Saw this on TV the other day

This is a discussion on Saw this on TV the other day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An episode of parking wars, where they follow "Meter maids" around and watch the people get upset over getting a parking ticket. (Hey, not much ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By wjh2657

Thread: Saw this on TV the other day

An episode of parking wars, where they follow "Meter maids" around and watch the people get upset over getting a parking ticket. (Hey, not much else good on TV.)
    So this guy in Detroit has a boot put on his car. Apparently he had over $600 in parking tickets. He stops a woman that is going around writing tickets, and wants the boot removed. She calls the department that puts the boots on and he says they can't remove the boot until he pays the tickets.

The guy is mad as a hornet. When they threaten to tow the car he flashes his CPL to the officer and then proceeds to retrieve his gun from the car. He pocket holsters the gun while making a comment about "using" it.

The parking officer calls a police unit. They verify that the CPL is valid, but are REALLY upset about the threats this guy was making. The guy dosen't have nay warrents but the cop tells him "it's a concealed weapon permit, you can't display the gun. Technically this is incorrect because Michigan is an open carry state. However the y way the guy was acting he could be considered "Brandishing" but flashing it at that traffic officers.
    Surprisingly the officers let him keep the gun but said they would be filing a report with the local gun board. This guy will most likley end up loosing his CPL, which he should considering the way he was acting.

If he had just wanted to retireve his "Valuebles" from the car and not made a big production of showing the gun and the CPL I would say that's fine, but threatening to use the "CPL" is the same as threatening to use the gun.

VIP Member
    They shoulda spread him out and 'cuffed him up.
    bigdog44 and Erick46590 like this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    bye bye permit
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

He does not show the mental stamina to be a cc holder.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Stupid is as stupid does! They should have spread him out, disarmed him and arrested him for communicating a threat.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I saw that last night. That guy does a disservice to every law-abiding permit holder out there. He was putting on a real show in saying, "I'll be damned of they gonna take my car" while commenting that he's a CCW holder. He, while the camera is following him, then goes into the vehicle & retrieves his obviously unsecured, but holstered weapon, & then procedes to put the IWB holster under his belt...but not in his waistband. He was puttin' on a show for the cameras & the parking enforcement officers.

One can only hope that the gun board sees this & pulls his permit, not to mention the DA seeing it & deciding to press charges.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    He was puttin' on a show for the cameras & the parking enforcement officers.
    And graphically showing his stupidity and lack of maturity. And a total disgrace to fellow CCWers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

i'd say that it was a set up, fake craptastic "real' tv just like the "repo" guys, who would be shot down like a dog if the really did business like that

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It's TV...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Think about it:

The cameras they use for taping this show are not "little bitty things." Camera and camera people are visible, he is facing a uniform, and he has a CCP (meaning he has some knowledge of the law)

This was staged TV, and probably intended to show the "threat" to LEOs from licensed gun carriers.

If this had occurred in an isolated (CCWer and Meter maid alone) situation I might buy it. But this was strictly "Reality TV" and utter BS.
    ccwguy likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Think about it:

The cameras they use for taping this show are not "little bitty things." Camera and camera people are visible, he is facing a uniform, and he has a CCP (meaning he has some knowledge of the law)

This was staged TV, and probably intended to show the "threat" to LEOs from licensed gun carriers.

If this had occurred in an isolated (CCWer and Meter maid alone) situation I might buy it. But this was strictly "Reality TV" and utter BS.
    I hadn't considered the possiblity that this was staged for the camera. I suppose it's possible, but then that raises the question, if these were real cops, then why are they "acting" for the camera, when they are on the clock? Shouldn't the tax payers be outraged that the cops are performing for the camera when they should eb dealing with real situations?
    I believe someone on the show said it was Wayne County (Detroit) which from what I have heard has one of the most unfriendly gun boards in Michigan. If this guy really did act the way he was shown I hope they pull his permit, not that it will stop him from carrying anyways.

The fact that his face wasn't introduced to the asphalt and he didn't win a free ride in a police car wearing a nice set of chrome bracelets should be our first clue that this was staged TV crap. If that happened in my neck of the woods, and that dude would have road rash all over his head...and in the report it might even indicate that he had accidentally bumped his head on the officers flashlight. That stuff happens.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Reality TV; it really means 'really fake' TV

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I hadn't considered the possiblity that this was staged for the camera. I suppose it's possible, but then that raises the question, if these were real cops, then why are they "acting" for the camera, when they are on the clock?
    It is absolutely true that the film crew follows their assigned officers using large, professional quality cameras and sound equipment. As far as being staged, that is difficult to say. Typically the events are real, but it is human nature to "act" when you know you are being filmed. In the early 90's as a young eager police detective, I had the experience of being involved as a back up officer, in a narcotics raid which was being filmed for one of the early "COPS" episodes in Portland, OR. Everything that happened was real, in the sense that it was a real search warrant, and we broke down a real door, found real dope and made a real arrest. The lead officer in the several episodes filmed here, went on to retire from law enforcement and wound up with his own (lousy) spin-off series. That lead officer and his immediate crew were certainly making sure the camera got his "good side" and had something to film. It was very real, but in my opinion over dramatized by our "star." The acting even involved the suspects who knew they were going to be on Tee-Vee and were hoping for their big Hollywood break. If they didn't sign a release, their faces were fuzzed-out.

Fortunately that was the only episode I was involved in. When asking for "extras" for the drug unit at that time, I always found something else to involved with.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Links