Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

This is a discussion on Will terrorist threats make you carry more...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carry more reloads and a rifle in the trunk of my work car. Otherwise no change....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

Carry more reloads and a rifle in the trunk of my work car. Otherwise no change.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Living in a very small town, I rather doubt that anybody wearing a towel on their head would ever show up around here.
    "Towels" or woolens ... it's all the same. A violent murderer who has too much passion and too few qualms over how "others" fit into the picture. Home invasions and street attacks are, by far, the more-likely foolishness, at least around here. Happens with fair frequency even in the smaller towns around me. One of the various impacts of the meth / ID theft circle of violence, very often, at least so says the Sheriff's dept.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One could easily categorize all violent crime as "terrorism" ... actions seeking to terrorize victims into submission, by horror, shock and/or fear. Surely, this applies as much to the local bully felon as much as to the flyin' madman in seat #7C from DFW to Miami. Viewed from this perspective, it is, without question, my one reason for carrying in defense of myself and my family.

Garden-variety "seat #7C" terrorism, however? On the list of possibilities, it ranks near the bottom, to be sure.
    Yea, if you use the sensationalist media version of "terrorism" then anything that hurts anyones feelings could be considered "terrorism". IMO labeling everything "terrorism" clouds the issues at hand and distracts from real terrorism--its counter productive. Bandwagon lawyers jumped all over "terrorism" and started charging people with "terrorist threats" when they said something mean.

We all know what terrorism really is...don't equivocate.

I have carried everywhere I can legally do so for many years.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"
    Last edited by firefighter_56; July 13th, 2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: oops forgot something

I already carry pretty much every waking moment so I can't carry more. I take their threat as real but I think here in MN we are relatively safe from direct Al-Qaida attacks. That doesn't mean some home grown extremest won't try something. I try to be as wary of my surroundings as I possibly can be.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

no.

VIP Member
    Nope! Can't carry any more than all the time!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I carry whenever I am not at work, but have done so for several years, and with little thought of defending myself or others aginst a foreign-born terrorist.

I suspect that the next terrorist act or acts this country sees will be some sort of large explosion, an unexpected and faceless "death from above" scenario that will be almost impossible to forecast or deter, not scruffy guys shooting up schools or shopping malls or other low dead body yield operations.

I am more concerned about an aftermath consisting of mobile and confused, possibly hungry masses of fellow citizens looking for someone with a can of beans or a gallon or two of gasoline.......

Can't Really Carry Any More Than I Do...

I work in a school, a 'terrorist safety zone', so to speak. When I arrive home, the first thing I do is go to the safe and 'arm up'; I stay that way until I leave for school the next day.

The terrorist threat is a serious one...obviously a big WHEN, not IF...but the gang/drug related crime is also a rising concern in almost every region of our country.

We are living in dangerous times, many people just don't know it yet. Soon people will realize that..."It is always darkest, before it is totally black!" (a McCain quote about his campaign...but seems to fit here) Wake up America!

I was in MI for several weeks attending a family reunion and visiting a new grandchild. Sitting around a campfire in the early evening, I was reading, "Thank God I Had a Gun" (many of you have read Chris Bird's book)...several of my 'outlaws' noticed the title and began laughing. I let it go, and finished the book.

They just don't get it...they know a cop will always be there!

Instead of getting angry, or starting a dead-end debate, I just pictured each of them being converted via a crime...much like that Ohio legislator who recently changed his anti-gun stance after being robbed...we'll see...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd have to say that terrorism put me over the top. It wasn't as though there was any shortage of reasons, prior, but the uncontrolled, illogical savagery of terrorism finalized the process.

I absolutely know that being in a "more conventional" crime situation is a bazillion times more likely. Again, there was no shortage of reasons before all of this crap.

VIP Member
    no...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I can't carry anymore than I do now which is everyday.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I think the whole "terrorist" thing is a dog and pony show. Plus I carry everyday anyway so no it won't make me carry "more" or shoot more or watch the news more or be scared of "zee germans" any more. :)

The threat of terrorism doesn't make me carry more. I realize that a terror attack would likely happen too quick to do anything about it. But I try to watch what is going on around me. I used to be one of those people who would carry in extraordinary situations, not every day. However, the Virginia Tech massacre, along with all the local crime, is what inspired me to carry more.
    Sorry, not trying to hijack thread.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links