Got Made the Other Day

Got Made the Other Day

This is a discussion on Got Made the Other Day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened in PA while I was there for the Area 8 USPSA Championship. I was carrying my S&W 640 in a Uncle Mikes pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got Made the Other Day

This happened in PA while I was there for the Area 8 USPSA Championship.

I was carrying my S&W 640 in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster. On my weak side, I had a Bianchi Speed Strip in my pocket.

The problem was that I had a Galco 2x2x2 cartridge holder on my belt. When it is snapped, most people wouldn't realize what it is; at least that has been my theory.

The lady checking us in at the hotel was cuttin' up with us when suddenly she reached up and unsnapped the holder revealing my six rounds of Speer Gold Dot 38 Special +p.

Her eyes got big and she said, "OH, you have a gun". My only good move is that I didn't get freaked out and I calmly said, "Don't worry, I'm one of the good guys".

That seemed to satisfy her but I was bummed that my situational awareness was lax enough that she could get her hand on the cartridge holder before I could stop her. Just goes to show that you should never be lax when out and about.

It was probably a dumb idea to use the Galco since I was carrying concealed and the Galco technically wasn't but it has never been a problem before. This is the first time anyone has shown any curiosity about the Galco at all.

I will probably discontinue using the Galco unless I am carrying openly (due to our restaurant rules here in Virginia).

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Remaining calm helped, and your verbal response was right on target. I'll have to remember that line.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Assistant Administrator
    Sharp lady - not the average sheep probably who would imagine some sorta cell holder!!

No real biggie by sound of it and response was good Goes to show tho that in effect - the ''real deal'' with CCW is concealment of not only gun but reloads etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I would have smacked her hand with a ruler! what in the heck is anyone doing touching another persons personal items anyway?

You did good, but that should have never happened in the first place, I would have also have given her a verbel toung lashing.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    On reflection further - yeah - she had a nerve to do that!!!

Seeing as she recognized what it was I am guessing she has a CCW or a boyfriend/hubby who does
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    "OH, you have a gun". No, my rabbit's foot is on the fritz and I thought that I'd have to "bite the bullet" untill I can get it fixed........Here's your sign

I went to the salon to get a haircut, the lady said will you take off your outer shirt to keep hair off, I told her yes but not to panic there was a gun underneath, she said no big deal we see them all the time.

Handed the gun and holster to my wife and got a haircut then put it back on, they said come back and see us

Very assumming on her part to reach up and unsnap your gear.. Your reply was right on! You could have been infurring that you were a LEO of some sort.. (not saying you intended it that way though) By acting like it's an everday thing (packing) you may have put her at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    Her eyes got big and she said, "OH, you have a gun". My only good move is that I didn't get freaked out and I calmly said, "Don't worry, I'm one of the good guys".
    Friend, I think you handled that extremely well ... "good guys" could be construed that you were an LEO ... but you didn't say it, and you can't help what she thought.

Further, any admonishment at all could well have escalated the discussion and that's certainly something you did NOT want. True, she definitely deserved it .. but there's a time and place for everything, and a public location isn't the place to be having that discussion, IMHO. My 2 cents .. well done.

cray

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Seeing as she recognized what it was I am guessing she has a CCW or a boyfriend/hubby who does
    Good catch Chris; folks tend to be sensitive to things they are familiar with ... wonder if she was packing

VIP Member
    Yeah, that's a great responce. I'll have to remember that one myself!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For some reason, the way the question is usually presented to me is "are you a cop or something?".

My answer is almost always "Or something.", and I leave it at that.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You did good in your response, but she was way outta line.

Probably shouldn't have had the Galco out in the open like that, but you didn't make it worse by biting her head off.

I might just have grabbed her somewhere without her permission to make my point........

VIP Member
    wow, the nerve!
    I think my defensive reaction would have bent her prying fingers back into her collar bone and/or broken her wrist in the process
    I take offense to anyone getting in my personal space and that definitely meets the definition

only my wife unsnaps anything on me
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Thanks for the nice comments.

I agree that she was definitely out of line but the thing that bothered me most is that she unsnapped the holder and was staring at my ammo before I even realized what she was doing.

Actually, it was a good wake up call. After all, concealed is concealed and the Galco definitely didn't fit in to that equation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links