Gym delema....

This is a discussion on Gym delema.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so where I live the No Gun signs don't carry the weight of the law. They can ask you to leave and if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym delema....

Gym delema....

Ok, so where I live the No Gun signs don't carry the weight of the law. They can ask you to leave and if you don't its trespass, but aside from that there are no repercussions for being "caught" with a gun in those places. (This is for private businesses, not government or schools...).

We recently joined a gym that is "no gun" posted. Normally I would smile and go on my merry way at said business, but at a gym its a little tricky. I would be changing clothes, and so in all likelihood my handgun would be exposed at some point. They have family changing areas that are private rooms, but you're only allowed to use those if you actually have your kids with you.

What would you do? Leave it at home? In the car? (Not really comfortable with that....but it's an option.) Try to be discreet as possible and lock it in the lockers?

I do Pilates and yoga so actually leaving the gun on me isn't really an option, it would be uncomfortable as hell.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    We secure ours in the vehicle. Get a good car safe, get some alternate defensive tools, OC on the key chain etc. Gym lockers get broken into more often than cars in gym parking lots.

VIP Member
    For many years, every birthday, fathers day and Christmas present was a piece of commercial-grade gym equipment.

My basement makes Gold's gym look like a day-care.

keep it in your gym bag. I believe in always having firearm as near as possible, take it off in the car put it in gym bag or keep it in locker or at the back of the class atleast you can keep an eye on it

Our Gym has no such postings and in fact offers discounts to LEOs who often carry into the gym. I tend to put mine in my bag while in the car and then lock it in the gym locker. It's not that I'm afraid of a reaction to the pistol, I just don't want to advertise the fact that this would be a good locker to break into.

At the gym I carry one of my smaller framed handguns in a fanny pack and make sure it remains within arm's length and in my sight at all times.

I would strongly caution against leaving a firearm in a car or locker, since thefts from both are common around gyms.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Aren't there any gyms in your area that are not anti-gun? I know I hate to spend my "hard-earned" money at anti-gun establishments. In fact 99% of the time when I see a no guns sign I just keep on going and look for another such business that is gun friendly. Just saying...
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you do use a locker, get a hardened lock. Don't count on one of those cheap combination locks to stop a thief.
    A good rap with another lock in the right spot that they will pop open like a cheap whore.
    Use a keyed lock that will barely go through the hole in the door latch.
    I've found some hardened locks that only a cutting torch or grinder will cut.
    It laughs at bolt cutters. And I don't ever recall a cutting torch in my gym before.
    The key I lace under my shoe laces when I put on my shoes.

My gym bag has a zippered flat compartment pocket on the side that I put my handgun in as I'm exiting my pickup.
    This way I can draw it in the parking lot going or coming, and it never draw attention inside the gym.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Aside from the car safe option given previously, I was thinking a product like this might allow you to take your weapon in your gym bag...if you can keep it around you - Active Security - Personal Security Devices and Alarms

The Bag Protector Alert might be the way to go.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I addressed this like so:
    - first, get a hardened lock to lessen the chance someone could casually break into your locker;
    - second, walk into the locker room and go directly to one of the stalls, in the stall take your gun/holster off and put into your gym bag, then go change.
    After workout, get dressed, go back to stall and re-arm.

Aren't there any gyms in your area that are not anti-gun? I know I hate to spend my "hard-earned" money at anti-gun establishments. In fact 99% of the time when I see a no guns sign I just keep on going and look for another such business that is gun friendly. Just saying...
    Normally I would agree with you....but since Iowa has become "Shall Issue" there are signs EVERYWHERE. I would have to drive way out of my way for everything if I chose to skip to a place that allowed weapons. Thanks for the suggestions all, I've got some heavy duty locks from when we had storage from moving, I'll see if any of those fit the gym lockers. If not I'll probably get a small gym bag for the essentials (you know, towel, water....gun....) that I can keep in the room near me when I work out. And maybe I'll just use the family changing area anyway with the excuse of "I'm overly sensitive about my modesty..." I figure if they want my money they have to put up with at least that.

Since you have decided to go against their wishes of no guns because the signs have no weight of law, why not go ahead and use the family dressing rooms also since I doubt if their wishes carry the weight of law in regards to those also?

In for a penny, in for a pound.

TVJ
    fanny pack: or

get small bag to take into yoga/pilates room; put gun in small combination locking lockbox inside regular athletic bag. Put bag in front corner of the room away from the door.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Since you have decided to go against their wishes of no guns because the signs have no weight of law, why not go ahead and use the family dressing rooms also since I doubt if their wishes carry the weight of law in regards to those also?

In for a penny, in for a pound.
    That's what I intend to do.....call me an ass...but just because THEY are uncomfortable with weapons doesn't mean I should be defenseless.

The likelihood of me needing a weapon at the gym...pretty much nil....but I'll be damned if I'm caught without it when I REALLY need it.

I suppose I was just asking what others would do for keeping the weapon secure and on the off chance that someone raised a stink that I was using the family changing area and they asked me not to do that anymore.

I live in West Michigan, near Holland. I have yet to see a sign posted on an any establishment labeling it gun free. We're lucky around here I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links