Driving Through Maryland

Driving Through Maryland

This is a discussion on Driving Through Maryland within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the few weeks leading up to my 21st birthday, I have been studying the various laws regarding concealed carry in states that I frequent. ...

Thread: Driving Through Maryland

Driving Through Maryland

In the few weeks leading up to my 21st birthday, I have been studying the various laws regarding concealed carry in states that I frequent. I am a Pennsylvania resident, but I go to school in West Virginia. The fastest way from one location to the other involves cutting through Maryland, which will not honor my Pennsylvania permit. From what I understand, my handgun will have to be unloaded in a locked container in the cargo area of my vehicle. The problem is that I drive a pickup, specifically a super cab, and I am a little confused on how to go about this.

Any advice for the 60 miserable minutes I have to spend in that state?

FWIW, I am planning on getting one of those COM in car gun lockers.

If it is locked unloaded in a COM safe, and separated from the ammo, you should be good to go.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hiram is correct. Handgun or ammo in a locked case. FOPA says if no trunk, handgun OR ammo in a locked container.

check out Center of Mass

Lead Moderator
    I'd also make sure the mags are empty.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Loaded mags are fine in MD. The MD AG has issued an opinion that loaded mags are not illegal. in MD. I have attached the ruling and the FOPA ruling as well
    Attached Files
    Last edited by swinokur; May 23rd, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

Hello from Morgantown. Maryland is always a hassle. The worst part is having to stop and disarm/unload/lockup before you cruise into MD; I've had to do this on the side of the road before driving over from Morgantown to the Eastern Panhandle. Make sure you lock an empty gun up every single time you enter MD.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Make sure you lock an empty gun up every single time you enter MD.
    Agreed, Just one of many 2A reasons MD will NOT be my homestead here shortly.

From Mark H. Bowen Assistant Attorney General

Maryland law does not require that magazines be unloaded, or carried in a container separate from the handgun. The exceptions that allow transportation of a handgun, as set forth in Section 4-203(b)(3), (4) and (5) of the Criminal Law Article, merely require that the handgun be “unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster.”
    Last edited by Backnblack; May 23rd, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Is it that much further to bypass going through MD? Seems you will be doing a lot of excessive gun manipulation, may be worth a little extra gas to prevent a AD.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Is it that much further to bypass going through MD? Seems you will be doing a lot of excessive gun manipulation, may be worth a little extra gas to prevent a AD.
    It was a thought, but any other route adds at least an hour to an already 3.5 hour trip. Anyhow, thanks for the info. The FOPA info was really helpful.

Some additional advice. Store in something that does not say gun. When traveling between Pa and Va I used to go thru Md. I put ammo in LOCKED tool box and guns in LOCKING briefcase.

Also have enough gas and if possible stay on the interstates. Less chance of being hassled and why spend money in a state like Md.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Loaded mags are fine in MD. The MD AG has issued an opinion that loaded mags are not illegal. in MD. I have attached the ruling and the FOPA ruling as well
    Thanks, hadn't seen those!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is related in that we will be staying in MD one night over the Memorial Day week end.
    My question relates to when we go into DC, can we keep our pistols locked in our saddle bags?
    We will be riding in with "Rolling Thunder" early group on Sunday and leaving some time Monday PM.
    Thank you for your support.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is related in that we will be staying in MD one night over the Memorial Day week end.
    My question relates to when we go into DC, can we keep our pistols locked in our saddle bags?
    We will be riding in with "Rolling Thunder" early group on Sunday and leaving some time Monday PM.
    Thank you for your support.
    No way. Do not leave a firearm or even ammo in your saddlebags. Your FOPA protection ends the minute you stop in MD. After you stop in MD you can't even have a firearm in your saddlebags unless you are going to and from your business, gun shop or range.

Google MD Statute 4-203 and FOPA SS 926A. MD and DC are 2 of the most anti firearm places in the US. DC locked a guy up for having a pistol in his camper parked on the mall. Not worth it IMO.

Sponsored Links