CCW from LEO's POV

CCW from LEO's POV

This is a discussion on CCW from LEO's POV within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive if this is a re-post. Print Story*:*Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon*-*PoliceOne.com...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Bubbiesdad
  • 3 Post By HKinNY
  • 1 Post By BadgerJ

Thread: CCW from LEO's POV

Stubborn and garyacman like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

"Concealed carry folks and cops seem to go to the same tailor generally speaking, most will not look like dirt bags."

I do not fit in, in anyway he describes what he looks for or what a general armed citizen may look like.

I wear jeans, flannels, have a full beard, and hair down to the middle of my back. I look like a Vermonter not a dirtbag
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    "Concealed carry folks and cops seem to go to the same tailor generally speaking, most will not look like dirt bags."

I do not fit in, in anyway he describes what he looks for or what a general armed citizen may look like.

I wear jeans and flannels and have hair down to the middle of my back. I look like a Vermonter not a dirtbag
    Me to. I look like an under cover agent. Go Tee, hair past the shoulders, and a ball cap on backwards, but Im a nice guy.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I went and read the story on citizens assisting officers as well. As a side note, Oklahoma statutes actually specify punishment for failing to assist an officer who requests it. Can't remember off the top of my head what the punishment is exactly, but I know it's there.

They're both interesting articles. I don't really fit in completely. In the summer I'm in cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I don't actually like leather belts for IWB, I prefer canvas.

I do like how he says that citizens with CWLs should be treated initially as the law-abiding citizens we generally are. Both times I encountered officers they did just that. One of those times he gave me a warning when I'm pretty sure he was about to give me a ticket. The other was a traffic accident that wasn't my fault. We didn't even call the officer, he just happened by. When he pulled up I walked over, introduced myself with a shake of the hand and gave him my DL and CWL. He said thanks for letting him know, asked me where it was, then smiled and told me as long as I didn't touch mine he wouldn't touch his. After the exchange of information the other driver took off, and while I was waiting on a tow truck the officer and I chatted about how he doesn't much like polymer frames like my M&P and how he fully supports the right to carry, knowing that if he ever needed help, of all the people around those of us who carry are the most likely to render assistance.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Good article, he covers a lot of what is looked for.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Great Article. should be faxed or email to every LEO agency.
    RevolvingMag, poppy37 and Dragman like this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Thanks "Bubbiesdad" for somevery useful insight. I have always prided myself on keeping my weapon completely hidden, and was just "tipped-off" through your post of a dead give-away that I had never considered. The position of the cell phone.

Are they right- or left-handed? Most carry the gun on the strong side of the body. What side of the body is the wrist watch on (if you can see it)? Right handers generally wear the watch on the opposite hand. This will tip you off on where to look. Is there a cell phone that you can see? What side are they wearing it on? If not on the strong side, then maybe there is a reason for the off-side carry? Possible indicator.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Really interesting and informative article. Should be mandatory reading for all LEOs. Although I wear 5.11s sometime, most of the time I wear Levis, boots, Ts and open short sleeve shirts in summer, long sleeve and jackets in winter. I do wear Oakley prescription sunglasses on my eye doctor's advice (they work great on the Harley, as well), and have a full, but neatly trimmed beard, and long hair. I guess I fit the profile of half concealed carrier and half dirt bag.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'm a little of both, appearance wise. Sometimes I look the 'biker' (jeans, boots, t-shirt, and leather vest which is how I conceal my shoulder rig with .357 or .45), sometimes I look a 'respectable' citizen (jeans, polo, boots- wearing my IWB usually with a .357). Or, on REALLY rare occasions, I end up in a suit. Then I'm just outright SEXY (I can conceal anything in my suit- I've tried with my guns, really want to try with something over the top though. Like a .454, or... I don't know... maybe a Raging Judge).
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I've read this prior and consider it a good article and adherence to some of the points by both LE and the citizenry would make things go smoother for both groups.

Something sometimes lost in LE these days is that they and the citizenry are on the same side, or should be.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

really good article.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Here it sounds like he's referring to the LEO:

"I don’t expect them to be experts on the law. Most will understand the gist of it but may get lost on certain points."

Unfortunately, often all too true.
    rammerjammer likes this.

His profile fits me about 50%, but that will get you a job as a meteorologist!

I'm a bit bothered that he thinks carriers are generally lawful, but details how to search one for every last weapon.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Sponsored Links