Last minute travling advice (first time taking firearm on trip)

This is a discussion on Last minute travling advice (first time taking firearm on trip) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leaving for a short drive to Dallas via KY,TN,AR then TX and then a next day return, just going to pick up my kids. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last minute travling advice (first time taking firearm on trip)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Leaving for a short drive to Dallas via KY,TN,AR then TX and then a next day return, just going to pick up my kids. I plan on taking the Glock 19 with 16 rounds in the gun (15 plus 1) and a reload. I have read Handgunlaw.us and will read it again before leaving.

Any advice from those that have traveled before or anyone that may have experience in these states?

In order not to have to memorize the notification laws, if stopped for any purpose or any other law enforcement encounter I will just volunteer it, not that it is required in some places, but better safe than sorry (and its the law where I am at so its something I am use to having to remember).

Note: I have a PA permit to cover TX.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

KY is very easy. I haven't traveled in AR, TN, or TX. I have traveled in OH, WV, KS, UT, NM, and now NV (to get my CCW). I haven't been pulled over in any state. I did go through a DUI check point in KY and they didn't ask any questions except may I see you DL and have you been drinking? Don't speed and life is a lot less trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    \ Don't speed and life is a lot less trouble.

Im normally a 5-10mph over kinda guy, but this is coming the holiday weekend, I maybe a couple over but that would be it, using cruise at that.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Be cool and you'll be fine. Obey traffic laws, be polite to everyone. I'd give this advice whether someone is packing heat or not -- it's just good form to be polite and obey the law. You would be well advised to familiarize yourself with the state laws you're traveling through (you might even keep printouts of the appropriate pages to keep on hand).

Be armed at rest stops, convenience stores, hotels, fast-food joints and restaurants along the way. Be discrete, stay aware and enjoy the trip with the kids. If stopped, tell the po-po you have an Ohio CCW and ask what they would like you to do.

Seriously, most cops are fine with CCW; they just like to know.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Make sure you understate which states require you to notify LE that you are carrying a concealed handgun when stopped and which don't if you choose not to when not required.

Print the handgunlaw.us files for each state and keep them with you. Skim over for each state as you cover it.

Obviously, be aware of the state laws in which you travel. That said, I always take an extra gun of the same caliber and a few extra boxes of ammo...one never knows what's ahead.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the tips. Leaving tonight between 2 and 4 am.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Leaving for a short drive to Dallas via KY,TN,AR then TX and then a next day return, just going to pick up my kids. I plan on taking the Glock 19 with 16 rounds in the gun (15 plus 1) and a reload. I have read Handgunlaw.us and will read it again before leaving.

Any advice from those that have traveled before or anyone that may have experience in these states?

In order not to have to memorize the notification laws, if stopped for any purpose or any other law enforcement encounter I will just volunteer it, not that it is required in some places, but better safe than sorry (and its the law where I am at so its something I am use to having to remember).

Note: I have a PA permit to cover TX.
    Why not print out a copy of the laws of the respective states you're visiting?

When I take trips out of state, I print out a copy of the states laws from handgunlaw.us (plus reciprocity agreements from the states' webpages) and put them in a 5" x 8" (half-sheet) binder. Before I cross state lines, I review the high-points...like, am I required to inform, etc.

I recommend not volunteering information you don't have to....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I travel that path from time to time (minus KY) NC to Texas. I have only been pulled once for a headlight that went out. I usually travel with the flow of traffic up to 10 over but that my limit. I handed my ccw with my DL and had zero issues.

The attorney who presented at our licensing class suggested that no matter where you are, always hand over your concealed carry license with your drivers license. His way of thinking (and I agree), it's a matter of courtesy to the officer.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    The attorney who presented at our licensing class suggested that no matter where you are, always hand over your concealed carry license with your drivers license. His way of thinking (and I agree), it's a matter of courtesy to the officer.
    I agree with that way of thinking.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

KY is easy as it comes. I'm leaving tomorrow for SD and have printed all states laws, just because the laws get confusing when you're traveling through so many states, and I want to be armed all the time its legal. I'll review high points before entering any state, just to be sure.

I plan to always hand over my CCW with my DL, and I keep my insurance card with them both. That way if my gun (or more likely BUG) is in the glove compartment I don't have to explain to the officer why I can't get him my insurance info right now. I figure politely letting the officer know is a good idea, and it hopefully suggests to him or her that I am a law abiding, safety conscious individual. Dunno how it works though, I've only been pulled over once by a guy wanting to check veterinary papers on a horse I was hauling in Wyoming, and that was before I got my CCW license.

I too agree. I'm wanting as least amount of issues as possible and I feel that puts most at ease.

Less than 8 hours to go for the super long drive.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I did not print anything out, using a smartphone I have them download plus can pull them up on the fly.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I did not print anything out, using a smartphone I have them download plus can pull them up on the fly.

To add, my way of staying green.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links