First time stopped by LEO while carrying

This is a discussion on First time stopped by LEO while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Travelling through the panhandle of Texas earlier today and got pulled over by TX DPS. When he approached the car, engine was off and both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First time stopped by LEO while carrying

Travelling through the panhandle of Texas earlier today and got pulled over by TX DPS. When he approached the car, engine was off and both hands on the wheel. He told me why he stopped me, then asked for license. I handed him both license and CCW (TX is a must notify state). He said that he appreciated me telling him up front, and had me remove the gun from my IWB holster and hand it to my wife to hold while I went to his car with him. Had some conversation in the car and I got a warning for following too close. All in all, I can't complain, even if I do think he was fishing (whole line of cars, all tailgating, and he pulls me, I think the out of state plates was likely why I was chosen.)

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    All in all, I can't complain, even if I do think he was fishing (whole line of cars, all tailgating, and he pulls me, I think the out of state plates was likely why I was chosen.)

YMMV
    Yep, probably the AZ plates. There is apparently a lot of drug trafficking that comes through Texas from Arizona and it probably caught his eye. Plus, the fishing metaphor is appropriate and one that a police officer friend of mine once explained to me.

Me: "Why did you choose to pull him over? Everyone was speeding."
    Cop Buddy: "You ever try to catch every fish in the lake?"
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Administrator
    Out of state plates in Texas panhandle... yeah, that sounds like a good pond to be fishing.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Its not profiling just good investigative deduction on a "hunch".

We just had a nare do well pulled over on our local major highway with Florida plates for his "window tint". His car was hit on by the drug dog and he had thousands of dollars of unexplained cash and paraphrenalia. Just how police officers are supposed to do it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

When you go rabbit hunting, do you get all of the rabbits?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Its not profiling just good investigative deduction on a "hunch".

We just had a nare do well pulled over on our local major highway with Florida plates for his "window tint". His car was hit on by the drug dog and he had thousands of dollars of unexplained cash and paraphrenalia. Just how police officers are supposed to do it.
    Not that I care if a druggie is arrested, but what has our freedom come to when tinting your windows is against the law? Next they'll outlaw dark glasses and sunscreen.

VIP Member
    The cops are checking cars going southbound for cash to confiscate. To heck with the drugs going north. Now with the help of the Supreme Court, if you're in your house and they hear crying about your loss of liberty, or if they smell something, they can kick in. But first they'd have to make friends with Ramses the mastiff here.

Ramses.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Not that I care if a druggie is arrested, but what has our freedom come to when tinting your windows is against the law? Next they'll outlaw dark glasses and sunscreen.
    You do realize that window tinting is not illegal right? TOO dark of tint is what is illegal, usually darker than 33% (and only in some states). It is for the protection of law enforcement officers who have to approach vehicles during traffic stops, when the tint is below 33% it is very difficult to see what is going on inside the car and therefore when LEO approaches he doesn't know what / who he's approaching which could be a very dangerous situation for him/her. I for one would prefer a calm un-nervous LEO with a gun approaching my car rather then one on edge because he's unaware of what he's coming up on to. If that means I have to stick to a tint light enough to allow for plenty of UV protection rather then something darker which really isn't necessary (in some sub-tropical states darker may be required due to a more intense exposure to the sun, such as FL or CA but I think their tint laws are also much more loose)

On a related note, OP glad to hear your first CCW pull over went well and hope the rest do as well. Being upfront with them helps keep them calm and you always want people with guns to be calm and not worried or nervous.

Phillip
    PatAz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    His tint was obviously too dark they showed it n=on the news and it was like limo tint (probable cause) and I forgot to mention he had a revoked operators. The car also smelled of weed which got the dog called in. I typed the original post a little too fast.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    When you go rabbit hunting, do you get all of the rabbits?
    No, but I shoot at NOTHING but rabbits.
    Stubborn likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Why don't you just open your tinted window? No reason not to have tint, this officer safety thing is really starting to go to far.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsu08ms3 View Post
    You do realize that window tinting is not illegal right? TOO dark of tint is what is illegal, usually darker than 33% (and only in some states). It is for the protection of law enforcement officers who have to approach vehicles during traffic stops, when the tint is below 33% it is very difficult to see what is going on inside the car and therefore when LEO approaches he doesn't know what / who he's approaching which could be a very dangerous situation for him/her. I for one would prefer a calm un-nervous LEO with a gun approaching my car rather then one on edge because he's unaware of what he's coming up on to. If that means I have to stick to a tint light enough to allow for plenty of UV protection rather then something darker which really isn't necessary (in some sub-tropical states darker may be required due to a more intense exposure to the sun, such as FL or CA but I think their tint laws are also much more loose)

On a related note, OP glad to hear your first CCW pull over went well and hope the rest do as well. Being upfront with them helps keep them calm and you always want people with guns to be calm and not worried or nervous.

Phillip
    BkCo1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pica View Post
    Why don't you just open your tinted window? No reason not to have tint, this officer safety thing is really starting to go to far.
    Seriously your blacked out windows on your car for appearance sake is more important than the safety of a police officer and his comfort in doing his job that he's getting paid beans to do? If you think about it it's also for civilian safety, a trigger happy young LEO would be much less likely to accidentally shoot an innocent civilian if he can see clearly what's going on in a car before he gets too close and gets nervous by any movement (such as a window rolling down that he doesn't know what's going to be behind it)... [sarcasm] but you're right screw that safety of both parties stuff, as long as we look cool with our blacked out windows before we get shot[/sarcasm]. Also Unless you drive a Toyota 4Runner and maybe a few other select vehicles, it's kinda hard to roll down (or as you state "open") the rear window which is what most officers see and are hoping to see through before approaching the side of a car where there may or may not be a rolled down window.... but hey what do I know.

Administrator
    I drive a heavily tinted car around every night. Its hard to see out of those windows at night. Thats why its illegal in a lot of areas.

Thats enough of that. Back on topic.
    Old School likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ncsu08ms3 View Post
    It is for the protection of law enforcement officers who have to approach vehicles during traffic stops, when the tint is below 33% it is very difficult to see what is going on inside the car and therefore when LEO approaches he doesn't know what / who he's approaching which could be a very dangerous situation for him/her. I for one would prefer a calm un-nervous LEO with a gun approaching my car rather then one on edge because he's unaware of what he's coming up on to. If that means I have to stick to a tint light enough to allow for plenty of UV protection rather then something darker which really isn't necessary (in some sub-tropical states darker may be required due to a more intense exposure to the sun, such as FL or CA but I think their tint laws are also much more loose)
    Yes, I was fully aware of everything you say. I happen to disagree, in principle.

I think we'd be better of hanging people who assault/kill cops (or anybody) instead of continually chopping off pieces of our freedom, here and there, in the name of officer safety. I don't see 'officer safety' listed among Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Liberty, on the other hand, can be defined as "The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life." Nitpicking window tint is oppressive, in my opinion.

BTW, officers should never let their guard down, whether they're approaching a convertible or a panel van. Every traffic stop is a potentially dangerous encounter.
    pica likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I drive a heavily tinted car around every night. Its hard to see out of those windows at night. Thats why its illegal in a lot of areas.

Thats enough of that. Back on topic.
    Oooooops. I was in editing, lol. I only commented because the OP seemed to be pretty well answered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links