Bad eyes

Bad eyes

This is a discussion on Bad eyes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A quick question... in weighing whether to stick with glasses or go with laser eye surgery (PRK, LASIK, or LASEK), has shooting/self-defense played any role ...

Thread: Bad eyes

Bad eyes

A quick question...
    in weighing whether to stick with glasses or go with laser eye surgery (PRK, LASIK, or LASEK), has shooting/self-defense played any role in your decision-making process?
    And for those who've had the laser procedure...has it been only positive for your marksmanship, training, acquiring the sights, etc... or has there been a drawback or disappointment along the way?
    BTW, I'm quickly heading into my late 40's...and have relatively poor eyesight
    (near-sighted astigmatism) and am trying to decide whether it's worth the money for the overall quality of life.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I had Lasik done about 4 years ago. I had horrible eyesight in both eyes. I'm now 20/20 in one eye, and better in the other. It's a life changer. If you can swing the cost, go for it. Shooting did not play a role in the decision, but the benefits are realized in just about all aspects of your life.

I have wondered about this also. Are one of your eyes geared for distance and the other for objects that are closer? That is what I've been told.
    Last edited by SAnta01; May 20th, 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling

I just got new glasses and had "plugs" put into my tear ducts for dry eye! Now I feel like I'm on the verge of crying all the time, like if I blink, the tears will flow. It has helped my eyes though, don't itch and burn like they did. Good luck with your choice, and wish you the best results possible.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Yea I had the "punctal plugs" also, but they typically dissolve from 3 days to a week or so. There are permanent plugs, but that didnt float my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Yea I had the "punctal plugs" also, but they typically dissolve from 3 days to a week or so. There are permanent plugs, but that didnt float my boat.
    They told me these would dissolve in about 5 days, and if they helped they would put the "Permanent" ones in on June 11th, they would last about 6 months. I think I'm going to give them a try. I wonder why they call them "permanent" when they only last for six months?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

They're permanent, till they dissolve LOL

I had lasik done about 5.5 years ago. Hands down the best money I've ever spent. I was also nearsighted with astigmatism in both eyes. I did not do the monovision (correct one eye for distance and one for close)... I've heard that's a little tricky to get used to.

It's really hard to describe going from pretty rough vision to a 15 minute procedure to taking a nap shortly after (thanks valium!) to waking up with 20/15 vision. I couldn't stop saying "Wow!" for like a week.

Thanks for the replies.
    Good to hear how well things turned out for those of you who had the surgery procedure.
    I'm just about ready to take the plunge.
    (BTW...my wife also had the 'plugs' put in her tear ducts for dry eyes. Necessary, but a pain too.)

In addition to being a Pastor, I have also been an Optician for 40 years. I am also certified to operate the laser used in Lasik surgery. Lasik may be an option to correct your distance vision, but since you are past 40, your near vision will be a problem requiring glasses for reading and even possibly for shooting handguns. It is not possible to correct both distance and near vision with Lasik or any other procedure past age 40 or so, unless you have them do one eye for near, and one for distance. This is called monovision and work for lots of people. Before committing to having it done with surgery, I'd recommend you try it with contact lenses first. One disappointment for some nearsighted people with Lasik is that the ability to see close without glasses goes away. Many people assume that because they've always been able to see close without glasses, that they will still be able to do it after surgery.

For shooting handguns, the most important thing is to be able to see the front sight. I usually do this with single vision lenses prescribed for that distance. The target will be a little blurred, but your sights will be in focus

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    A quick question...
    in weighing whether to stick with glasses or go with laser eye surgery (PRK, LASIK, or LASEK), has shooting/self-defense played any role in your decision-making process?
    ----------------------------
    YES
    BTW, I'm quickly heading into my late 40's...and have relatively poor eyesight
    (near-sighted astigmatism) and am trying to decide whether it's worth the money for the overall quality of life.
    I have been nearsighted and worn glasses since I was a teenager.
    I can still read and see closeup without glasses

When LASIK first became affordable I was OLDER than you are now.
    My Dr. said it would correct my DISTANCE vision but after a few more years of
    Aging I MIGHT need Glases again for READING .

Not worth the tradeoff for me......
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Well now there's more food for thought.
    Thanks for your perspectives. A lot to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I just got new glasses and had "plugs" put into my tear ducts for dry eye! Now I feel like I'm on the verge of crying all the time, like if I blink, the tears will flow. It has helped my eyes though, don't itch and burn like they did. Good luck with your choice, and wish you the best results possible.
    Sure blame it on the plugs,but in all reality it probably only happens when you walk out of the gun store too poor to give any wayward firearms a good home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links