10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc.

This is a discussion on 10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From "A Tailored Suit" 10 Tips to Properly Conceal Carry when wearing a Menís Suit, Blazer, or Sport Jacket 1. Take your measurements with your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

10 Tips to Properly Carry Concealed w/ a Men’s Suit, Blazer, etc.

From "A Tailored Suit"

10 Tips to Properly Conceal Carry when wearing a Menís Suit, Blazer, or Sport Jacket

1. Take your measurements with your firearm Ė when working with a new tailor, be upfront that you are carrying a concealed weapon before he measures you. Some clothiers may have an issue, and itís best to be transparent before you find yourself in an awkward situation.

2. Add an extra layer of lining or canvas to the bottom 12 inches of jacket; this will increase the stiffness and as mentioned reduce printing. Extra fabric to prevent printing of a concealed carry firearm can be added after the fact, but it is best if itís designed and woven into a custom jacket or suit where you have full control.

3. Add an extra Ĺ to 1 inch of length to the jacket (depending on your height) Ė this extra length will help ensure when you raise your arms you do not reveal that you are carrying a holstered firearm.

4. Make sure to have small arm holes to minimize the rise of the jacket when raising ones arms; this is related to the above point, but is separate as it cannot be altered and should be paid attention to when the jacket is purchased . Custom jackets and suits should be made standard with this feature.

5. Have small weights sewn into your jacket lining at the font bottom corners of your jacket, and ensure the corners are more square than rounded. This added weight and shape with extra fabric will help prevent you from flashing to the world you conceal carry. Another option is to turn the jacketís corners into small pockets where you can store a heavy coin such as a silver dollar or commemorative coin.

6. Select dark colored fabrics for your suits, sport jackets, and trousers; also patterns that break up lines such as herringbone, nailhead, and birdseye work well. Avoid pin stripes on a suit Ė they accentuate a bulge in the fabric and should never be worn when you look to conceal a firearm. Also avoid mixing light colored trousers with a dark suit Ė this draws the eye to the midsection where you may be carrying your weapon.

7. Consider stiff & heavy fabrics such as cotton, flannels, and winter weight wools. These naturally resist printing and require little if any of the specialty adjustments we discussed. Unfortunately they only look natural in cool weather areas.

8. Wear a matching dark colored vest. This eliminates the stark contrast between the light colored shirt and your firearm and if worn under your jacket enables you to take your coat off without startling your officemates. Few suit vests can properly conceal a gun, so this is a supplemental item and does not substitute for a jacket. Wearing both a jacket and vest over your concealed weapon should be avoided if possible as it makes it harder to reach you weapon.

9. Sew in a plastic rod or zip strap like piece along the jacketís front openings. This stiffens the fabric edge and enables you to easily flip it out of the way for a quicker draw.

10. Consider a sartorial distraction such as a pocket square or boutonniere. A man wearing a flower in his lapel is less likely to be suspected of carrying a weapon by a casual observer. Nevertheless, this trick calls attention to the wearer, so it is only advised if the wearer is otherwise the center of attention, such as when delivering a speech. Like any magician will tell you, the key is to direct your audience's attention on what you want them to focus on.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Great find, and some good information.

Thanks JD!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    10. Consider a sartorial distraction such as a pocket square or boutonniere. A man wearing a flower in his lapel is less likely to be suspected of carrying a weapon by a casual observer.
    I did a spit-take on this. Talk about pulling "facts" out of one's keester...

Where's the citation to back up that assertion? I did LOL, however.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I did a spit-take on this. Where's the citation to back up that assertion? I did LOL, however.
    Don't ask me, I'm just reposting it. I hardly ever wear a suit.

And yes, my last two coats were done while carrying.

Don't ask me, I'm just reposting it. I hardly ever wear a suit.

And yes, my last two coats were done while carrying.
    I often wear suits, and this post inspired lots of personal mirth. I'm waiting for someone to post "How to Carry Wearing Lederhosen."

...or this guy...

Erick46590 likes this.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I often wear suits, and this post inspired lots of personal mirth. I'm waiting for someone to post "How to Carry Wearing Lederhosen."

Smartcarry?

Smartcarry?
    Looks like this guy took your advice, JD!

Sounds good until the "small arm holes" any thing that hinders the draw or aim is unwanted, small arm holes in coats will cause the arms to bind, and if the "talior"isn't truly trained in it the cut wil hamper the chest and back when it comes to the same set, every thing else is pretty much spot on , the way I have had suits made for the last 50 years

Looks like this guy took your advice, JD!

Erick46590 and ppkheat like this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    Sounds good until the "small arm holes" any thing that hinders the draw or aim is unwanted, small arm holes in coats will cause the arms to bind, and if the "talior"isn't truly trained in it the cut wil hamper the chest and back when it comes to the same set, every thing else is pretty much spot on , the way I have had suits made for the last 50 years
    I think what they're getting at is "not over-large holes". I've seen off-the-rack jackets with arm holes that are half the height of the jacket. If you lift your arm, the hem will be in your armpit. A well-fit suit will have range of motion without binding or rising too much.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I found a patch on the inside of the lining to be critical in delaying the wear and tear on the inside lining of the jacket that the butt of the gun always seemed to cause. If you don't put a patch there, and replace as necessary, you may find you now have a hole that the butt of the gun will find its way into. It can foul a draw.

When at funerals be careful how you grab somebody and do the hug thing. If your right arm goes over their shoulder and your left arm around their waist, guess where their left arm/hand winds up?

That's all well and good, until you take your jacket off.

My customers and co-workers would probably not appreciate knowing that I'm armed. The Smartcarry and pocket carry methods work well. No fancy tailoring of my suits required.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

great post, thanks for the tips.
    NYS Unrestricted
    PA CCP
    FL CCP
    Reading, Learning, Doing

Good post...there's always something to think about while carrying!
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Distinguished Member
    Nice information, thanks.

And, predictably, I loved #10. Excellent point, this is one of the oldest tricks in the book for women.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links