Hospital carry

This is a discussion on Hospital carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had an unfortunate occasion to accompany my sister to the emergency room this evening, and found this sign posted on arrival. What authority does the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hospital carry

Hospital carry

Had an unfortunate occasion to accompany my sister to the emergency room this evening, and found this sign posted on arrival. What authority does the hospital believe let's them confiscate anything from anyone is my question.

2011-05-14_19-30-02_576.jpg
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

2. Remove Ads

Subject to search and seizure? I don't think so! They can ask you to leave, and in some states, if you do not, they can call the "real" police and have you arrested for trespassing. But to search and seize...NOT!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

In my hospital we have a weapons locker in the ER for the storage of any firearm that comes in with an injured person. LEOS that come in injured hand their weapons off to other LEOS. The only thing we confiscate is the occasional boxcutter or steak knife from an impaired person or minor.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Subject to search and seizure? I don't think so! They can ask you to leave, and in some states, if you do not, they can call the "real" police and have you arrested for trespassing. But to search and seize...NOT!
    I agree, if you've done nothing wrong, and they do not suspect you of doing anything wrong...they cannot just pick you out of a crowd and search you.

We can't have weapons here in the Gainesville area hospitals because the hospitals are attached to the University of Florida, and college carry is a big no-no. Therefore, no hospital carry here...nor would I try CC as I do not wish to lose my CCW permit if found out for any reason.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My grandaughter has spent more than 130 days in the CHOA hospital in the last 5 years where we live out of her 8 years on this earth. There are no signs about CCW and I have checked all areas of the hospital and do not feel the need to carry in the hospital. I do not have an issue with this hospital and the need to carry a gun into the hospital. I do have my EDC in my vehicle that parks in their parking lot.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

i've spent alot of time in ours (visiting people) and it's posted, problem is that the sign is non compliant, so it means jack squat

A small few hospitals in CO have metal detaectors at the ER, but most say nothing, a few are posted with small signs. I was in an ER where my wife works and an employee of hers was attacked by a guy on drugs. we were called late at night so I went with her. I carried, no sign, the city PD were everywhere and no problems. Thet seem to hang out there in the ER ever since. I even had a knife clipped to my pocket.

Is this a private hospital? Private property rights win every time over right to carry.

It's private property. If you enter the premises you are subject to their rules and policies. There exists implied consent. If you don't want to be subject to such, don't enter.

Here in Michigan it's illegal to carry concealed in a hospital, but if one has a CPL and is openly carrying, it's legal -private property rights aside.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It's private property, but it wasn't posted. I think each hostipal CEO can make the call.

It all depends on what state you're in. In Nevada there is no statute preventing carry in a hospital (with the exception of the university hospital, which is a school campus.) a hospital can post the door (all of them) and you can be asked to leave if observed with a firearm. Failure to do so makes you guilty of trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    It all depends on what state you're in. In Nevada there is no statute preventing carry in a hospital (with the exception of the university hospital, which is a school campus.) a hospital can post the door (all of them) and you can be asked to leave if observed with a firearm. Failure to do so makes you guilty of trespass.
    like others have stated it all depends on the state and their laws, in FLA if the hospital has a mental patient part it could be off limits or if the hospital is a school or teaching hospital it too could be off limits.
    The OP needs to get better advice than most of us can offer him

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    like others have stated it all depends on the state and their laws,
    This is Saint Vincents hospital in Birmingham AL. There are no laws in Alabama that disallow ccw in hospitals, or college campuses, though this one is not on a campus. It just irked me that the hospital thinks they have any authority to search anyone, let alone sieze someones private property. The hospital does have security officers, but they are not police and do not have arrest power.

As this was an emergency and my sister had just arrived by ambulance, I ignored the sign and proceeded about my business without incident.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Considering the kinds of people that can show up at a hospital emergency room, maybe the sign is just up there to encourage them to shed their weapons before entering. It doesn't say anyone will actually be searched just that they are "subject" to it. Under certain circumstances, if the police were called and they had probable cause or whatever, I suppose anybody could be subject to being searched and having weapons and illegal substances confiscated. The sign sounds intimidating and was probably written to sound that way, but unless I was doing something illegal, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I could put the same sign on the front door of my house if I wanted to.

VIP Member
    Search and siezure without cause is questionable. As for hospital carry here in Virginia, the only one prohibited by law is Medical College of Virginia, which is part of VCU, which is the only University prohibited by statute. Here in the Richmond area, none of the hospitals owned by HCA are posted. Not sure about the ones owned by Bon Secour.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links