Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

This is a discussion on Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier post about the teacher being outed at Home Depot got me to thinking about a post I saw here quite awhile back but now ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

Okay, so how do YOU answer when asked, "Why...?"

Earlier post about the teacher being outed at Home Depot got me to thinking about a post I saw here quite awhile back but now can't seem to find it.

When someone asks, "Why do you carry/need a gun?" how do you reply? It's usually a legit question, and while cute, quippy or smart-arse remarks ("In case I have to shoot someone") might occasionally be appropriate, usually the questioner is seeking genuine information.

My answer would be something like, "The same reason I wear a seat belt/have a smoke alarm," or "I don't need it. Unless or until I do." Or, "I can't run as fast as I used to."

Other thoughts?

(By the way, I've only been asked this once, by a relative. If a stranger should ask, I should re-evaluate how carefully I conceal.)
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Those few who know I carry already understand.

Nobody knows, so the question doesn't come up.
    bbqgrill and Willieboy like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quite a few of my fiancees friends have asked me (usually after a good rant about SLED/my permit). My usual response is along the lines of 'to defend myself and Carrie', or 'because I can't fight very well because of my back'... legitimate answers, truthful answers. But, also 'because I can'. Not the answer I give, not the only answer. But one of my favorites.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unlike those who believe it won't happen to them, I know it can...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's for the Children
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Other than the gun shops that I deal with, nobody knows that I have a permit and nobody knows that I carry, so the question doesn't come up. I carry because I'm no longer as young and quick as I once was. With a gun, I don't have to be.

99.9% chance it's gonna be smoe sort of smarty pants answer, but that that's just me
    bigdog44 likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I never out myself so the pointed question does not arise. But in a theoretical context I always advocate for self defense to anyone, any time, the subject comes up in conversation. In fact I have denied that I carry on several social occasions, while advocating for the right to do so, just to keep the peace.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I ask them why they do not carry...then ask them the last time time they read the paper are watched the news and heard more positive stories than negative.

VIP Member
    I guess, for me, it boils down to the comforting idea that when I carry, I don't have to think or worry about what might happen if I didn't carry. Like the seatbelt or fire extinguisher, it's the last thing I want to have to use. Without it, losing my life or that of my loved ones is the last thing I dare think about. Hope and denial are not better survival tools.
    C5A likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    My extreme-liberal sister asked me if I carried. I sighed and told the truth. When she asked why, I said it was in case I needed to shoot someone.
    Freedom Doc and PatAz like this.

Because I work with bad people (probation officer) and their families in a small geographic area. I dont have to guess about the bad in the world...I know it is there and where most of it physically exists. I refuse to allow me or mine to fall victim to it or anything associated to it. If a small thing like a gun carried hidden on my belt or in my pocket can keep that from happening than that is what I will do. If it offends you, then that is your problem and not mine. It is as much my civil right to take advantage of this freedom as it is yours to speak against it.
    younggun and hienykins like this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think if somebody asked me, I'd say "Just in case I ever need to shoot somebody."

Oh, I see WHEC beat me to it.

VIP Member
    Since I open carry quite often, I get asked the question often. My usual reply is to look at the paper and watch the news. The world is a crazy and dangerous place, and I plan on making it home at night.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Because I can.

Or

Because I'm too old to get my ass whooped, but still too young to die.
    chefjon likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links