NYS permits

This is a discussion on NYS permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks guys, I was pretty sure it was hopeless, but thought I would ask. I don't like to be defenseless when deep in the woods ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYS permits

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure it was hopeless, but thought I would ask. I don't like to be defenseless when deep in the woods backpacking and camping.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    I've not heard of non residents getting permits but you might consider a carbine. I have a .30 carbine with the folding stock and it's pretty darn small. Wouldn't be hard to sling over your shoulder.

Jim
    Is it legal to walk a round the woods with a long gun even if it's not hunting season in NY? What type of carbine do you have?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Thanks guys, I was pretty sure it was hopeless, but thought I would ask. I don't like to be defenseless when deep in the woods backpacking and camping.

Is it legal to walk a round the woods with a long gun even if it's not hunting season in NY? What type of carbine do you have?
    That I don't know.

Lookee: you're talking about serious legal jeopardy in all these questions and they are appropriate questions for you. But aside from consulting us, who are just folks, why not call up the State Police Firearms Unit in Albany and get it from the "Man". Second resource would be County Permit office of whatever County you will be in. You don't want to wander into a felony for anything because of well-meant but incorrect facts.

"Never go by your Aunt's Advice about Defense for Capital Murder"

VIP Member
    Hamlet. Thanks.

Guess it depends if you're walking on private land and have permission. State land and not hunting season you'd have to check with the DEC. We can't carry anything in town parks and state parks at the moment.
    My carbine is a .30 from WWII. They were made by various companies. Mine says "Buffalo Arms" on the barrel and is stamped 1943. It fits in a decent back pack. Where my mom hikes, they now have wild boar. I'm trying to get her to learn to shoot and carry it on the state land/ski resort where she goes. I don't know that the DEC or cops would really give you trouble if you were carrying for protection and weren't being reckless with it, carrying it on the side of the road loaded or loaded in your car. .30 carbine has a nice little punch to it and puts dents in my spinner target. Very accurate as well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    That I don't know.

Lookee: you're talking about serious legal jeopardy in all these questions and they are appropriate questions for you. But aside from consulting us, who are just folks, why not call up the State Police Firearms Unit in Albany and get it from the "Man". Second resource would be County Permit office of whatever County you will be in. You don't want to wander into a felony for anything because of well-meant but incorrect facts.

"Never go by your Aunt's Advice about Defense for Capital Murder"

I would not take any action based on the advice received here without checking for myself I was just curious what people had to say about the matter but thank you Hamlet. I used to live in NY and I know better than to take my chances The things I can do legally in VT would land me in jail for years in NY.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links