Nevada To Honor Arizona? - Page 3

Nevada To Honor Arizona?

This is a discussion on Nevada To Honor Arizona? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They would get permit fees but then the NV CCW instructors would complain just like the NM instructors cried and NM dropped UT. Everyone seems ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nevada To Honor Arizona?

They would get permit fees but then the NV CCW instructors would complain just like the NM instructors cried and NM dropped UT. Everyone seems to have some skin in the game.

I solved the BS and just got a NV CCW.

A Thought

After doing some reading, I wonder if we are going to see some big changes in NV's reciprocity. There is a bill currently in NV's Senate which would require one to qualify with 1 semi-automatic weapon NRA-ILA :: Nevada: Right-to-Carry bill clears committee hurdle .
    If this is the case they may agree with more states, if the semi-automatic requirements are relaxed. I did apply for a RI non-resident and had to shoot a gun great or equal to the caliber that I was going to carry (shot with a .45 and I usually carry a 40 S&W or 9mm). If you look at most other state requirements there are little or no requirements in the experience of shooting. I don’t claim to have the answer, BUT it makes sense that NV has little reciprocity as they have certain shooting requirements for their permit. I have my fingers crossed and hope to see AZ and states that have a shooting component gain recognition.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Even if they did change that portion they might get pressure to still require the class from a NV CCW instructor for NR permits because of the lost income to the instructors. IIRC Nevada does not recognize any states that offer NR permits so maybe that's not an issue affecting reciprocity.The instructors in NM complained about UT NR permits and NM dropped UT. UT now require an applicant for a NR permit to have a permit from their home state that UT also recognizes.

It's always about the Benjamins

Nevada honors ours. But New Mexico won't, which makes no sense at all. Both states require reciprocal agreements, but dont' seem that motivated to really work on them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I bet there is a back story for each one, honored or not. It's politics.

It's mainly a money thing. Nevada was losing the revenue to UT and FL who offerred easy, remote, non-resident permits. So, Nevada dropped receiprocity with all states that offer non-resident permits.
    NRA Life Member

According to this press release from the NVSCA UT and FL were dropped because UT does not require live fire and FL extended their permit length to 7 years

Press Release

Such a pain for those of us in the military who move often. My pile of CCWs is steadily increasing. I try not to think about all the $$$ I've spent taking the same class over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    According to this press release from the NVSCA UT and FL were dropped because UT does not require live fire and FL extended their permit length to 7 years

Press Release
    And you believe everything you read? Maybe so, and it is a coincidence that the two states they dropped were the only ones that offered non-resident permits. In fact, I would suspect that UT and FL have provided more non-resident permits that any other state.
    NRA Life Member

If you have evidence to the contrary, then perhaps I'd agree with you. But your stated reason for the dropped states is supposition and it's a guess or some nameless person's opinion unless you have a cite to support your statement. I have zero reason to believe the official press release is untrue.

I'll believe the NVSCA explanantion until someone can prove it's not true. Perhaps the reason FL and UT issue the most non resident permits is because of their minimal requirements . The other press release said the Nevada Dept. of Public Safety asked for a review of NV training standards. The NVSCA didn't do this on their own. Unless two NV state agencies are making this up.

http://www.nvsca.com/pressreleases/C...nition2010.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    It's mainly a money thing. Nevada was losing the revenue to UT and FL who offerred easy, remote, non-resident permits. So, Nevada dropped receiprocity with all states that offer non-resident permits.
    I think if it was $$$....It would have been a whole lot easier just to say "NV residents must have a NV permit to carry in NV.." then to mess up the reciprocity agreements....

I just returned from training with Kurt Gepke for my Nevada CCW. It all went like clock work. I was able to train on Saturday and filled out my paperwork on Monday and flew back today. Flying in and out of McCarren airport was a breeze. Kurt did the training in a relaxed non-classroom format that ended with live fire.

Update: still not official yet but it's looking very much like a done deal:

Concealed Weapons Permits of 15 States to Be Accepted in NV - FOX 11 News 11 at 11 Story - KRXI Reno

The Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association members agreed at a meeting last month to recognize the carry concealed weapon permits of 15 states as being valid in Nevada beginning July 1.
    Why does Nevada allow the Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association have any say in reciprocity issues? They're a professional association, not a govermental agency/organization.

I can't answer your question as to why but it's the law:

NRS 202.3689: Department Of Public Safety to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits:

1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:

(a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.

(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links