Alcohol and Situational Awareness- Incompatible? - Page 8

Alcohol and Situational Awareness- Incompatible?

This is a discussion on Alcohol and Situational Awareness- Incompatible? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am no angel when it comes to this forum and have had my share of critics and penalties from the forum. Many recent replies ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Alcohol and Situational Awareness- Incompatible?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I am no angel when it comes to this forum and have had my share of critics and penalties from the forum. Many recent replies seem to have become nothing but argumentative kindergarden behaviour and lend nothing to this forum other than for some members to start "verbal fights" with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I am no angel when it comes to this forum and have had my share of critics and penalties from the forum. Many recent replies seem to have become nothing but argumentative kindergarden behaviour and lend nothing to this forum other than for some members to start "verbal fights" with each other.
    Agreed. Which is why I'm done.

Agree to disagree I guess.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I'll stand up and admit that I drank a few Bud Select 55's last night while I had my gun on, in fact I never considered taking it off. It didn't affect my situational awareness one bit. I even handled ammution when I gave my neighbor 300 rds to go shooting today. He didn't have any cash until Thursday and he wanted to take his dad and brother shooting so I squared him away with some reloads till he got paid. I like the taste of beer, just like humans have for the past several thousand years.

I can post some research that says that alcohol in moderation actually improves heart health and helps diminish loss of congnative function over the lifetime, so maybe when I am 80 my drinking will give me better situational awareness than someone who has choosen not to drink. I can post other sources that say that Americans take about 80% of the pain medications perscribed world wide. I can post sources that state that talking on your cell phone is more dangerous than driving drunk.

If you want maximum situational awareness, don't drink, don't smoke, don't have caffine, don't talk on your cell phone/text or do any smart phone functions, don't take any sinus medication, don't take any pain meds, don't listen to the radio, don't watch tv, don't read a book, don't have children or any other people or pets around you, and certainly don't spend any time on the computer. Why because all of those things and many others will detract from your situational awareness. Do you do any of the things that I listed? If so, why? If you want to be at your best you wouldn't would you?

Just because you have had problems in your family with alcohol or seen others who have problems with it, don't project that on the rest of the world. I have seen problems with folks talking on cell phones whether driving, standing in line a the checkout delaying me, or any other number of places where they do stupid things while on the phone. (anyone remember the lady in the mall walking into a fountain while texting?) Does that mean I don't use a cell phone. Absolutely not. I am however, aware of when I am using it and what I am doing at the same time. No different than alcohol. Anything you do has the ability to lower your situational awareness. Know what you're capable of. Did your CHL instructor go over condition White, Yellow, Orange, Red and Black? If not, I would be glad to send you that section of my lesson plan for my CHL Classes.
    Of all the things you mentioned, nearly every one could be performed while still having a degree of situational awareness. If you are focused on your phone, computer, a book (etc) you still have peripheral vision, hearing, etc. If you are alone and someone approaches, you can simply look up and have 100% of your SA. The reason we are talking about drinking is because it IMPAIRS all of your senses, and you can't regain those senses immediately. HUGE difference from the metaphors you were trying to draw. When alcohol is in the blood stream, its not going away anytime soon, which is precisely why its so dangerous to be impaired in such a away. It causes a person to be vulnerable to a person that has full cognition.

Wouldn't it depend on what full cognition of the two individuals are? There as some folks who can't pay attention to anything when stone cold sober. I see it all the time, they are living in condition white full time, or simply too stupid from the get go.

You assume all people have the same capabilities, that simply isn't so. One person functioning at 100% might be equal to another functioning at 50%.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Wouldn't it depend on what full cognition of the two individuals are? There as some folks who can't pay attention to anything when stone cold sober. I see it all the time, they are living in condition white full time, or simply too stupid from the get go.

You assume all people have the same capabilities, that simply isn't so. One person functioning at 100% might be equal to another functioning at 50%.
    I see your point, and no, there are no 2 people that are the same. My main point is that they will all be impaired to a point. The person that is at 100% will be impaired to 90% (or far more, depending on the impairment) The person at 50% will drop down to 45% (or more) and so on..... It seems strange that some people will talk about scenarios, and how to handle each one in great detail, and take self defense to a science, and yet, despite all of this, they will throw away the best self defense tool of all: The human brain. See my point? Why would anyone put in that much effort and take this topic so seriously and then throw it all away by getting drunk? I think its either important to have SA or its not. Since we all agree that you never know when you will need it.
    Fitch likes this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links