Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

This is a discussion on Will terrorist threats make you carry more...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will terrorist threats make you carry more or not really be a factor in your decision? Today i arrive at work and the first headline ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?

Will terrorist threats make you carry more or not really be a factor in your decision?

Today i arrive at work and the first headline i read is "Al-Qaida vows reprisal for Israeli attacks " they say such things as "It is a Jihad for God's sake and will last until (our) religion prevails," al-Zawahri said. "We will attack everywhere."

uuuummm, a threat...okay...but everywhere?...really?

"The shells and rockets ripping apart Muslim bodies in Gaza and Lebanon are not only Israeli (weapons), but are supplied by all the countries of the crusader coalition. Therefore, every participant in the crime will pay the price,"

Now theres a threat!

I guess what makes me think of this is I have yet to return to a "life of carry" (many know the story) and have begun to become more concerned.

So do terrorist threats influence your carry decisions?
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure if it makes me carry more but it does try to make me be aware of my surroundings more. I'm not sure I can spot a terrorest doing his thing. I'm syre they are sneaky enough where it would hard to spot.

You ask "Will terrorist threats make you carry more...?"

I vote yes!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Why I salivate at the thought of getting a bona fide terrorist in my sights, I think the first indication that there was one around, would be when he/she goes BOOM.

We would be EXTREMELY lucky to observe a terrorist prior to them "going to Allah", and even then we may just hasten their departure. I'm sure they would prematurely detonate if their mission were compromised.

I for one would hate to mistake a stray exposed wire on a mid-eastern person for a bomb, like the London Police did. Neither would I want to riddle someone with bullets without giving them the chance to comply, which I doubt a true terrorist would. Given the appropriate circumstances, yes I would act, but those circumstances would be rare.

I believe that the opportunity to engage a terrorist would be exponentially more rare than having to engage the garden variety BG.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Assistant Administrator
    I do feel the ''atmosphere'' makes for a heightened state of alertness and this might well be most marked in and around cities.

I carry 16/7 anyways so that would not be any different.

If things crank up on the home base as they well might - anytime - then in a sense we owe it to each other to be a strong force for protection.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Carry More? IMHO you either carry all the time to the max the law allows you or it becomes just a hobby not to be taken seriously. CCW is a constant discipline, a part of your life like breathing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Just for clarity of the thread.
    I wasn't necessarily talking about actual engagement of an 'actor'..more of how world events of this global magnitude effect a carry decision.
    (and IMHO Israel warring with anyone has some global implications to one degree or another. )
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Like the previous answers, my height of awareness is risen to new level. My alertness has always been good.

Nah, might make me shoot more(at the terrorist types.)
    Last edited by INTJ; July 27th, 2006 at 09:56 AM.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I carry anywhere and any time the law lets me. I train and shoot as often as possible and I want packing to be an established (good) habit. If you break your own rules, Murphy's law says you won't have it when you need it.
    The terrorist threat sure makes me villigant, but no more than I try to be anyway when I'm in public. I would love to get a terrorist in my sights, but for now that's for the young bucks. I can dream though!
    ...one jagged hole!

With everything going on in Nashville recently...the "local" threat has caused me to think about it more than the global problems.
    Gang shootings, kidnapping/car-jackings, smash and grabs, the usual stuff.
    I try to make sure if the baddies come my way, it's a
    "Fatal breakdown of the victim selection process"
    I do keep my eyes and ears open however to a wider based threat.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Doesn't make me carry any more or less. I would probably feel more inclined to push for my friends to do it if I lived in a more built-up area, but then again terrorism is random. The type of attacks in Tom Clancy's book "The Teeth of the Tiger" is the most-likely scenario the United States is facing, but alas - some of them were in small towns.

Just keep your vigilance up, gentlemen. Instead of just looking for a guy whose jeans pocket seem to hang a little low or the "local nutjob," look for other items in a public place: a backpack that sags but seems bulky at the bottom, wires, someone dressed a little too warm for the weather (thick jackets), bags in hand from stores that aren't at your location, etc. A terrorist isn't neccesarily going to look "Arab" either. Because of this, you have almost zero to any warning at all before an attack. Its our nightmare to react to a situation like this, but all we can do is prepare, practice, and then (hopefully never) prosecute.

Semper Vigilans, ladies and gents.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I am new here and as I just applied for my permit yesterday so I will have some time to think about all this stuff, but the way I look at it is the same as the seatbelt theory used in the carrying with a chambered round thread. You don't get in your car and think " you know I am more likely to get in an accident today so I should wear my seatbelt" No you put it on and you don't even think about it. This is the same way I plan to think when I get my permit and I am comfortable with my carry gun.

Just my .02

Ben

Thats A Big 10-4 Sixbravo

VIP Member
    With everything going on in Nashville recently...the "local" threat has caused me to think about it more than the global problems. Gang shootings, kidnapping/car-jackings, smash and grabs, the usual stuff. I try to make sure if the baddies come my way, it's a "Fatal breakdown of the victim selection process"
    I do keep my eyes and ears open however to a wider based threat.
    Ditto here. There's been a huge crime surge this past week here in Nashville - lots of shooting and stabbing murders. There was that shooting at Opry Mills mall, a "nice" mall in a "nice" part of town, that was gang related. I also noticed that after that, the gang graffiti (SUR-13, MS-13 and BP-14) on the overpasses across from it was finally painted over. Nobody seems to notice or care about gang activity until something happens at a "nice" place.

Just the other day, a couple guys jacked a van and kidnapped the two people inside, tying them up and tossing them in the back. They drove down Nolensville, robbed a bakery, were chased by car and foot and finally had a standoff, resulting in a surrender.

With the temperature up, tempers flaring and badguys on the prowl, it's the local terrorists I'm on alert for. I carry every day, though, and do my best to stay alert, so I can't say too much has changed.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links