Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

This is a discussion on Will terrorist threats make you carry more...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Miggy Carry More? IMHO you either carry all the time to the max the law allows you or it becomes just a ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Carry More? IMHO you either carry all the time to the max the law allows you or it becomes just a hobby not to be taken seriously. CCW is a constant discipline, a part of your life like breathing.
    +1 on Miggy

Now the threat of terrorism does keep me on my toes and more alert!

But I have been on high terror alert since 23 Oct 83!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Since I don't go out of the house without a gun, it would be difficult for me to carry more, so I guess the answer is no.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Carry More? IMHO you either carry all the time to the max the law allows you or it becomes just a hobby not to be taken seriously. CCW is a constant discipline, a part of your life like breathing.
    Oh Well said! Took the words from my mouth.

I can't carry at work, but my weapon is locked in the car and comes out when work is done. By my head when sleeping and on my side at all other times.

I personally don't watch out or carry because of terrorists. I try to observe everyone. I carry because of all the crazy people that are already here. I don't worry about the guy with the bomb on his chest. Like someone said.. if you see that guy, you are already dead. I carry because of the guy waiting by the ATM machine or the 7-11 robber.

I would say that the odds of us running into a terrorist are low. Much better chance of running into a crack head. You never know where it is going to come from.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It is unlikely, though possible, that a CCW will make a difference in a terrorist attack within the US. The most likely forms of attack are bombs of some type, poisoning of water supplies or truck/ aircraft borne WMD. A true terrorist operation, not just some lone loony who "identifies" with Osama, executing an "Invasion USA" scenario is very unlikely.

I carry everywhere because I can and to fend off the homegrown evil which I am more likely to encounter.

However, if 20 AK wielding Hadjis happened to storm Lowe's while I was there... well, there are worse ways to go out.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

You get a couple more terror attacks on U.S. soil, and I predict the ccw numbers will go up more which means more coverage.

Israeli's have a majority of armed citizens, and ordinary citizens have on occasion stopped suicide bombers by shooting them before they could detonate.

So I wouldn't be quick to say that a ccw holder here in the states could not thwart a terror attack.

For now, ccw holders are a minority, but things get out of hand, and that may change.

I think the government is deathly affraid of that. If they can't secure the country and protect us, they are worried about citizens will start doing it themselves.

However, they still turn a blind eye on the borders so they aren't too serious about it yet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    With everything going on in Nashville recently...the "local" threat has caused me to think about it more than the global problems.
    Gang shootings, kidnapping/car-jackings, smash and grabs, the usual stuff.
    I try to make sure if the baddies come my way, it's a
    "Fatal breakdown of the victim selection process"
    I do keep my eyes and ears open however to a wider based threat.
    Same here. IIRC we live not far from each other as well so I'd say you and I are seeing the same threats day in and day out. I don't step out my door without at least a .38 in my pocket and it's been that way since the day my permit came in the mail. Inside our apartment I keep my handguns and both shotguns loaded and within easy reach.
    Jack

hahaha no

On the list of reasons why I carry... terrorism is near the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    On the list of reasons why I carry... terrorism is near the bottom.
    One could easily categorize all violent crime as "terrorism" ... actions seeking to terrorize victims into submission, by horror, shock and/or fear. Surely, this applies as much to the local bully felon as much as to the flyin' madman in seat #7C from DFW to Miami. Viewed from this perspective, it is, without question, my one reason for carrying in defense of myself and my family.

Garden-variety "seat #7C" terrorism, however? On the list of possibilities, it ranks near the bottom, to be sure.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...the flyin' madman in seat #7C from DFW to Miami. Viewed from this perspective, it is, without question, my one reason for carrying in defense of myself and my family.

Garden-variety "seat #7C" terrorism, however?

As long as "Passenger 57" in on the flight, I'm not worried!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Since I carry all the time except when I am asleep, in the shower or at work (GGrrr! I HATE not being able to carry at work!) I doubt I could increase my carry time too much.

So, no, the threat of a terrorist attack will not make me carry more but it might make me a little more cautious in crowded areas and such.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I can't increase my "carry time" and the first thing I see when going in to work is the "Threat Level" that the country is at that day.

I carry 24/7 unless I'm asleep or "behind the walls" of a Federal Institution.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Not in the least.

I doubt there are any targets in Montana that would attract the attention of Al-Qaida, Hezbollah, Hamas, or the like.
    I'm sure you carry everywhere you are legally able and I agree an attack by a garden-variety scum-bag is infinitely more likely.
    But.
    Who would have thought of a terr attack in the OKC football stadium? SLC mall? Rural New Jersey? Rural Oregon? Boise (considerable recon of the largest mall and landmarks during U of I Islamic trial)?
    They may not be official AQ or Hamas, but their goals are the same.
    Numerous small town attacks would have a dramatic impact. Remember the Malvo shootings in Va and DC (Also Islamic fueled)? People were freaking out!
    It's coming.

no

I carry where legal all the time. As far as terrorists are concerned I think I'm far more likely to encounter the domestic terrorists than a Jihad Johnny.

Like many have already stated, it's the domestic terrorists that I'm more concerned about. Missouri seems to be the meth capitol of the world, and it's getting worse all the time. (Ask the local Wally World why they never have kitchen matches on the counter.)

Living in a very small town, I rather doubt that anybody wearing a towel on their head would ever show up around here. (Always said that my town is where to be in case of a nuclear attack. Nobody would drop a billion dollar bomb on a two bit town.)

Besides that, I already carry as much as I possibly can anyway. My only change is that I carry two extra magazines for my .380 now.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Since I carry all the time anyway, (except when I have to put it in the ziplock while in the shower), terrorist threats won't change how much I carry They can take their terrorism threats and ...well you know.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links