Let's watch that trigger finger................................. - Page 3

Let's watch that trigger finger.................................

This is a discussion on Let's watch that trigger finger................................. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yet another example of why removing and/or unloading your self defense sidearm is a BAD IDEA. Mistakes happen, but guns in holsters don't fire themselves, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Let's watch that trigger finger.................................

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yet another example of why removing and/or unloading your self defense sidearm is a BAD IDEA. Mistakes happen, but guns in holsters don't fire themselves, or get stolen out of cars. BAN GUN FREE ZONES!!!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    It is a Glock. For field stripping you have to pull the trigger. Maybe he was rushed and nervous and forgot which drill he was doing.
    Semper Fi
    He was unloading the weapon, not field stripping. The drill is not that similar.
    Another reason to outlaw GLOCKs. GLOCK is the only gun that will ND when you point it, loaded, at your leg and pull the trigger. Any other gun would have been safe! This guy is in dire need of a $2000 1911!

I carry a S&W revolvers btw, but I do own and trust my G23. It has a NY#1 trigger and I treat it with care and respect. As a wheelgunner, the GLOCK is the only semi auto I will carry (same drill as revolver.) GLOCKs are lke J Frames, they require a little more practice in their use.

I do agree with other posters that Unloading or Loading is the most dangerous time with any gun.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I've heard a firearms instructor say that he's seen five people ND while trying to eject a round into their hand while holding the gun upside down. Apparently the slide or protruding firing pin can hit the primer and discharge while the slide is out of battery?
    I used to unload my gun and take the mags with me when I had to leave it in my vehicle. I don't want my gun to be stolen and used in another crime. Now I just pop the mag out, and leave the one in the chamber, to avoid the extra risk in unloading. That's one reason I like having a mag safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Do signs hold the weight of law in Florida?
    No, they do not. On the other hand, if a Disney cast member (employee) asks you to leave because you are carrying, you must leave immediately or be guilty of armed trespass. On the third hand, if they tell you to leave because it is an odd-numbered Thursday, or for no reason at all, you must leave immediately or be guilty of armed trespass.

I have never seen any such sign posted at Disney World in Orlando, although I have been told it is in their policies and procedures manual. But even if they had such a sign, their policies would not have the force of law. Also, Disney do not have metal detectors and they do not pat you down. Concealed means concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I've heard a firearms instructor say that he's seen five people ND while trying to eject a round into their hand while holding the gun upside down. Apparently the slide or protruding firing pin can hit the primer and discharge while the slide is out of battery?
    I used to unload my gun and take the mags with me when I had to leave it in my vehicle. I don't want my gun to be stolen and used in another crime. Now I just pop the mag out, and leave the one in the chamber, to avoid the extra risk in unloading. That's one reason I like having a mag safety.
    I've seen all sorts of contortions people go through to try to eject a round into their hand. My CCW instructor had the class basically muzzling their chests in some strange ritual he was trying to teach. He was a former police chief.

Personally, I see no need to go through these games. Inevitably there is a seat, cupholder, table, counter, bed or whatever nearby that I can safely eject the round onto by doing a slow but firm racking of the slide. I let the object "catch" the bullet. While I do this, finger off trigger and muzzle pointed in a safe direction. No excuse to ever have muzzle pointed at yourself for any reason.

Another advantage to the "Antique" and Ancient" revolver. Push cylinder release, eject rounds. No issues with unloading or loading.

I have done it thousands of times. Never had a round go off in the open cylinder!

Sorry, just had to bring it up, tired of being called "Wild Bill" and "Wyatt Earp" by my "Modern" buddies .
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Do signs hold the weight of law in Florida? Would be nice to know, since we're considering taking the whole family down there for a few days. Can't go to Florida without taking the niece and nephew to Disney World, right?

On topic, he obviously had to pull the trigger for that to happen. Why he would try to unload it, rather than just putting it in the glovebox is beyond me though.
    No, signs mean nothing. Security can ask you to leave the premises, however.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not familiar with such a law, could you please post the source for that law?
    I would like to see that as well

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While it my not be against FL law to carry there, it is against park rules.
    exactly, while it is not illegal to carry at wdw, it is private property and as per FLA law they can ask you to leave their property, failure to comply with that request will get you a ride to jail for trespass

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I do know from teaching Hunter Education classes in Florida, If you are caught tresspassing with a weapon, any weapon, even a pocket knife it goes from tresspassing to "armed tresspassing" which is a Felony in The Sunshine State.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by FrankWSweet View Post
    No, they do not. On the other hand, if a Disney cast member (employee) asks you to leave because you are carrying, you must leave immediately or be guilty of armed trespass. On the third hand, if they tell you to leave because it is an odd-numbered Thursday, or for no reason at all, you must leave immediately or be guilty of armed trespass.

I have never seen any such sign posted at Disney World in Orlando, although I have been told it is in their policies and procedures manual. But even if they had such a sign, their policies would not have the force of law. Also, Disney do not have metal detectors and they do not pat you down. Concealed means concealed.
    Exactly what I was thinking. If I do make it down there any time soon, I won't be parting with my gun.

I also wonder if he wasn't trying to catch the round. I've never unloaded in a vehicle, but I imagine he could have dropped it right onto the seat pretty easily.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links