Why carry?

This is a discussion on Why carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me preface my comments by saying I do not carry, but I live in a castle doctrine state so I have a weapon available ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Why carry?

Why carry?

Let me preface my comments by saying I do not carry, but I live in a castle doctrine state so I have a weapon available in my vehicle and my home.
    I wonder if many carry simply because they can, and wonder how many carry because they have fear that it may be necessary. I live in a rural area which is private and secure so although I am protected and armed and profecient with firearms I suspect I will never have to use them in a self defense situation at my home. And I am proud to say that my wife is equally qualified to do the same and she may be a bit more aggressive in handling an intruder than I would....you know the "shoot first and ask questions later" type of attitude.

I do not carry because my lifestyle doesn't present any situation which would make me think I should, or make me think I need to.

I believe in the right to carry for everyone eligible to carry.

I wonder who carries out of fear. I think that's a terrible reason to carry and would also hope that other means could be taken to alleviate that fear. I also wonder who carries as the "armed citizen" who just may intervene in a crime attempt if given the chance. And my other wonderment is those of you that carry just out of preparedness. I think everyone should be prepared. But is changing my lifestyle to be prepared for something that may never happen a good choice?

2. Remove Ads

My wife and i carry because we have 5 kids. i will do everything i can to protect them from the scum that do in fact live int he world, even in the rural setting that you and I live in. Meth heads are much more prevalent in rural ares in fact and can be some of the most desperate and violent of criminals.

i do not mean to sound judgmental here but, if you think that just because you live in a rural area that you are safe, you and your wife are fooling yourselves. Violent crime happens in big cities and in small towns. There is no safe area. Here is an article that proves my point. You can do searches for violent crime in rural areas and see for yourself. Henning TN Post Office murders
    shyguy122577 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I carry simply because I am responsible for the safety of myself and my family.
    sixsccw, shooterX and Snider like this.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I carry a gun because it's lighter than a cop.

I've always wanted to use that one.

Fear and preparedness go hand in hand for me. If I'm concerned something may happen, then I prepare for the chance it might happen. We've had a few incidents that were kind of close to home. I work late nights in a not so good part of town. The easiest way for me to get comfortable carrying was to carry all the time. Once I got used to it, I just kept doing it. I'll be fine if I go to my grave never needing it. But there is no way to tell if that will happen.

I carry nearly 100% of the time at home too. I'm in a smallish town just outside of a larger town. Just when I think I may be overdoing it something happens to remind me that may not be the case. Last week an older guy in the western part of the county answered his door at 9am. For his trouble he was pepper sprayed, beaten, and robbed.

If violence was scheduled, I would check my calendar before I left the house and carry accordingly. Since it's not, I've decided to carry all the time. To each their own though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

As long as you never interact with the public at large you'll be fine with your home situation.

Once you step out of your residence you are no longer in total control of what life will bring. There are too many people that have no idea what respect and honor are any more.

VIP Member
    I carry out of practicality. If you don't carry, you probably won't have it when you need it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Even in a rural residence there really is no safe time anymore. If you have dogs, you may have time to retrieve a firearm, but I can't count on it. The safest place for a gun and the most accessible is on body carry all the time. Nowadays, having a gun in the house or car can make it a target if left unattended. We can't prepare for everything or anticipate surprise evil; we are all fugitives from death. But having immediate access to a defensive tool at all times is only logical. Once the determination and effort to find an appropriate handgun and method of comfortable carry is achieved, the peace of mind is rewarding. It frees you from the unconscious mental gymnastics you must constantly perform in order to pretend it won’t ever suddenly happen to you or your loved ones. We all pay a price to live in denial. Freed from that, we can be polite, helpful to others, and more fully use our gifts for God, country, and family.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

By the way, i did a quick search and found some interesting things about your area, Branson MO. Check these out:

Branson Crime Statistics and Crime Data (Branson, MO)

Branson, Missouri is in the 98% percentile rank in the state for Violent Crime. It is in the 97% percentile rank nationally. Lower numbers are better. In this case, 98% of cities in Missouri have crime rates equal to or lower than Branson, or said another way, 2% of cities in Missouri have crime rates higher than Branson.
    http://www.homesurfer.com/crimerepor...O&area=Branson

Do you still think that even though you live in a "rural area" that you do not come into regular contact with scum bags who commit crimes and violent crimes?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I carry a gun because it's the most practical means of self defense that I can think of. I believe that my life is valuable and it is my own responsibility to protect it. This general philosophy leads me to do other things as well -- do you drive safely and wear your seatbelt?

"But is changing my lifestyle to be prepared for something that may never happen a good choice?"

how about stop smokin and eating better before a heart attack or lung cancer hits ya, that could be a good lifestyle change, or quit doin coke, crack or other drugs before you end up in prison or dead? another good lifestyle change, or for me personally, quit drinkin and chasin the ladies till the sun comes up and get married and settle down with my wife a few kids. compared to these, strapin on my gun to keep the boogie-man away isn't much of a change at all. i think for alot of us the only real change is the 24/7 carry, most of us grew up with guns and had em before a permit to carry

i carry because i live way out in the country...no cop can/will protect me (though i know some who would if they could)...it is my responsibility...i carry when i am in town because again...it is my responsibility to protect myself & my loved ones/friends...no fear...just my responsibility...

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I (will soon) carry because I don't want to have a 'what if' situation. What if I had the means to stop a violent robbery that was perpetrated upon me or my loved ones while I was there? What if I was able to stop a violent attack that I or mine had to endure? The list goes on & on.

If you think that you are safe because...let me tell you, I've had the occasion to talk with & listen to criminals & thugs. They know you feel safe & will seek you out wherever or whenever you feel your safest - because that makes their crime that much easier for them to commit. They want what they want & will sometimes do whatever it takes to get it.

It doesn't take a paranoid person to say, "I'm going to commit myself to learning about & training for carrying a weapon". It only takes someone who wishes to prepare themselves, mentally, physically, & legally for the possibilities of what some people in this world may have in store for us.

I'll carry everywhere that will be legal to do so, as I do in my home & on my property now, because I never want to think about what I could have done differently after it's too late. I'm not giving up anything in trying to ensure that I'll have the opportunity to say "I love you" to my wife, or to hear it from her again.

I'll carry to be better prepared for that which may never happen, & be very happy if it never does.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I am not able to fight off anyone bigger than 50lbs. The gun I carry is my Last Stand for me and mine.

I carry at certain times and under certain conditions where there is objectively some heightened danger and where I feel vulnerable, even though it isn't a grave danger and the overwhelming chances are I will never use a gun.

Other times, like you, I perceive the benefits are outweighed by the negatives of carrying and while anything can happen any time it would be a freakish occurrence like 100 others I accept as the inherent dangers of life. Beyond that I have no sense of heightened danger and objectively am quite safe. Driving is a much greater risk, and that I take action to meet (i.e., staying alert, engaging in defensive driving, staying on top of maintenance, especially that pertaining to safety on the road etc.).

I think if you feel safe and objectively are safe - as safe as one can get in life - then it's fine if you don't carry. You have your home protected, and for your situation that's enough for you. Fine.
    shockwave and MadMac like this.

I grew up in a home with guns. Dad took me shooting as a child. Guns became a shared hobby. When I turned 18 I got my carry license. I carried sporadically up until I moved to Florida. After moving here I checked into the crime rate, I was amazed at how much crime goes on here. Since then I have carried whenever I can do so legally.

I do not carry out of fear. I prepare for the worst and pray for the best. I look at it like keeping a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. I hope I never need it, but if I do, I'd rather have it right there where I need it, than have it out in the garage still in it's box.
    Question Everything!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links