Trip to Florida Experiences (Part 1 - Trip To Tampa)

This is a discussion on Trip to Florida Experiences (Part 1 - Trip To Tampa) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I've decided to fly with my side-arm on my trip to Tampa, Florida, with my wife. It makes sense, as I have my Florida ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Trip to Florida Experiences (Part 1 - Trip To Tampa)

  1. #1
    Member Array ecrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    168

    Trip to Florida Experiences (Part 1 - Trip To Tampa)

    So, I've decided to fly with my side-arm on my trip to Tampa, Florida, with my wife. It makes sense, as I have my Florida carry permit. I'd like to offer some insight, not necessarily on Florida itself, but on carry and travel, in general.

    I've 'reserved' a couple posts, below, to continue my experiences, and to keep things in order.

    Flight from MSP
    This being the first time I've flown with a firearm, I was a bit apprehensive as to the procedure and what I should expect. While I'm a confident gentleman and carry myself as such, I'm also used to other folks not always being so easy-going.

    The agent, upon my informing her I had a firearm to declare, pulled out the orange tag and informed me my firearm needed to be unloaded. I signed and dated the card and placed it outside, but on top of my pistol case, inside my soft-sided duffle bag. She then asked me to tag my bag to the luggage screening station, about 20 yards away.

    Moving to the screening station, I informed the TSA agent I had a declared firearm. He laughed and said he wasn't going to inform the agent(s) behind the wall. Shortly after my bag went through, I heard a call 'to detain, firearm present' and the agent I was dealing with laughed into the radio and told the other end he knew and was just messing with them. It was 5am, so I suppose a wake-up was needed.

    Arriving in Tampa, my bags arrived on-time, with my plane (connection in Denver, be damned!). Upon inspection, the lock on my duffle, which in an American Lock padlock, was not tampered with. There was no indication of tagging my bag as containing a firearm. My holsters, which were in an unlocked compartment of my duffle, arrived intact, as well.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array ecrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    168

    Trip to Florida Experiences (Part 2 - Time In Tampa)

    Reserved for time in tampa post
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

  4. #3
    Member Array ecrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    168

    Trip to Florida Experiences (Part 3 - Trip To Minneapolis)

    Reserved for description of trip to minneapolis
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

  5. #4
    Ex Member Array apvbguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
    Reserved for description of trip to minneapolis
    was the gun tag placed on the outside of the baggage? if so that is wrong, there should be no open indication of a firearm in the baggage

  6. #5
    Member Array Mjodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    80
    Enjoy your stay. Watch for armadillos as you drive. :)

    I'm doing the opposite.. in mid-June I am taking a train up north. Well, up north and west. I'm going on my first familiarity visit to Montana before my eventual move.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

  7. #6
    Member Array ecrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    was the gun tag placed on the outside of the baggage? if so that is wrong, there should be no open indication of a firearm in the baggage
    No, on top of the hard-sided case, both within my soft-sided duffle bag.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just far enough outside Orlando
    Posts
    694
    I just got back from a trip to Florida as well. I drove however.

    The one thing that bothered me about carrying in Florida is the fact that it is a concealed carry ONLY state. I don't OC very often in TN but I really appreciate having the freedom to do so.

    I found myself having a very hard time keeping my gun from becoming exposed. It is so hot in Florida I really don't know how everyone is able to stay concealed. I had to be extremely careful when loading luggage in my car, getting up from chairs in restaurants, reaching for items on the shelf at Publix etc etc.
    I carried my G26 the entire week because there was no way I could have kept my G19 concealed enough to keep my mind at ease. I was constantly worried about having my gun become exposed.

    Regardless of how anyone might feel about open carry, I think most will agree that it is nice to have the freedom to do so. It is ridiculous that law abiding CCW holders in Florida are suddenly criminals if their gun becomes exposed.

    I was in a more rural part of Florida for most of my trip and I would have loved to been able to open carry because it was so freaking hot. However I did not have that option. Sorry to hijack the thread, just thought I would share my thoughts about carrying in Florida.

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,675
    Reserving posts is going to prove difficult after the 24-hour period...I think you will just be adding an additional post to this thread...we'll see.
    Please enjoy your trip to our state...spend lots of money, we need it.

    Stay alert...stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  10. #9
    Ex Member Array apvbguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I just got back from a trip to Florida as well. I drove however.

    The one thing that bothered me about carrying in Florida is the fact that it is a concealed carry ONLY state. I don't OC very often in TN but I really appreciate having the freedom to do so.

    I found myself having a very hard time keeping my gun from becoming exposed. It is so hot in Florida I really don't know how everyone is able to stay concealed. I had to be extremely careful when loading luggage in my car, getting up from chairs in restaurants, reaching for items on the shelf at Publix etc etc.
    I carried my G26 the entire week because there was no way I could have kept my G19 concealed enough to keep my mind at ease. I was constantly worried about having my gun become exposed.

    Regardless of how anyone might feel about open carry, I think most will agree that it is nice to have the freedom to do so. It is ridiculous that law abiding CCW holders in Florida are suddenly criminals if their gun becomes exposed.

    I was in a more rural part of Florida for most of my trip and I would have loved to been able to open carry because it was so freaking hot. However I did not have that option. Sorry to hijack the thread, just thought I would share my thoughts about carrying in Florida.
    I don't know why you have so much trouble concealing a g26, my g27 almost disappears when I carry it IWB, I usually carry a g21sf full sized gun IWB and never have any problems you mentioned.
    Maybe you need to upgrade your carry rig, getting a good holster and strong belt might change things for you.

  11. #10
    Member Array The Dark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I don't know why you have so much trouble concealing a g26, my g27 almost disappears when I carry it IWB, I usually carry a g21sf full sized gun IWB and never have any problems you mentioned.
    Maybe you need to upgrade your carry rig, getting a good holster and strong belt might change things for you.
    Second this...perhaps those of us who live here in this climate are simply forced to become better at concealing. I carry my G26 everywhere and have never had an issue keeping it concealed. We can also hope that shortly, should our errant governor finally get around to it, the law will decriminalize brief non-malicious display.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

  12. #11
    Member Array Mjodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I don't know why you have so much trouble concealing a g26, my g27 almost disappears when I carry it IWB, I usually carry a g21sf full sized gun IWB and never have any problems you mentioned.
    Maybe you need to upgrade your carry rig, getting a good holster and strong belt might change things for you.
    You're used to the sauna. Someone that isn't probably over-compensates in how they dress.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just far enough outside Orlando
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I don't know why you have so much trouble concealing a g26, my g27 almost disappears when I carry it IWB, I usually carry a g21sf full sized gun IWB and never have any problems you mentioned.
    Maybe you need to upgrade your carry rig, getting a good holster and strong belt might change things for you.
    Let me elaborate on my first post a little bit. When I'm carrying here in TN I don't ever worry at all about how concealed I am. In the winter it is very easy here and in the summer it is not as easy but I still don't have to worry if my gun becomes exposed because we are a open carry state.
    The point I was trying to make is that I appreciate having the freedom to OC if I choose to, but more importantly I appreciate the fact that if I bend over to pick something up and my gun becomes exposed I am NOT suddenly a criminal. In Florida if that happens and the wrong person sees it I could be in trouble.

    And as hot as it is in FL it would be nice to strap on a good OWB rig and not have to worry about concealment. My holster and belt are fine so no worries there.

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array apvbguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Let me elaborate on my first post a little bit. When I'm carrying here in TN I don't ever worry at all about how concealed I am. In the winter it is very easy here and in the summer it is not as easy but I still don't have to worry if my gun becomes exposed because we are a open carry state.
    The point I was trying to make is that I appreciate having the freedom to OC if I choose to, but more importantly I appreciate the fact that if I bend over to pick something up and my gun becomes exposed I am NOT suddenly a criminal. In Florida if that happens and the wrong person sees it I could be in trouble.

    And as hot as it is in FL it would be nice to strap on a good OWB rig and not have to worry about concealment. My holster and belt are fine so no worries there.
    that's not true, an inadvertent display really isn't an issue and soon as soon as the law is signed by the gov. it will be a total non issue. as always discrete carry will generate less attention regardless of where you are and OC laws.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just far enough outside Orlando
    Posts
    694
    you're missing the point and have made me sorry I even said anything.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

experience of florida trip
,
florida experiences
,
how to conceal a g 26
,
isoroku yamamoto find a way other than war
,
my trip to florida discussion
,
my trip to tampa florida
,
our trip to tampa
,

pt one...holster stores in tampa

,
rigs holsters florida
,
tampa ccw
,
what if my concealed weaponbecomes exposed
Click on a term to search for related topics.