CC on Private Property

This is a discussion on CC on Private Property within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is a permit needed on Private Property with landowner permission?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC on Private Property

CC on Private Property

Is a permit needed on Private Property with landowner permission?

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

2. Remove Ads

Generally, I would think not, but that could vary with local statutes and particular locations.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

it varies some places you'd be ok in others not so, it also depends on what the private property is, if it is wide open spaces you shouldn't have problems, if it is a bar in FLA you will

This would be private property in the Nazi-Maryland State.....

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    same theory applies, if out in open country you shouldn't have a problem, in more urban areas you could have issues

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Generally, I would think not, but that could vary with local statutes and particular locations.
    Best advice, check the laws where you are.

Here : NO .... you can't CC at all without a license, not even if you are the landowner and on your own land. Can open carry as the landowner.
    Last edited by Eagleks; May 18th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

GM
    I believe the best you can do is to check your state laws.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it varies some places you'd be ok in others not so, it also depends on what the private property is, if it is wide open spaces you shouldn't have problems, if it is a bar in FLA you will
    For a while ago, a NRA instructor told me that in Florida if you do not have a concealed weapons permit you are not allowed to CC at all; that without a permit it is illegal to CC even on your own property. I do not know if this is true or not. If any member knows a credible source of information about this topic it should be very much appreciated if he/she please posted it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    For a while ago, a NRA instructor told me that in Florida if you do not have a concealed weapons permit you are not allowed to CC at all; that without a permit it is illegal to CC even on your own property. I do not know if this is true or not. If any member knows a credible source of information about this topic it should be very much appreciated if he/she please posted it.
    It would seem that your instructor is correct. The FL law (see here, section 790.01) looks pretty specific on the matter.

Bad law, bad, bad law. Got to your corner.

Here in SD, CC on one's own property is legal without a permit.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Going to depend on the state laws where your at. Some will allow it if the property owner gives his permission. Others allow only the property owner and immediate family to carry without permit on their own property.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good question. Might depend on area. Ask your local pistol-permit office for law in your locale.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    It would seem that your instructor is correct. The FL law (see here, section 790.01) looks pretty specific on the matter.

Bad law, bad, bad law. Got to your corner.

Here in SD, CC on one's own property is legal without a permit.
    Yes sir, section 790.01 addresses the matter. Thank you so very much for the information.

I do not know in the "Nazi-Maryland", but obviously a permit is needed in the gun friendly Florida.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Here's what Maryland Code says.......................

Legal Resources

4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.
    (a) Prohibited.-

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    (b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:

6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

---------------------------------------------
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    FWIW;

Here is Michigans answer:

Question
    Do I need a concealed pistol permit to carry my pistols while walking through the woods near my cabin in Michigan? If not, are there any restrictions on how or where the gun is carried?

Answer
    MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a pistol concealed or not if you are in your own home or on your own property. If you do not own the land, no license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol permit. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed. Department of Natural Resources regulations require a person to have a valid Michigan hunting license if in an area inhabited by wildlife, while in possession of a firearm.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

According to this Melbourne, Florida Attorney's website there are exceptions.

Exceptions to carrying a concealed weapon without a license

There are some circumstances where you can carry a concealed weapon without a license. Below is a list of the exceptions:

Individuals who have firearms at their home or privately owned place of business
    Members of clubs organized for collecting or exhibiting antique firearms
    Individuals engaged in hunting, fishing or camping who have the proper hunting licenses
    Individuals engaged in lawful manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms

These exceptions are very narrow and apply to very specific instances. It is best to apply for a concealed weapons license if you need to carry a weapon on a regular basis.
    Melbourne Criminal Defense Attorney on Carrying a Concealed Weapon | Germain & Coulter
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Thanks for the advice...Having a yard sale this weekend. Usually pull in about 2k in cash.
    I think I'll just keep a shotgun handy (but out of sight) in lieu of carrying.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links