Travel Thru Mass. ?

This is a discussion on Travel Thru Mass. ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Done the Search thing. Perhaps I can not get used to spelling something as convoluted as Massachusechtettes or whatever it is. Anyway, I want to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gruntingfrog

Thread: Travel Thru Mass. ?

Travel Thru Mass. ?

Done the Search thing. Perhaps I can not get used to spelling something as convoluted as Massachusechtettes or whatever it is.
    Anyway, I want to travel thu that hole and wonder if I will be OK with unloaded mag, unloaded gun, gun and ammo separated, etc.

Is there any hope?

2. Remove Ads

Not sure but wouldn't stop unless you just have to. Then keep them out of passenger area.

Nope. Mass is unfriendly! When I went on my Honeymoon to Bar Harbor, I was fine with my NYS through NY, Vt., NH, and Maine. But our return was through Mass. after doing the research, I had to leave it home. Unless I was wrong somewhere or the laws have changed since '04.

Jim

Here's the NRA page on interstate transportation of firearms. Scroll down to the Massachusetts section.

NRA-ILA - Interstate Firearms Transport
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    926A. — *Interstate transportation of firearms. - US 926A. — *Interstate transportation of firearms. - US Code :: Justia

926a should keep You legal travelling thru the state of MA. Print a few copies and travel the speed limit.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    wonder if I will be OK with unloaded mag, unloaded gun, gun and ammo separated, etc.
    You MUST comply with the transportation requirements in FOPA (referenced above) to be legal. If you don't, you WILL be prosecuted in MA. Just keeping the gun unloaded and out of the passenger compartment is NOT ADEQUATE to comply with that Fed Law.

Also do NOT stop in MA for anything other than gas/bathroom/meals. Stopping overnight will jeopardize your FOPA status and could result in a jail term.
    NRA Instructor

As long as both guns and ammo are locked up (separately) and in the truck you'll be fine. Even if you did get pulled over you do not have to notify the officer in MA. As long as you don't stay the night you'll be fine. (I'm from there)

the operative word is through, if you stop in Mass. for ANY reason you are at risk, if you comply with the conditions set by the federal laws for transport you should be ok

Also no high cap mags (over 10 rounds). Fopa won't help you here.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Are you sure about that? FOPA's purpose is to override state law to allow you to make it to your destination providing your legal in your starting and ending point regardless of whats in between. It's a felony for a MA resident to have a gun in their possession at all without an LTC yet an out of stater can legally transport THROUGH the state because there legal in their home state and on the other end. I don't see how MA's high cap mag ban would somehow be immune from FOPA.

Done it many times unfortunately. Never been stopped thank god. As long as it's locked in a box, unloaded, and ammo is separately locked up and it's in your trunk you are covered (or if you don't have a trunk like me as far away from the passengers as possible). Get gas before you cross into mass and drive straight through without stopping if you can. Where are you headed that you have to go through mass? You can bring your high cap mags as long as you are allowed to have them where you live and at your destination and you do not stop in mass.

The only place worth stopping at in mass is in Landsborough at the olde forge restaurant...over 300 beers in stock

I got pulled over in IL (worse than mass) one time for an out taillight and the LEO was a.....you know what...searched my truck tried to get me on anything he could but I had everything separate and locked up and I wasn't stopping for anything so he had to let me go, called in all the serial #'s (long gun and pistol) it was great driving away with a big smile and my guns. You will be fine just play by the rules.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    I see nothing in FOPA that "exempts" hi-cap mags from legal protection for transporting thru states that ban them (NY, NJ, MA, CA, etc.).

AFAIK, if you are legal at both ends of the trip AND do NOT stop in MA for anything but food/bathroom/gas, FOPA protects you from the dumb AWB/mag ban laws in MA. [IANAL]
    NRA Instructor

Links