Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" - Page 5

Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

This is a discussion on Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being female, this conversation tends to go pretty smoothly. When asked, I tell people that the average police response time for my city is 8 ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 96
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

  1. #61
    Member Array enk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    200
    Being female, this conversation tends to go pretty smoothly. When asked, I tell people that the average police response time for my city is 8 minutes. Although it seems short, when your life is in jeopardy, 8 minutes can seem like a lifetime. A lot can happen in that time. Therefore, I see a need to take personal responsibility for my safety. If I am thrust into a dangerous situation, depending on others can leave me dead and therefore I can only trust myself for protection. I like to go home to my family at the end of the day and only I can insure that that will happen.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19


  2. #62
    New Member Array klopiyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    This (commonly asked question) comes from a worldview problem. Pro-gun folks have a different worldview than the vast majority of others. We understand that evil people exist (not to mention dangerous animals and what-not) and that while the chances are small, any one of us can fall victim to a criminal attack. Some of us live and work in more dangerous areas and are ALWAYS alert. We also know that the police cannot be everywhere and when called, are normally not going to arrive in time to prevent anything.

    Most other people tend to think about this, if at all, in terms of (a) small chance of it happening to me and (b) I can always call 9-1-1 (dial-a-prayer).
    Every day, we get converts from this group after they discover that neither (a) nor (b) works.

    I think that before I carried I did indeed have a different worldview, but not like this. I knew there were bad people and bad possibilities. I
    just didn't care much. The odds of being a victim are pretty small, and anyway, no one lives forever. I thought that people who carried were overly afraid of everything, didn't accept mortality, and didn't understand that one never has complete control over life. After all, why not wear a helmet to protect against falling debris? Or simply, why not lower much more common risks by healthier living? Carriers seemed to me to be particularly incensed at the idea that some bad person would have power over them (and to me this seemed to ignore the fact that there are akways people with power over us). Actually, I still believe in a lot of that. My worldview didn't so much change as get added to. And what got added was my sense of the proper implications of my care for my loved ones. Yes, everyone dies, and no, no one has much control (no matter what they think). But if I can protect my loved ones, I should, in lots of ways. At least that's what carrying means to me now. I am still thinking on it.

  3. #63
    Member Array Mjodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    80
    "Why do YOU believe you'll never need one?"
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

  4. #64
    New Member Array klopiyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjodr View Post
    "Why do YOU believe you'll never need one?"
    You mean never need a gun for my own safety? Well, I'm not sure I'd shoot someone to save my own life. And then, again, it's that the odds are so much higher that something else will get me. Let's face it, being twenty pounds overweight is, for me, a ticking timebomb. I need to focus on the real, common, honest threats, not train endlessly and maintain hypervigilance everywhere I go just on the offhand chance that I run into a true maniac. True maniacs are one in fifty thousand, but we're as afraid of them as we should be of heart disease, which significantly shortens the lives of several out of every ten. For my own sake, I want to be afraid of and prepared for the right dangers. For my family's sake, I do go further. Maybe it is inconsistent of me. Like I said, I'm still thinking about it.

  5. #65
    Member Array Mjodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by klopiyu View Post
    You mean never need a gun for my own safety? Well, I'm not sure I'd shoot someone to save my own life. And then, again, it's that the odds are so much higher that something else will get me. Let's face it, being twenty pounds overweight is, for me, a ticking timebomb. I need to focus on the real, common, honest threats, not train endlessly and maintain hypervigilance everywhere I go just on the offhand chance that I run into a true maniac. True maniacs are one in fifty thousand, but we're as afraid of them as we should be of heart disease, which significantly shortens the lives of several out of every ten. For my own sake, I want to be afraid of and prepared for the right dangers. For my family's sake, I do go further. Maybe it is inconsistent of me. Like I said, I'm still thinking about it.
    Only 20 lbs? Lightweight... :)

    I was born in Flint, Michigan.. and have lived in Pontiac and Detroit in Michigan and New Orleans, Louisiana. I've always been fairly comfortable in "the ghetto". For good reason, I never had anyone mess with me in those locations. I actually never imagined needing a firearm to protect myself.

    Things are different now. It honestly seems as though everyone is out to get you, harm you, these days. My stresser was when a group of deadly home invaders burglarized my old apartment in Winter Haven.. and the recent attempted burglaries here at my current home. The current serial home invader terrorizing Lakeland just confirms that I need it.

    I even just talked my parents into arming.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

  6. #66
    New Member Array klopiyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    9
    Possible that 20 lbs. is optimistic...

    I feel sure that if i had had the relatively close up experiences with crime that you mention, I'd have a different outlook on this. In general not everyone is out to get you. But there are local and temporary exceptions!
    Mjodr likes this.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Array Luis50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In 21 years of carrying a sidearm, I honestly have never been asked that question.

    I'm the type of guy who tells you how to build a clock when asked what time it is, so maybe people who know me just avoid that topic altogether.
    Luis

    "Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

    Mike Tyson

  8. #68
    Member Array Mjodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by klopiyu View Post
    Possible that 20 lbs. is optimistic...

    I feel sure that if i had had the relatively close up experiences with crime that you mention, I'd have a different outlook on this. In general not everyone is out to get you. But there are local and temporary exceptions!
    Well, I am moving to Montana.. I highly doubt I will continue to have the same experiences. AT that point it'll be more of a "Because I can and it is my right" type scenario. 14 years here is enough for me.

    I am very happy my parents are getting guns, because I think they are in Florida to stay. That'll make me sleep easier at night.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

  9. #69
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    This is exactly what I wrote on the matter in this post a few weeks ago....


    An old school friend commented on one of my pictures of me doing a Yoga pose with my Glock 19 strapped to my hip. After confirming that it was, indeed, a gun, she asked, "Why?"

    This is not a stupid or ignorant question. Often, when I see people ask this question I watch the responses from my fellow gun toters and I have to cringe at how defensive, sarcastic and sometimes flat out mean they can be.

    "Why" is not only NOT a stupid question it is a fantastic question. It is the mother load of all questions and one of the founding questions for knowledge, betterment and furthering in understanding.

    Some "why" questions can be answered by science or reason or math or faith. But the answer to "Why carry a gun?" is as unique as the person being asked. One thing all questions of "why" have in common that they are all worthy of serious consideration and an honest appraisal by the person doing the answering. After all, in our cases, we might have to answer that question in court some day so we might as well have our serious (and non-flippant) answer ready to be given.

    The reasons people carry guns are vast. Sometimes it springs from past evils and people carry to protect against a future revisitation of evil. At times the news of evil visited on others is enough to make people aware of the potential for harm and so they arm themselves. Other times there is a clear threat that frightens someone into being armed. For others still it's nothing more than an exercise in their constitutional rights.

    Upon seeing this simple word, "Why" and question mark I decided to reexamine my own personal reasons for being armed and to give my own personal answer to the question posed to me.

    Truth be told, I've answered this question a million times in a million different ways but when all the chaff and dust is blown away it all comes down to one word with enormous weight: responsibility.

    I, and I alone, am responsible for my life.

    I was taught to take responsibility for my actions (good or bad), my things, my money, my body, my diet, my health. I sometimes think we forget to teach our children to take responsibility for their own safety (when they can physically, morally, mentally, emotionally and legally do so). I certainly wasn't taught that. It was something I had to learn on my own.

    When I was young my parents used to tell me, "Stay in public. Public places are safe." The idea was that other people would intervene and that bad people are less inclined to act in public. Like all very dangerous concepts, this one has smatterings of truth in that people COULD intervene (if they choose to do so) and attackers COULD be less likely to attack in public though we are all seeing how brazen attackers are being these days.

    The fact of the matter is that I could be beaten to death in the middle of the street with dozens of witnesses watching and they can all go home at the end of the day and justify the reasons they didn't get involved and probably live a long life with nothing more to say about the incident than, "Wow, it was awful. I saw the whole thing. Someone should have saved that poor girl but I couldn't because..." insert excuse here. And I wouldn't blame them. Seriously, I wouldn't. Because it's not their responsibility to save me. I am capable, healthy, sane, whole and there is no reason why anyone would have to take responsibility for me when I am capable of doing it myself. If they choose to get involved it's out of the kindness of their heart.

    My life is not even the responsibility of police officers. A police officer has every right to look at a situation, evaluate that it is too much for him to handle alone and wait in the wings for backup to arrive while he watches a brutal crime being committed. He has no legal responsibility for me.

    There are people for whom others willingly take responsibility, of course. Young children, whom are under the responsibility of their parents for protection and guidance until they can do it themselves; the elderly, who may be incapable or the mentally defective or disabled; we choose to share the responsibility for their lives and it is a noble thing for us to do. Being a mother I know personally what a wonderful responsibility children are. I welcome it as I welcome the responsibility of my marriage and keeping myself and my heart for my husband and even in sharing in the responsibility of his life as he does for me. These are not burdens as much as they are joys but they are GREAT responsibilities.

    Sadly, some governments try to take the responsibility of safety away from their citizenry when they simply cannot fulfill the burden of that responsibility by the fact that there will never be a suitable ratio to protect everyone or the ability to fulfill every need.

    Sadder still is that some people shirk their responsibilities by choice. People choose not to care for their elderly family. They abandon the ill or even their own children. They walk away from their marriages. They blame others for their actions. They blame McDonalds for getting fat. They blame the government for their poor spending habits. They blame the police for failing to protect them when things go south. They blame everyone but themselves because they believe it will some how assuage them of the penalties of those responsibilities. I mean, who wants to pay their credit card bills when you can blame the credit card companies and try to make a settlement? Who wants to pay the speeding ticket when you can blame the poorly placed sign?

    But in the world of carrying a gun, the responsibilities reach into life and death, literally. Who really WANTS to weigh the weight of a human life? Who really WANTS to take that life? Who really WANTS to sit there at night and wonder if there could have been any way, ANY WAY, to have not have had to do what was done? Who WANTS to think about the family of a life they took in favor of their own? Who wants that?

    I don't. I really and truly don't. And so I truly understand the compulsion of others to throw off that responsibility on others. The gravity of responsibility of armed safety is one that I considered deeply and that I have felt with an almost physical weight. It is heavy because IT IS the responsibility of life itself and I would be lying if I said there weren't times I wanted to force that responsibility on others as well. Anyone who has TRULY considered what they are taking on by being an armed citizen should be humbled by such a responsibility.

    But I can't ask someone else to take responsibility for what, by nature, is mine and mine alone. I certainly can't.. won't ask someone else to make those kind of decisions for me. To ask someone else to bear the burdens of deciding life and death in my stead when it is my life on the line would be irresponsible of me. This is my life. I am responsible for it and that includes making those tough decisions for myself, my safety and what I need to do to protect myself and my life. It also means accepting the penalties of those decisions whether they be legal or emotional. And, for me, it means arming myself so that I have a better chance of continuing to fulfill my other responsibilities as a wife and mother and daughter and sister and friend.

    And with that comes a further responsibility to be trained in the use of my firearm so that I can be safe and competent should I need it (God forbid).

    Yes, there are those who have chosen to take on the responsibility of other people's safety when they can and I thank God for them. Law enforcement, military.. their sacrifice and dedication to people who are unwilling or unable to take on the responsibility of their own lives and safety is commendable. I honor them. But they can't be everywhere and, no matter how devoted, none of them will ever care as much about me and my life and my safety as I can and do.

    Other brave souls can't always be here, I can. They can't make some of the decisions that I must, so I will. They can't protect me, so I am protecting myself.
    Holy smokes Limatunes this is awesome. May I quote it, link to it, use it when anyone especially a lady asks this question? I will of course give all due credit. If it is not up on your website it should be. Excellent well said
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  10. #70
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Holy smokes Limatunes this is awesome. May I quote it, link to it, use it when anyone especially a lady asks this question? I will of course give all due credit. If it is not up on your website it should be. Excellent well said
    Yes, you may. It's on my FB page. That's where I originally posted it.

  11. #71
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yes, you may. It's on my FB page. That's where I originally posted it.
    Thanks opps can't find it on your website /facebook link please
    Last edited by LongRider; May 30th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  12. #72
    Member Array Andriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    75
    My mother-in-law asked this question a few months ago, and my reply was "I carry because it makes me feel confident and more aware of my surroundings." I also explained to her that I have little chance of running away from/beating some BG who is double my size, and I want to be able to protect myself if needed. My firearm is one of the tools I have to defend myself, and I carry my pepper spray in a just as convenient position to use if needed. Many times I will tell the story of the rape that occurred 1 block from my apartment and my husband was working when I would come home in the evenings, the elderly man who was mugged in my neighborhood just 2 years ago, or the shots we heard in the neighborhood just a couple months ago.

    My colleagues know that I carry when not at the office, and a few are intimidated, but they know my reasons and that it is a topic I will not discuss in the office.

    So my m-i-l accepts that we both carry, but just this past week she did suggest that I only carry in the winter so I can wear cute clothes in the summer! I calmly said to her that the threat doesn't go away when the seasons change, and we continued our shopping trip where she found some cute clothes that I can wear when concealing.

  13. #73
    Member Array Macantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warrenville,SC
    Posts
    217
    I'm never asked because nobody knows but my wife.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

  14. #74
    Member Array edlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    65
    I don't owe anyone an explanation about my personal life, period. I guess I'm getting old but some things just aren't up for discussion and being armed is one of them. If you don't have enough sense to know why someone would carry a gun then nothing I say will make any sense anyway.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wendell, N.C.
    Posts
    660
    I carried everyday for 27 years as a cop because I saw what was out there. I still carry everyday because they, or their kids, are still out there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

concealed carry

,

good answers for why u need ccdw

,
how to answer the question from an inti gun person of why not let people have bombs then?
,

how to answer when asked why should i say anything

,
how to answers why ccw
,

mjodr

,

sarcastic things to say when someone ask if you have a chl to carry that gun

,
what do you say when asked why you carry a gun
,
what to say if someone asks why you are a liberal
,
when family asks why you carry
,
why do men get defensive when asked about someone else
,
why do you carry a gun answer
Click on a term to search for related topics.