Another Pocket Gun Fail, ND in Restaurant

This is a discussion on Another Pocket Gun Fail, ND in Restaurant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is it that some people just don't believe that a holster is really a good idea? Manís Gun Accidentally Discharges In Restaurant - News ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Another Pocket Gun Fail, ND in Restaurant

Another Pocket Gun Fail, ND in Restaurant

Why is it that some people just don't believe that a holster is really a good idea?

Manís Gun Accidentally Discharges In Restaurant - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Not only did this guy give the Brady Bunch more to talk about, he injured innocent parties.

This is a bucket of fail.

2. Remove Ads

I saw this on the local news. Without all the info it sure sounds like it could be a pocket, no holster situation. Otherwise I have a hard time figuring out how he did it.

VIP Member
    Idiot. There is never, ever, ever, EVER an excuse for something like this. Take his permit, forever, and smack with a nice big fine so he can remember his stupidity when he can't afford to eat out for a couple of months.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I saw this on the local news. Without all the info it sure sounds like it could be a pocket, no holster situation. Otherwise I have a hard time figuring out how he did it.
    From the link

"The gun owner had a concealed weapons permit, but the gun was in his pants with no holster, when it went off, police said. The bullet went down his leg and hit the floor. The man suffered powder burns and abrasions to his legs"

Playin pocket pool and he sunk the eight ball by accident.

VIP Member
    Without more info it sounds like a no holster/junk in the pocket sitiuation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    From the link

"The gun owner had a concealed weapons permit, but the gun was in his pants with no holster, when it went off, police said. The bullet went down his leg and hit the floor. The man suffered powder burns and abrasions to his legs"

Playin pocket pool and he sunk the eight ball by accident.
    Too bad he didn't break the "cue" and thereby removing his genes from the pool...
    Stubborn, jmlampert23 and chefjon like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

What does a pocket holster cost? This was not a equipment malfunction, this is pure negligence. I hope he is charged.
    brylow and tkruf like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    that his judgment is in question is not in doubt. that it has become a common occurrence reflects the current trend towards people taking their self-defense seriously enough to get a permit but seemingly thinking that training is optional.
    3 similar events in my area in the past year: a off duty cop; a off duty judicial officer and a civilian. guess which on was arrested, lost his permit and is being proscuted... just saying what is.
    the comment that his gun was 'grabbed' by employees begs the question of their capability's of safely disarming someone. perhaps the reporter's use of the word 'grabbed'
    goes beyond the actual actions of the employee.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    What does a pocket holster cost?
    Much less than his legal and medical expenses will be.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Stupidity.

He needs to loose his cc permit and his guns!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    He needs to loose his cc permit and his guns!
    I doubt denying the man his second amendment rights and taking his permit is appropriate, however I would like to see the judge sentence him to take basic and advanced nra safety classes and then do a case reassessment after he provides instructor feedback on the classes as far as his attitude and aptitude.. Taking away his rights is a little harsh...... what should really be happening is firearm safety classes in every public school to avoid this "new to firearms and ignorant" ideology we have in this country.

Well, I have to chime in here with some thoughts. This is the primary reason why, thus far, I have never carried a round in the chamber. I realize that in an emergency situation it is probably better to have a round chambered, but I always have to weigh the chances of an accident vs. the chances that I'll need my gun and have no time to chamber a round.

Granted, I always use a holster and it would be very difficult for the trigger to be pulled while wearing it. However, I've heard of situations even with holsters where the gun has fallen out and landed on the floor. Some guns might discharge in a situation like that (although I'm pretty sure my Glock would not). Also some people might attempt to catch the gun and accidentally pull the trigger. I knew a friend in highschool who was cleaning a Ruger 9mm and forgot to check the chamber. He dropped the gun off of the table and attempted to catch it. In so doing, he shot a hole through his leg, shattering the bone.

I'd venture to say, unless this was a revolver, I bet the guy could have prevented this accident by not keeping a round chambered.

I have carried a round in the chamber for over 20 years and NEVER had an AD or ND, EVER ..... and carried almost every day for either my job or personal protection which means I handled the weapon in an out of a pocket holster or a body holster almost every day for the past 20 years. Even the "scary" condition 1 1911. I think your fear and thoughts are misguided and simple awareness, respect, and training keeping your finger off the trigger and protecting the trigger when it is in your pocket or on your person is how this guy could have prevented an accident. Nothing more, nothing less.
    brylow, OPFOR, First Sgt and 6 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I doubt denying the man his second amendment rights and taking his permit is appropriate, however I would like to see the judge sentence him to take basic and advanced nra safety classes and then do a case reassessment after he provides instructor feedback on the classes as far as his attitude and aptitude.. Taking away his rights is a little harsh...... what should really be happening is firearm safety classes in every public school to avoid this "new to firearms and ignorant" ideology we have in this country.
    I appreciate your tenacity in defending the 2A. However, sometimes you can educate the "new to firearms and igorant", but you can't necessarly educate the "stupid and always will be". Another thought I've had as an alternative to stripping someone (who's demonstrated similar extreme incompetance) of their rights, is to simply prohibit them from being licensed carriers. They can still own firearms and protect themselves in their homes, but are no longer able to legally put others in harms way when in public. Maybe mandatory idiot-training on the first go-round, and then mandating that they keep their stuff at home where they can just shoot themselves.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links