Does sweat damage gun?

This is a discussion on Does sweat damage gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Ruger LCP and a pocket holster. The possibility that the moisture build-up in my pockets while working out and potential damage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does sweat damage gun?

Does sweat damage gun?

I just bought a Ruger LCP and a pocket holster. The possibility that the moisture build-up in my pockets while working out and potential damage to the gun has been coming to mind. I suppose that a handgun is exposed to some degree of moisture whether you're carrying IWB or in a pocket holster so maybe I'm overthinking it. Has anyone observed any corrosion to the parts of their gun from pocket carry? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    Yes, more with blue, and nickel. Just wipe it down with a CLP rag after workouts.

Like any mechanical tool made of steel, it will rust and corrode if you fail to properly maintain it. There is no getting around that. If you're lazy, expect some rust and corrosion.

The military run their weapons through the ringer... salt, spray, wind, dirt, sand, rain, dings, dents & gouges, you name it. If you do your part, your weapon should last longer than you do.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Over time, yes the rust will start cropping up. My daily carry during the late spring through late fall gets rust along the frame and under the grips. The bluing has worn off and the inboard side that sits against the leather in my [not] CBST IWB is the most problematic. Been carrying in the same holster 15/7 for over 4 years.

As soon as I get the new Poly full size version (if I like it) then my all steel is getting Duracoated.

I have found that Gunzilla seems to work the best for warding off the rust for 3-4 days. Works better than any other gun oils that I have tried.

On edit....To more specifically answer your question, if left untreated [cleaned/removed] then yes it will damage your weapon and could potentially make it either unreliable or non functional.

Some carriers are subject to extreme environments and it is not an indicator of being lazy of your weapons finish starts to wear and/or rust develops. It is a matter of manufacturer finish quality, and method of carry.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Does age damage the body?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Yes and I carry a Ruger LCP in a Uncle George rear pocket holster. I purchased my LCP with the hard chrome finish to help resist corrosion. I still wipe it down with soft dry cloth after I am through carrying it concealed for the day. Pocket carry has many advantages but also some drawbacks, one being due diligence to regular cleaning and lubrication of your pistol and more often perhaps than any other method of concealed carry.
    God bless our troops!

Administrator
    Give your firearm a coating of Renaissance Wax. Available on Ebay. It's a great protective barrier for metal against acidic sweat.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Does age damage the body?
    It sure as hell did mine.

Down here in Florida going from inside A/C to the humid outside and back and forth all day allows condensation to build up on a holstered firearm and all my holsters are leather so they really hold moister. The silicone rag daily wipedown which has been mentioned has kept my Glocks and Diamondback corrosion free. My Hi-Power because of the 47 year old original blueing gets special attention even though it spends most of it's time in the gunsafe with diseccants or however you spell those little baggie things that say not to eat them.
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Give your firearm a coating of Renaissance Wax. Available on Ebay. It's a great protective barrier for metal against acidic sweat.
    Hey man, thanks for the tip!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I agree 100%. Since I began using Renaissance Wax and Eezox I have never had rust problems again. I tried many different things before, but the rust always came back; Renaissance Wax and Eezox are the only two that work for me. And the Renaissance Pre-Lim surface cleaner works very well too!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I agree 100%. Since I began using Renaissance Wax and Eezox I have never had rust problems again. I tried many different things before, but the rust always came back; Renaissance Wax and Eezox are the only two that work for me. And the Renaissance Pre-Lim surface cleaner works very well too!
    How does the wax work on a dull, flat, matt finish?
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    How does the wax work on a dull, flat, matt finish?
    It works very well. Honestly, I do not understand why people do not use Renaissance Wax and Eezox (Eezox premium synthetic lubricants from Warren Custom Outdoor Products) so much; they are very good products.

Excerpt from RENAISSANCE Microcrystalline WAX POLISH:
    For Use On:
    Furniture, Antique & New Sculpture, Porcelain, Pottery & Ceramics; Cutlery Knives, Swords, Armor; Jewelry, Carvings, Antiquities, Bibelots, Hardware, Wood Interiors, Fine Books, Clocks, Paintings, Oils, Acrylics, Gouaches, Tempera, Alkyds, Pastels, Oil Sticks, Martins Dyes, India Inks, Photographic Prints, Carvings, Engraving, Scrimshaw, Architectural Ornaments, PLUS; Automobiles, Boats and Yachts, Decoys, Golf Clubs, Firearms, Frames, Kitchen Cabinets, Counters, Appliances, and much more!

SAFE to protect all these Materials:
    Wood; raw & finished. Leather, Parchment & Paper. Metal; Silver, Silverplate, Gold, Copper & Copper Alloys (Bronze, Brass, Tin, Zinc, German Silver, Nickel), Lead & Pewter, Iron & Iron Alloys, Tin & Tin Alloys. Damascus; Stone, Marble, Onyx, Limestone, Granite, Brick, Tile, Terrazzo, Obsidian, Alabaster; Gems, Glass, Porcelain, Holloware, Bone, Ivory, Horn, Shell & Mother-of-Pearl, Gutta Percha, Dammars; Gilding & Gold Leaf, Patinas. Enamel, Lacquer, Japanning, Cloute, Pose d'Or, Pique Point, Varnish, Marbleizing, Stains & Artificial Graining. Plastics, Formicas, Paints, Polyvinyl Acetates, Esters of Polymethyacrylic, Polycyclohexanones, Fiberglas Epoxy Resins, and much more!

GM, thanks, I'll have to give the stuff a try.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    GM, thanks, I'll have to give the stuff a try.
    You are welcome sir. Give them a try, you will not regret it.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Mine, after a lot of carry, devoloped a speck of rust in the cavity of the rear site due to sweat and body salts. I simply made a mental note to wipe it down with a rem oil towell every couple of days and everything is fine. I swap holsters about every two weeks in the summer to keep mosture down.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links