Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" - Page 6

Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

This is a discussion on Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After working in law enforcement for 19 years, my typical response to this question is "Because the evil people in the world far outnumber the ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

After working in law enforcement for 19 years, my typical response to this question is "Because the evil people in the world far outnumber the good."
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

My answer would be "The same reason I carry my knife everywhere, Just because I dont need it now dosnt mean I wont need it later"

Heck thats basically the same answer when people ask me about the 110 I carry on my belt at all times.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Uh, guys. You are all answering the question in the wrong frame. Although, I will admit, that I didn't read through all the responses, everyone of them were on the defensive. You will never win that argument. You need to reframe the answer like:

Q: Why do you carry a gun???

A: Why DON'T you carry a gun? Don't you care about the safety of your family/kids? Don't you take personal responsibility for your own safety? Don't you know that bad things can happen at any time? Don't you want to be prepared for an unpleasant situation. Don't you know that by the time the police get there, you/your kids may already be dead? Etc, etc, etc.

Make them defend themselves instead of you defending your actions. You know you are right and their thinking/attitude needs to change.
    babarock likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    It's my little secret, my own family doesn't know. If they did happen to ask I would just tell them "I cant" (Carry Always Never Tell)
    CANT - I like that. A very good carry philosophy. I can legally open carry, but don't. I don't want to announce the fact that I carry or even own firearms. I knew a kid in high school that got picked on all the time. I found out many years later that he had a black belt in multiple martial arts during that time. I asked him WHY he didn't kick a$$. He said the situations weren't bad enough to out his skills. I thought that was alot for a kid in high school to maintain. I always remember that

Vrez
    Last edited by vrez; May 30th, 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness View Post
    After working in law enforcement for 19 years, my typical response to this question is "Because the evil people in the world far outnumber the good."
    I know many LE that have that same perception. I carry for all the reasons I gave, so I do understand and have seen the evil. But I truly hope that world view is an inaccurate result of the fact that your focus day in and day out is the evil that men of all classes do to each other. That a broader world view, reveals that most people are decent, and good as is the rest of Creation.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My answer is usually that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

A lot of good answers here, and some I had never thought of before. My favorites so far are the comparisons with other safety devices such as seat belts and fire extinguishers. I actually do keep two fire extinguishers in the house since I use a lot of tools that could start a fire such as a soldering iron and a welder. Fortunately, I've never needed to use the devices, but I'm glad they are there. I also like TwoSeventy's response, "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Next time I'm confronted with such a question, I'll be armed (pun intended) with many reasons.

My response completely depends on who asks. Sometimes it's the fire extinguisher, sometimes I appeal to their desire to protect them and theirs. I'm pretty flexible with my answer. I think it's important to get a rough idea of who you're talking to and what they believe before giving them a full answer.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It's for the Children
    Thanks for the best laugh of the day...

Spuk.

Because pushing a JHP thru a BG with just my fingers is very hard to to.

I'm just joking. I'd never answer that way.

What I find funny though is that the some of the same people, not all, that would question you for carrying are the same people that would be praising you for saving them during a SHTF situation.

If asked, I'd reply like most here and also stress that self DEFENSE is SELF defense.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    "It's to increase my chances of a criminal picking you instead of me for his assault."
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

I simply smile and dont say a word. Those who get it already understand, and wouldnt have asked the question. Those who dont get it never will, until it is too late for them. I figure I have as much chance of getting them to see things my way as they have getting me to see things their way. Besides, I justify myself to no one. Anyone who cannot understand the rationale for a very basic requirement (defense) has been sheltered, never felt fear for their family. I have been asked that question in earnest by one person: my wife. I told her it is my job to keep her safe, and I will do a good job. Now that we have little ones I need to guard as well, I also carry extra mags, heh-heh.

Why? Oh that's easy...

My question for them is: Do you see a cop anywhere around?
    Generally they answer with a simple: No..
    My nice response to the answer is: Then give me your wallet, purse, rings, watch and Car Key's

People's eyes usually get really big, when it's put to them in very simple and clearyy understandable term's.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

A friend of mine was confronted at the license bureau one time when he was renewing his CCP. The lady behind us asked, in an astonished voice: "What could you possibly own that would be worth someone's life?" My friend was great, (not the first time he was asked as it turned out) he looked at the lady and calmly said: "I don't know, ma'am, you would have to ask the person trying to take it away from me."
    JohnKelly and Bubbiesdad like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Because I read the newspaper.
    Because I watch the local TV news.
    Because I own a police scanner and hear the calls go out, the ones that don't make the newspaper or the local TV news.
    Because **** happens.
    Because I have a wife and kids I care about.
    Because it is my right, and a right not exercised is soon lost.
    Because I can.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links