Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

This is a discussion on Will terrorist threats make you carry more...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can not possibly carry any more than i do... Unless i carried in the shower perhaps??? Nah......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

I can not possibly carry any more than i do...

Unless i carried in the shower perhaps???

Nah...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    +1 for not being able to carry any more than I already do. I don't strap on my "batbelt" before slipping between the sheets. Nor do I have a pistol jammed in my nether regions while I shower. On top of all of that, I am infinately more concerned about home-grown scum-bags than I am about foreign ones. Ours shoot better.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I had a few classes on terrorism and on Al-Qaidas’ tactics, I have laid hands on a number of them when we transported them to Cuba, and stood on ground zero. I never believed that evil was a tangible thing that could be felt until I stood with in three feet of some of the truly bad guys that got airlifted to Cuba. They have one goal; to destroy you and everything that is American. There is no such thing as rehabilitation for a terrorist. They hated you yesterday; they hate you today and will hate you tomorrow. Care to guess what the number one wish that was expressed by the majority of those taken to Cuba was? If you guessed “I want to kill an American.” You would be correct.

I remember watching one of their training films (probably the same that were shone on 60 minutes or one of the other news shows) but the expiations were probable a bit different. The expiation that we received was that after they take over a target (school, hospital, mall etc) they are instructed to kill anyone that they think is an overt threat. Then kill anyone they think could become a threat. When they are left with the sheep they start making demands and kill one of the hostages every so often until the local PD or authorities are forced to act. Then they kill everyone. The demands are unimportant they plan on killing all the hostages regardless.

In most of the responses that I have read you carry 24/7 and terrorism is not your number one concern, and it shouldn’t be. We have too many home grown BG’s running around. I like the seat belt analogy.

Sorry folk’s terrorism is a hot button topic with me. I can’t stand to see the Chi Guevara T shirts either.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I decided to carry full time mostly because of local threats. However, I fully expect more terrorist activity here in the US, and this makes me more determined than ever to stay alert and not only carry, but try to have a little extra on board. I always carry an extra mag and a knife. Haven't carried a BUG as yet, but might start.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I bought a shotgun (12 GA Winchester Defender) the week after 9-11 for home defense, I had been thinking about it for years and finally did it because of 9-11.

Last year I read a book "Last Light" by Terri Blackstone. In it there is a worldwide power outage (something like a magnetic pulse) and motors will not work, water pumps failed we are basically put back in the 1700s. The things that people did to each other was amazing, people are really nasty when you have a bike and they don't or when you have an apple tree in your yard and there is no McDonald's around.

Mix that book with Katrina, the Tsunami, the London Subway bombings and I went out and bought a Kimber Ultra CDP. I got my CHL and I will always carry because of all of the things in this world that can hurt me, and mine.

So yes the threat of terrorism will keep me carrying.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

It couldn't make me carry more as I already carry everytime and everywhere I can.

Nope, it won't change a thing. I always have a weapon with me when I'm away from home anyway and so does my wife. Besides, I think most of us need to worry more about the "terrorists' that are already among us than any foreign imports... the burglars, thieves and anyone else looking to do us harm for an easy dollar or simply because they think they can.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Terroris threat or not, once I get my CHL I will carry any time and place the law allows it, beleive strongly in my quote, "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Eddie A.

I see that we think alike.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I agree with the prior posts. 24/7 is the rule of the day and has been since I became used to it. Now, not everyone is chillin' at a Jewish Center like the one just hit in Seattle (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206172,00.html), but there are probably enough of these kinds of BGs out there so no center of worship can be considered safe. The reality of the day is that anyone desiring to do harm to me or mine is to be considered a terrorist. --- Jeff

Will terrorist threats make you carry more or not really be a factor in your decision?
    Absolutely not. It's the miscreant with "idle hands" that most worries me, someone with nothing better to do than make trouble for those nearby. A smart career criminal is like a wolf, a very effective 'machine'; a dumb criminal is like a sick wolf, soon captured or killed; but the average miscreant is grossly unpredictable ... and getting more violent all the time. In a twisted sense, I'd almost rather face a smart criminal, in that you know where you stand. Who knows what today's little "synapse failures" are going to do next.

I guess what makes me think of this is I have yet to return to a "life of carry" (many know the story) and have begun to become more concerned.
    For me, a "life of carry" is for enhancement of life. Pure and simple. It's definitely not the negative-sounding burden this quote implies. Imagine how much riskier for BG's it would be if the risk of being captured or killed were increased 100-fold, by virtue of everyone carrying on a regular basis. Overall, assuming training of course, the streets would be far safer from such "average" miscreants and career BG's alike.

Concerned over terrorist plots? It's like incoming missiles: out of my hands.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 29th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When I travel now, I always carry my m4 and SHTF Bag.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Concerned over terrorist plots? It's like incoming missiles: out of my hands.
    I've got you covered. I am an engineer working on missile defense.

In small town America, at this point, no. It doesn't concern me. Frankly though if they wanted to spread real terror, they wouldn't target NYC or LA they'd do what they do in Israel and the Middle East....randomly bomb small-town malls and other random targets.

As a little guy in SC I pretty much know that I'm not going to be a victim of terrorism...and not to sound mean, but as long as you keep targeting major cities that vote Democrat, in the long run I come out better.

VIP Member
    I couldn't carry anymore than I do now. I have bought up more ammo tho.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links