Let's watch that trigger finger.................................

This is a discussion on Let's watch that trigger finger................................. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BkCo1 It is a Glock. For field stripping you have to pull the trigger. Maybe he was rushed and nervous and forgot ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Let's watch that trigger finger.................................

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    It is a Glock. For field stripping you have to pull the trigger. Maybe he was rushed and nervous and forgot which drill he was doing.
    Semper Fi
    I never liked this procedure and I can't keep track of how many times I've read of this particular mishap.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

Angry

So many people including those who carry as part of their daily routine do not take the time to properly learn the manual of arms for their weapon. Redundency and repetiton are required. They take the concealed course and never really take the time to properly aquent themselves with their weapon after that. My department has had officers ND Glocks because they cleared the round from the chamber and had not taken the magazine out of the weapon so they closed the slide put another round in the chamber, removed the magazine and then pulled the trigger to take the weapon down discharging the chambered round. That is why we now have such an elaberate administrative unload/reload as policy. So many LEO's only have contact with their weapons during annual qualification and do not take the time to get to know their firearm because they have the mentality that is all they need to do. These are the same one's that do not carry off duty because they believe trouble happens to others but not to them.

The Glock is a very simple manual of arms however redundency and repition are still required to learn it so that it becomes second nature. My opinion . My rant.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

<rant>

From the news article - Quote from the Sheriff's department:
    He removed the semiautomatic handgun from his waistband and while removing the magazine or clearing the round from the chamber, "the firearm discharged, striking him in the leg."
    NO. NO. NO. He shot the gun. It didn't just discharge.

I absolutely hate it when people, especially those who should know better like a Sheriff, use this phrase. It perpetuates the belief in people that are ignorant of guns and how they function that they just "go off" and are dangerous to even be around.

</rant>
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    It is a Glock. For field stripping you have to pull the trigger. Maybe he was rushed and nervous and forgot which drill he was doing.
    Semper Fi
    Even if he had been nervous, WHY was he pointing the firearm at his leg when he pulled the trigger.

I stand by my original thought. Either through inexperience or over confidence he was rushing through what should be a careful and considered operation even at the best of times and situations.

Remember the Four Rules! How many did he break? How many do each of us break because we KNOW it isn't loaded. It happens to everyone from time to time. You give yourself a mental slap to the head and endeavor to do better.

This unfortunate fellow got the harder reminder.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

One reason I do not load and unload my guns. I load them and they stay that way from then on (unless I go to the range and have to re-load with SD rounds afterwards). They go in the safe loaded, come out loaded, and go into a holster loaded and do not leave the holster unless there is a need (such as changing carry pieces and putting it back in the safe). I figure the less handling the less chances of an ND. Knock on wood, I've never had one and hope to keep it that way. It can happen to anyone and time will tell, but there's no sense in doing things to increase the odds.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow. Expensive and painful lesson. Hope it wasn't too traumatic for the son seeing him shot, bleeding and being ambulanced away.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    One reason I do not load and unload my guns. I load them and they stay that way from then on (unless I go to the range and have to re-load with SD rounds afterwards). They go in the safe loaded, come out loaded, and go into a holster loaded and do not leave the holster unless there is a need (such as changing carry pieces and putting it back in the safe). I figure the less handling the less chances of an ND. Knock on wood, I've never had one and hope to keep it that way. It can happen to anyone and time will tell, but there's no sense in doing things to increase the odds.
    Very well stated as this is how I deal with guns as well. I experienced an unintentional discharge in my early years and it made me more hyper-vigilant ever since. Moreover, I tend to incorporate additional safety features in the guns I choose to carry. Granted, there's no substitute for practice and training but there are a few mods and features that can lower ones’ exposure.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Sounds painful, glad everyone is ok tho
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Something to think about, hah?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Along with watching the trigger finger, lets also keep in mind not pointing loaded pistols at one's own legs. People always seem to forget that part of the equation.

If I am CC'ing a holster that's not easily removable then I'll take a second holster along if I need to disarm. Generally transfer it from, say, the beltslide to the SERPA then secure it in the car. I would not leave a Glock loaded and unholstered. I consider a holster a mandatory piece of safety equipment for my Glock.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not familiar with such a law, could you please post the source for that law?
    That is the law in my state. You cannot carry anywhere that sells admission. Im not sure if that is true in Florida. But like another said regardless you cant carry in Disney.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

How does a Glock go bang without the trigger being pulled? I've never had anything like that happen with my Glock. Did he some how pull the trigger with his finger while he was unloading?
    Old School likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    That is the law in my state. You cannot carry anywhere that sells admission. Im not sure if that is true in Florida. But like another said regardless you cant carry in Disney.
    There is no similar law in Florida. Disney might prefer that you not carry there, but the law does not bar one from doing so.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    There is no similar law in Florida. Disney might prefer that you not carry there, but the law does not bar one from doing so.
    Do signs hold the weight of law in Florida? Would be nice to know, since we're considering taking the whole family down there for a few days. Can't go to Florida without taking the niece and nephew to Disney World, right?

On topic, he obviously had to pull the trigger for that to happen. Why he would try to unload it, rather than just putting it in the glovebox is beyond me though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links