Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" - Page 4

Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

This is a discussion on Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several replies mimic my immediate reply. I am CC and no one, except those who know me, are privy to my CC or when I ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Several replies mimic my immediate reply. I am CC and no one, except those who know me, are privy to my CC or when I even carry. No one else should even be asking the question and if they are, I had better recheck my CC methodology. I have no reason to give an answer to anyone, especially someone who I do not even know.

I carry because it is relatively cheap life insurance. More fun than regular insurance too!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    This (commonly asked question) comes from a worldview problem. Pro-gun folks have a different worldview than the vast majority of others. We understand that evil people exist (not to mention dangerous animals and what-not) and that while the chances are small, any one of us can fall victim to a criminal attack. Some of us live and work in more dangerous areas and are ALWAYS alert. We also know that the police cannot be everywhere and when called, are normally not going to arrive in time to prevent anything.

Most other people tend to think about this, if at all, in terms of (a) small chance of it happening to me and (b) I can always call 9-1-1 (dial-a-prayer).
    Every day, we get converts from this group after they discover that neither (a) nor (b) works.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Very few know I carry and no one has asked. The few people other than family who do know carry themselves and/or are pro gun, so they never question. Family has never asked if I was carrying, except for my wife on a couple of occasions early on as we were leaving the house. She has her own CHL and a PX4 Storm in .40, but doesn't carry. I carry concealed, so it isn't a question strangers ask.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I thought all cowboys carried guns :) Its part of my costume

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My extreme-liberal sister asked me if I carried. I sighed and told the truth. When she asked why, I said it was in case I needed to shoot someone.
    I would love to hear the rest of that discussion...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Well mostly in Oklahoma you must conceal (no open carry), so no one has ever asked. However one day while acting as clerk in our C-store I decided to open carry for a while (perfectly legal in your home or store) and I got one reaction, from a guy (who happened to be African-American) who said "Hey, that's messed up!", but he added, "but maybe you might need it". Pretty good overall reaction, I think.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    While I'll do my darndest not to out myself or be outed, I'll work up a few short answers such as: Because the likelihood of being a victim of a violent crime in Minnesota is at LEAST 2x higher than having a heart attack, & 14x higher for those under 60. Because the average police response time is FAR greater than most violent crimes take to be perpetrated. Because I take the responsibility for the defensive safety of myself & my family seriously. Because this country's founders considered the right to be so important, that it was #2 on the Bill of Rights.

If all else fails, I'll give them the ol' "It's easier than carrying a police officer" line.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I only read the first page but I get tired of hearing people say: "concealed is concealed" and "it won't happen to me" ---Prideful much?!?!

The question here is not if it will. Its when it will. The question is asking you to think of the unlikely. Kinda like the reasoning behind carrying a gun in the first place. (funny how this is a circular example!)

NO ONE sees my gun. It is concealed. that's that. BUT! If something were to happen my answer is "same reason I wear a seat belt; hope to God it never happens but if it does this tool could save my life"

I tell them the same reason when they bought their last car they didn't go home and remove the spare tire from it and put it in the corner of the garage. It is very unlikely that I will ever need my gun or they will ever need their spare tire, but we keep them for the "just in case we do need it" moments.

If they persist, I tell them to pop their trunk and let me have their spare tire. No I don't have a pile of other peoples spare tires laying around my house.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I explain that I worked police communications for fifteen years and that having that experience I know how small a percentage of the crimes that occur actually make the news. I also know how long it really takes for help to get somewhere when 9-1-1 is called. I have literally listened to people's last words and last breaths while they were on the phone with me waiting for help to arrive. In the highly unlikely event that something immediately life threatening should happen right here, right now, I have more important things to be doing for the rest of my life than talking on the telephone.
    joker1 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If I knew where and when violence towards my family or myself was going to occur, we wouldn't go there. Since I can't predict the future I'll prepare for the worst.

or

The ol' cop won't fit in my pocket reason, especially helpful when my LEO BIL is around creating shade and blocking the wind for everyone.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter48 View Post
    I carry because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away. Then I asked them if they have ever seen the cops get to a crime scene when it is happening. The cops always get there in time to clean up the bodies. And that is not a rant against the cops, I support them 100% but it's just a fact of life and death. I may go down but I won't go down without a fight and I'll do my best to take a few with me.
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to say!

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Those few who know I carry already understand.

Nobody knows, so the question doesn't come up.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Earlier post about the teacher being outed at Home Depot got me to thinking about a post I saw here quite awhile back but now can't seem to find it.

When someone asks, "Why do you carry/need a gun?" how do you reply? It's usually a legit question, and while cute, quippy or smart-arse remarks ("In case I have to shoot someone") might occasionally be appropriate, usually the questioner is seeking genuine information.

My answer would be something like, "The same reason I wear a seat belt/have a smoke alarm," or "I don't need it. Unless or until I do." Or, "I can't run as fast as I used to."

Other thoughts?

(By the way, I've only been asked this once, by a relative. If a stranger should ask, I should re-evaluate how carefully I conceal.)
    Just posted this on the other thread. Not my words but pretty much covers it.

For little Lizzy.
    Why Do You Carry a Gun

If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that question, I'd have, uh ... as many guns as his firearm-festooned Editorial Immenseness, Roy-Boy. It's been asked of me by all flavors of folks in all slices of society, with attitudes and expressions ranging from angry-arrogant to curtly-contemptuous, to brainless an' befuddled. My answers to it have sorta formed three phases in my professional gun-carrying life. During that first and longest phase, I answered all of 'era sincerely and articulately, often following up with stacks of historic and legal documents. After many years, I concluded only a semi-significant sliver of people even heard what I was sayin'. The rest had already made up their muddled minds.

Finally, I just got sick of it, and moved on to Phase 2. If those asking seemed to have teensy open spaces in their minds, I gave 'em S & A: "Sincere & Articulate." The more harshly-bleating sheep, however, often got exchanges like this:

"So," queried Snidely Snotworth III, lookin' down his unbusted but needed-bustin' nose, "Why do you think you have to carry a gun?"

"Well," bellowed the Brutish Neanderthal (that would be me): "Because you're not QUALIFIED to carry one. You haven't got the skills, the judgment, the sense of responsibility, or the courage for it."

This answer often popped out after I'd just returned from some Heart-Of-Darkness where every living soul knew that the difference between slaves and free people is having the means and determination to defend their lives, property and liberties. That meant having guns and guts and God-given rights. Most of those people would quite literally die fighting for the freedoms so many Americans casually give away, and proudly bear social responsibilities those sheeple * won't even recognize.

* Sheeple: Sheep-like people, many of whom deny the existence of wolves, and vote to pull the teeth of the sheepdogs who protect the flock.

The Voices

Then I matriculated to Phase 3, where I started having some fun with the Snidely Snotworth types. When they asked the Big Question, I'd go all hunchy-shouldered an' secretive, then lean in close and mutter, "Because of the voices, ya know?" "The VOICES?" sniveled the Snidelies, suddenly scaredy-cattish. "Oh, yeah, the voices ... They told me to be, you know, prepared for when the killer clowns come ... " I'd furtively goggle around. "The voices say the killer clowns are comin' ... They're cannibals, some of 'era, and ..."

About that time the Snidelies would be skitterin' away like mice on polished marble.

Yeah, I know, the "killer clowns" answer might not have been "helpful," but it did just as much good as giving S&A answers to the sheeple, and it was a lot more fun for me. I know you already know why we carry these cannons. But sometimes, just sometimes, we all need a little reminder. That includes me, and I've got one to share with you. One that got me where I live.

The Connor Clan has been nomadic, and we've lived in a number of places. In one of 'era, we shared a side yard and friendship with a young woman we'll call Miss Maine, and her knee-high daughter, Little Lizzie. Miss Maine quickly bonded with the Memsaab Helena. Clearly, Helena's Amazon-warrior spirit and skill with arms impressed Miss Maine mightily, and much of their time and talk revolved around that fierce self-confidence--and guns.

As for Little Lizzie, the munchkin almost duct-taped herself to the Mem's leg. She followed Helena everywhere, but always, always, kept glancing back to check on her momma, as though she were the worried parent.

There was something guarded, something hurt and defensive about both of them, and that fearfulness extended to me for a while. They got over it, thank God. Then I sorta became a moving bunker for 'em, representing cover and protection. Finally, we learned the story.

Miss Maine had been attacked--brutally and viciously. You don't wanta know the details. As with so many such crimes, it wasn't really about sex. It was about hate and domination, cowardice and cruelty. And an even younger Little Lizzie had witnessed it. I like to think the Memsaab and I helped them to recover emotionally.

Then one day Lizzie came and snuggled into my shadow, visibly disturbed. That morning her kindergarten had put on "Frighten The Munchkins Day." Some schools do a pretty good job of alerting children to predators--don't go with strangers and that kinda thing--but others do more harm than good. All they do is terrify the tots and give 'era no operating options. Lizzie already had twin tears glistening, ready to fall when she grabbed a tiny fistful of my trouser-leg and asked, "Connor-Sir, will you a'ways be here? Wouldja be here ... When the bad mens come?"

My knees cracked on the sidewalk as she slammed into my shoulder, shaking with sobs as the hot tears came, splashing my neck and searing into my soul. "'Cause I'm a-scared!" she choked, and clutched me tighter. Oh, GOD/Who would not--who could not--fight without fear, suffer without sense of sacrifice, and kill or die deliberately, using the most effective means available--to protect life, liberty and a Little Lizzie? For God's sake, who?

Those who would not are no better than the predators.

Maybe in Phase 4, when somebody pops The Big Question I'll just smile and say, "For life, liberty and Little Lizzie." You guys can fill in the details.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links