I have questions on CT concealed carry permit for military

This is a discussion on I have questions on CT concealed carry permit for military within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if it makes a difference if I'm in the military for getting a concealed permit? I know my friend got his in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: I have questions on CT concealed carry permit for military

Does anyone know if it makes a difference if I'm in the military for getting a concealed permit? I know my friend got his in florida completely through the mail... he says its because he has a security clearance and a pistol qualification which I also have. Information on this would be great

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being in the military puts one in a unusual situation as far as residency priviliges, and the Soldiers and Sailors Act applies in many issues with licenses. In most cases, military non-resident members are treated as residents of the state in which they are stationed, allowed to have DL, hunting/fishing licenses, etc.). Most states honor the member's out of state DLs or will issue one. You can have residency in your "home-of-record" state or the state in which you are stationed, but not a third one.

Questions:
    What is your "home of record"?
    Do you maintain a DL from that state or do you have a CT DL?
    If you have a DL from your HoR state, does that state issue CC permits, and if so, does CT honor it? If so, you could apply in your home state and be honored in CT. If not, you need to check with the issuing agency in CT and see if they issue to military non-residents stationed in CT. You may also be eligible for a CT non- resident CC permit if such exists.

The security clearance is a non-issue; the firearms qualification is often accepted as proof of training and proficiency.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

my Hor is ct and I do have a drivers license. Im stationed in north carolina and wondered if I could do a through the mail to get one.

VIP Member
    You'd need to check with CT to see if they do permits through the mail. Some states do, some don't. As to your friend, his security clearance had nothing to do with getting his permit.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why not get a NC CHP? That will be far more valuable to you since you have to go through the course that discusses the North Carolina laws governing the use of deadly force along with the laws regulating concealed carry in the state.

Don't forget that you won't be able to carry in NC with a CT permit, NC doesn't recognize CT and vice versa.

I got mine in CT while stationed as a submariner in groton and ct did not care. I had to take the full course and shoot, despite having qualified m9 every yeqr expert.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You'd need to check with CT to see if they do permits through the mail. Some states do, some don't. As to your friend, his security clearance had nothing to do with getting his permit.
    Exactly correct here. Your friend is WHOLLY INCORRECT on this point.

You need to see what CT laws are on non-resident permits. IIRC, you need a permit from your current state...If your HOR is CT, you might still need to go through the CT resident process...Which I understand is not very straighforward. (speaking as a former CT resident)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If Connecticut is your home of record, then you can get a Connecticut resident permit. It's a bit tricky, though, in that residents are expected to apply in person -- and you're stationed out of state. Non-residents can apply entirely by mail, and must already have another permit (not necessarily a home-state permit.) I'd call the firearms unit at the State Police and ask. My experience with them has been very good.

VIP Member
    Dept of Safety. Middletown CT. (State Police). 860-685-8441. Give them a call.

Links