Yes, a .22 will kill you - Page 2

Yes, a .22 will kill you

This is a discussion on Yes, a .22 will kill you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wasn't Bond's choice of target the left eye, with his Beretta .25....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Yes, a .22 will kill you

Wasn't Bond's choice of target the left eye, with his Beretta .25.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Someone was shot and killed with a .22 pistol 2 years ago in my 'hood. A few years earlier I think someone was shot and killed with a .22 rifle. I know I'm not volunteering to be shot with one anytime soon.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Guantes,
    I believe you are correct. It's also very effective if you put it in their ear and empty it.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Wasn't Bond's choice of target the left eye, with his Beretta .25.
    List of James Bond firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like he carried quite a bit of weapons. I mostly remember the PPK (My dad always watched the super old ones with me as a child.)

Back on topic: Glad the woman was armed and is OK. Better a .22 then throwing rocks

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I have been a Paramedic for 20 plus year. I have seen more people killed with .22 and .25's. The general reason is the guns are normally available very cheap and the ammo as well. I can only remember a few shooting involving large caliber hand guns. Several hunting accidents with large rifles cal. Most of the people I have seen dead with 22 where hit somewhere low and the bullet traveled through the body cavity creating the greatest trauma. Very few have ever been straight entrance and exit. I guess the small amount of foot pounds of force causes the small projectile to have a bounce effect inside the body. .25 about the same......

Just took a guy to trial who took a plea deal in a robbery homicide. Victim wasn't so lucky, shot and killed by 1 shot from a .22, fired from an H&R nine shot revolver. I don't think it's luck, too many people killed with it. Never underestimate the mighty .22. It's a killer.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

A lady was shot in the head execution style and killed in our local Wal Mart a few years ago by her estranged boyfriend...it was a .22 revolver.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yep - so often people underestimate the .22LR

I have a friend who is convinced that the .22LR could not kill him under any circumstance. He swears if I shot him in the head it would bounce off of his skull. Unfortunately, there is no way to win this argument with him. If I don't shoot him, he won't believe it. If I do shoot him then he will be dead and will never know that he was wrong.

I carry my Walther P22 as a self-defense weapon sometimes when my Glock won't fit and my wife has taken my smaller .380 pistol. I really have no insecurity about carrying it at all. Granted, if I knew a situation was about to happen, I'd much rather have my Glock 19. But I wouldn't hesitate to use the little .22 if the situation demanded.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I think my next gun - for myself- will probably be one of those .22mag pocket pistols. Not the best choice exactly, but really easy to hide.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

adric22, I believe your friend is correct. Apparently his skull is VERY thick and it would have no effect.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well heck, a pneumatic stapler can kill you. A tablespoon can kill you. A rolled up magazine can kill you. But you don't see SWAT teams using them as primary weapons do ya? There are better choices for speedy stops that aren't AS dependent on shot placement. Incidentally, the .22LR has the highest fatality:shot ratio of any gun. (They are used more often in execution style murders).

Dan
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Our Sheriff's Department was testing penetration on an old armored vest. The two rounds that penetrated deepest were a .357 Sig and a .22 target load fired from a .22 rifle. One of the deputies commented "I'll never say he only had a .22 again!'
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Ditto to honeybee, lot of EMS experience, seen a lot of .22 fatalities. Had a suicide in my town about a month ago, DRT. (Dead Right There)

RKM
    In self defense, killing isn't the motive. Stopping the threat is the motive. As .22 may stop the threat in some cases, it's not powerful enough to have immediate results on a dedicated attacker. Most people survive gunshot wounds from even powerful calibers if medical attention is received almost immediately. But even a .22 can kill with lack or medical attention, for example murders. Who cares if it can kill. Of course it can. That doesn't make it a good self defense caliber, in my opinion.

I have 3/8 in steel knock over plates that I use for my pistol shooting, 9mm 40, 38 respectively. I recently bought a 22 rifle and decided to shoot at these from about 50 yards. I was hoping to hear a ping or something and thought maybe they would move around a little. They were scattered around a sandbank, slightly dug in. To my surprise the 22 knocked them over with force out of my rifle. Maybe a 22 isn't so bad after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links