Defensive Carry banner

First Walmart walk complete

4K views 38 replies 35 participants last post by  Crescentstar 
#1 ·
Just got home from first time cc. Wife went to Wal Mart with me and just watched to let me know if I was acting different. She knows me better than anybody so she would know. She says at first i seemed nervous but by the time we left she forgot that I was carrying. I need to watch my hands because I couldnt keep from checking to make sure my shirt wasnt up. Hopefully over time this will be a non issue. Over all a good experiance.

#4 ·
Great feeling isn't it? Stay safe and work on getting the Mrs. to join you!! I never thought mine would, but she does and we both feel better about it!!

#6 ·
OK.... now, who's showing him the handshake ? Good job.

Ignore that constant urge at first to check your cover garment ...... or shirt. Or, learn how to do it very discreetely.

#7 ·
The hand checking is a huge tell. I check once when I get out of my car or if i stand up from sitting. After that you gotta leave it alone. :)

#8 ·
welcome to the club. Just like everyone will tell you, the feeling of checking on your gun or having thoughts that everyone is looking at you will go away. no one really is paying attention. I was with my brother and we were playing a dancing game and I took of my shirt, totally forgetting that I even had my XD40 on my hip. he was sitting right at my strong side, inches to my gun, in plain view, while I was standing and he had no clue I had it on till i mentioned how I was jumping around with it on my hip. so if you have a great holster and belt, you will be golden

#9 ·
Congrats on the walk! You will get more and more comfortable over time until it becomes second nature, then you will feel "naked" when you are not carrying! As others have said, concentrate on NOT constantly checking your handgun. Check when you first get up or out of the car, etc., then keep you hand away from it unless you have to draw. :yup:

#10 ·
Many times I have my cell phone next to my EDC, the phone prints more then the EDC, and totally camouflages the EDC. If I am seen checking, it looks like I am checking the phone. Hopefully when the Gov. here in Fl. signs SB-234 I won't be as concerned if it prints accidentally.

And congratulations or your WWW. As others have stated, soon you will feel strange IF you Don't have it with you. :smile:

#11 ·
AMEN to that "rcsnpr", waiting for Gov. Rick Scott to sign all 3 PRO 2a bills on his desk. Kinda sorry we lost the open carry part of the bill, but thankful for the rest.
Congrats to "mjblat" on his first armed wally world dance.

#13 ·
Congrats! It will soon become about as noticeable as your wrist watch!

#14 ·
As you become less self-conscious about CC-ing, your demeanor and how you react to/treat people will/should also change a bit. If you're in anyway like me, things that used to bother or frustrate you probably won't anymore. I am now much more friendlier, tolerant, relaxed and patient (or at least I appear to be) than I was when I was unarmed. You will find that this is a natural progression/process to CC-ing. However, that's not to say that I'm less aware of my surroundings, etc.

#21 ·
It's been quite a while (and the memory ain't what it used to be) so I don't recall exactly where I was when I first CC'd. But as the OP and others have shared, I do recall being very self-conscious about it. Of course, over time, self-(internal) consciousness has naturally progressed to external awareness...a good thing.

#22 ·
the traditional wal-mart walk....lol, congrads.

pay attention when sitting down at restrauants in the booths--avoid the 'klunk' of metal on wood.
anticipate hugs...women like to come in low around the waist so you have to get your arms at their waist 1st thus they will raise their arms closer to your shoulders.
at the supermarket--top shelf, reach with the hand opposite your strong side carry so your shirt/jacket will be less able to ride up or flap open.
also bend at the knees so you wont print at the waist.
and beware the 4 year old who can look up & under your jacket and tell mommie loudly...'he's got a gun like daddies'

think of a dozen more and than a dozen more again
dont keep checking when you get out of your car...a holster with proper retention will not shift

and fineally, when you win the big bingo pot--don't jump up & down hollerin 'i won, i won' and fire 3 rounds into the ceiling.
no matter how good an idea it seemed at the moment:rolleyes:

#25 ·
and fineally, when you win the big bingo pot--don't jump up & down hollerin 'i won, i won' and fire 3 rounds into the ceiling.
no matter how good an idea it seemed at the moment:rolleyes:
Should I have not done that?

:wave:

#23 ·
Congrats, as a fellow noob who just starting carrying within the last couple of months I can tell you the hardest thing for me has also been the hand-checking BUT I think I am getting better...lol...I can also tell you just having come back from a trip to the great Commonwealth of Massachustts that you really do feel naked without when you don't have it on you!! Best of luck in your transition.

#24 ·
Well, I have my first day of carrying at work out of the way. I still need to work on my hands but i can tell im already getting better. I am starting with my LCP and will move up to my G26 once im more relaxed. Thanks for all of the good advice. Talking about doing it and really doing are worlds apart. Glad this site was available.

#26 ·
Funny, I didn't pick Wal-Mart intentionally for my first carry experience, but I do believe that's the first place I went.

I've been carrying for a couple of months now and finally getting to the point where I'm not checking my shirt to ensure I'm still concealed. It's so comfortable now that when my wife asked me to make an unplanned stop and buy stamps at the post office I got out of my truck and was a few steps away before I realized I needed to leave it in the truck!

SRJ

#27 ·
Congrats! :congrats:

You'll be used to carrying in no time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.