NYS permits

This is a discussion on NYS permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to live in NY but have not in a long time. I go over to the Adirondacks once n a while to camp, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYS permits

NYS permits

I used to live in NY but have not in a long time. I go over to the Adirondacks once n a while to camp, hike, fish the Ausable, etc..

I know I stand no chance of getting an unrestricted permit but does anyone know if NY will issue a non resident permit to carry a pistol in the woods. I guess it would be considered a restricted hunting and target permit? I have read NY does not issue non-resident permits and I have read of people have gotten non resident permits so I don't know what to believe.

Like I said I know I would not get a full carry permit so I would not even try but I would like to be able to carry while camping and hiking in the Adirondacks? Do I stand a chance? Any suggestions on who to contact about this, I know it's different for every county.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I know people have non-residents for employment purposes but I've never heard of someone getting a non-resident for recreation purposes.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

What about people who come from out of state to hunt, are they restricted to long guns only?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    What about people who come from out of state to hunt, are they restricted to long guns only?
    As far as I know. The only exception I know of for a handgun is if you are going to an NRA sanctioned event you can bring your pistol in a lock box for use at the event, but there is no carry outside the event.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

now I remember one of the many reasons I moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    now I remember one of the many reasons I moved.
    Me, too.
    I moved in '72 to get away from the weather (read: snow) and high taxes.

I've not heard of non residents getting permits but you might consider a carbine. I have a .30 carbine with the folding stock and it's pretty darn small. Wouldn't be hard to sling over your shoulder.

Jim

I have an unrestricted permit. Not that hard - though depending on the County you may need a restricted carry for the first year, mine was Business Carry. Then you get it Unrestricted and, in most places in NY, for life. (restrictions are County ordinances, not State Gun Law, some counties have them, some don't, most who do are malleable, few aren't. All State permits are Carry without State restrictions).

Anyway, to the OPs question: you can't get a resident permit without being a resident. And I'm almost sure just staying a bit will not allow a handgun to be in your possession.

VIP Member
    I wondered about hunting with a hand gun in NYS myself as I am next door in CT.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I wondered about hunting with a hand gun in NYS myself as I am next door in CT.
    I don't think so, NY does not recognize other state permits. Do not bring a handgun into the state unless driving through or you are a NY resident with a NY Permit returning home.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    From what I understand, you can get pretty much any kind of permit in NY if you contribute to Mayor Bloombergs reelection campaign.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The NY assembly is considering a bill that would clarify NY law to say that non-residents can get a permit here. Right now the decision is made by whoever administers the permits in each county, or in the case of NY city, the police department. Which means they all make up their own rules, and I would bet my paycheck that most counties in NY will not issue to a non-resident. You would have to want to hunt with a handgun in NY very badly to go through the effort. Our permit process is nuts - in some counties it can take over a year.

I love NY ? Not so much.

Bills

I am so glad I moved out of New York. BUT, I have to go back every summer for 3 or 4 months (wife's option). I'd love to have a target permit but as an out of stater it looks virtually impossible. Still, NY grants me the right to practice Medicine, Surgery and Psychology - just not to carry a concealed weapon. That state is really nuts!!

If anyone who lives out of state has actually gotten a carry permit for NY I'd love to know about it...

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    I am so glad I moved out of New York. BUT, I have to go back every summer for 3 or 4 months (wife's option). I'd love to have a target permit but as an out of stater it looks virtually impossible. Still, NY grants me the right to practice Medicine, Surgery and Psychology - just not to carry a concealed weapon. That state is really nuts!!

If anyone who lives out of state has actually gotten a carry permit for NY I'd love to know about it...
    You have to be a resident to get a permit. The reason being, I believe, NY wants those who legally possess a handgun in the state to have met the criteria it's representatives have passed into law for its own residents - permit criteria varying widely state to state. Whether one agrees or disagrees this I think is the reasoning behind the law.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    From what I understand, you can get pretty much any kind of permit in NY if you contribute to Mayor Bloombergs reelection campaign.
    I'd believe that! But don't you mean Furor Bloomberg?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links