Will terrorist threats make you carry more...? - Page 2

Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

This is a discussion on Will terrorist threats make you carry more...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regardless of all the road construction going on and what not. I had a fun time in Nashville about 4 months ago. But what I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Regardless of all the road construction going on and what not. I had a fun time in Nashville about 4 months ago.
    But what I didn't like was we pulled into 3 gas stations in 3 days. When we did, 2 out of the 3 just got robbed. Thank God our luck held and we never got in the middle of a robbery. This was before my CCW.
    Nevertheless, I'd still try to avoid getting involved...

1943 - 2009
    So do terrorist threats influence your carry decisions?
    Not in the least.

I doubt there are any targets in Montana that would attract the attention of Al-Qaida, Hezbollah, Hamas, or the like.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

OD*
    "It is a Jihad for God's sake and will last until (our) religion prevails," al-Zawahri said. "We will attack everywhere."
    No, say it ain't so, the religion of peace?!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

After reading "Teeth Of The Tiger" I decided I have to carry everywhere I can.

Funny, I found myself re-reading the mall attack chapter in "Teeth of the Tiger" recently....

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    Will terrorist threats make you carry more or not really be a factor in your decision?
    I should think that such threats would not be a consideration for most people here. I think most of us are already armed on a daily basis. The thing to consider is, how does that fact affect the decision making of the other side of the isle? Does it work a bit like mutually assured destruction, where in this case the planning of an operation is made more difficult by the rising numbers of concealed carry permits?

To be more succint; Is the planning of terror operations in the United States affected by the perception that many Americans are armed and will shoot to kill when faced with a threat raise the risk analyzed with regard to a successfull terror attack? Suddenly the terrorist must worry about not just the guys in uniforms, but all the ones not in uniform also. I have to wonder if, being that this is their key advantage; being a military unit that doesn't wear uniforms, if our modern militia; those of us who don't wear uniforms but carry arms, are the last best deterrent to terror attacks.

Can't legally carry more often than I do, so no, the terrorists won't impact me at all, unless I run into some of them!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    More often or more guns/ammo? I carry 24/7 now.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I carry 24/7 as they say, or as often as I am awake and not in the shower. Terrorists don't make me carry more, as that is not possible anyway. They are part of the equation depending on where I am, but a small part. Gang bangers and thugs are more of a threat to the average American but I can see a time when that might change.

I am a little amazed that we haven't seen some kind of attack thus far in this country. I've often said that would really send most Americans into a tail spin should it happen. Let's hope it never dose.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Who cares about terrorist, carrying has been a way of life for me and I am always prepared regardless of the threat. If Iam not allowed to carry for some I always have something be it a knife, a ball point pen, my hands, whatever. Not saying that you are, but we should all ways be ready to protect us. Just my 2cents...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I carry everywhere I am legaly able to. I wil admit though that one of my reasons for deciding to carry was the unfortunate rise of terrorist activity in the past few years
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Inspite of shopping for a Glock on 9/11, it won't change my habits because I arm up the second before I head out the door anyway. I started carrying all the time because what comes across the scanner at work.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Betty -

I agree. The reason I decided on CCW is a huge increase in gangs here in NC, 500,000-600,000 illegal aliens, car-jackings, etc. Plus, I now work in a place downtown, where leaving late at night might be problematic. Glad to be armed.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I have carried 24/7 since 1995. I worked for the NYPD until 08/01 and left for a another police job in Westchester. I still went down to ground zero for 9/11 w/ police officers from my new job.

Prior to 9/11 I usually carried only a 5 shot S&W 640 w/ .38 +p rounds and a speedloader in a jacket pocket. So in the summer It was just the 640 and no speed loader. And that is what I carried to and from work in the South Bronx.

For some reason after 9/11 I found myself carrying a Glock 17 or 26 w/ a spare mag and usually the 640 as a BUG....and that was OFF DUTY. Not that I thought that being so well armed was going to let me take out all terrorists by myself, but it just made me feel better.

Now I have changed jobs again as of 2003 and my off duty carry is a Glock 27 with a spare mag. In the summer it is a S&W 340PD with .357 magnum loads and two speedloaders.

Call me paranoid....but it just makes me feel better. Since 9/11 I am definately carrying more ammo on me, not more often because I carry 24/7 anyway.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I took my concealed carry course before 9/11 but was'nt sure if I was was going apply for my permit. after 9/11 there was no question , I applied and have been carying every since. 9/11 was'nt the only reason but what I realized was the police, the state, or the federal government can not protect you.I am more aware of things going on around me now than maybe before

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links