OPINION PLEASE: New CCW Holster Option

This is a discussion on OPINION PLEASE: New CCW Holster Option within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a practical application question for all of you really smart folks out there... The Premise: Someone creates a drop-leg-type 'holster' (like a Blackhawk, ...

Thread: OPINION PLEASE: New CCW Holster Option

Question OPINION PLEASE: New CCW Holster Option

I have a practical application question for all of you really smart folks out there...

The Premise:
    Someone creates a drop-leg-type 'holster' (like a Blackhawk, perhaps) that consists of nothing more that a standard Tactical Drop Leg carry rig PLUS adds a Top Flap that completely covers/hides the grip of the weapon. NOTHING is seen from any angle, but the outline of the holster is as it is... PLUS a quik-disconnect, secure buckle to keep the flap shut...

Get the picture? OK... NOW the Questions...

1) Would this not meet the letter of the law in as far as 'concealed' is concerned?

2) What is the difference in this carry rig - as compared to a fanny-pack - other than the ouline or shape of the rig itself?

3) What is the difference in this and a Belt Pack - again, other than the shape?

4) Would this not be Very Close to, say a Maxpedition Thermite Versipack?

I am thinking of a CONCEALED IN PLAIN SIGHT kind of carry rig...

Has someone already DONE THIS?

Your thoughts please... and Thank you!!!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Well, it probably meets the "letter of the law", but I don't think it's very practical. It would be great to draw from, and probably pretty comfortable. but the simple fact is that everybody would know what it was. Even a belt/fanny pack fools most people. And just because it meets the "letter of the law" doesn't mean it's not going to buy you a hassle.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I don't think it even meets the letter of law,

Concealed handgun--A handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

What you are describing would be discernible to a reasonable person.

Why would you want to do this anyway??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Administrator
    I would have to see a working prototype in order to give an honest answer.
    But, an obvious visible "drop leg holster" w/ just the firearm covered with a flap would probably not fit the legal definition of concealed.

Possibly a drop leg holster where the entire holster and firearm was hidden behind a really large Velcro quick release flap would cut it but, then you would have to wear "special pants" every day that you carried your firearm.

Nice to see that folks are still thinking creatively and outside the box though.

I do applaud you for the creative thinking.
    It does seem like it'd be comfortable. i got used to a drop tactical holster and wore one for years at the range but never conceived of it having any concealed use what-so-ever.

I'd be willing to bet that with a "working" prototype you could 'blend' and smooth-out lines and bulges to create a long belt "pouch" that might not scream "gun".
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    States have their own definitions of concealed vs. open carry. I've read (I don't recall where) that open carry can be considered "all or part of the weapon or holster is visible."
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    Well, it probably meets the "letter of the law", but I don't think it's very practical. It would be great to draw from, and probably pretty comfortable. but the simple fact is that everybody would know what it was. Even a belt/fanny pack fools most people. And just because it meets the "letter of the law" doesn't mean it's not going to buy you a hassle.
    Yes - the reason behind the design is for Ease of Carry, Comfort, Quick Presentation.

So you reservation comes simply from the shape/outline?
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    Why would you want to do this anyway??
    Couple of reasons...

The MAIN reason behind the design is for Ease of Carry, Comfort and a Quick Presentation.

So you reservation comes simply from the shape/outline?
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I would have to see a working prototype in order to give an honest answer.
    But, an obvious visible "drop leg holster" w/ just the firearm covered with a flap would probably not fit the legal definition of concealed.

Possibly a drop leg holster where the entire holster and firearm was hidden behind a really large Velcro quick release flap would cut it but, then you would have to wear "special pants" every day that you carried your firearm.

Nice to see that folks are still thinking creatively and outside the box though.
    As I (read IMO) read the Texas statute it says ANY PART OF THE WEAPON... so Yes, that 'restriction' is covered...

If the shape itself screaming GUN is the issue, then Perhaps a more generic outline would be better?

A Nicely stiffened yet lightweight, trim (as in NOT BULKY) cordura 'envelope with a locking flap' perhaps?

The Beauty of the drop leg - IMO - is that no special anything is needed other than a belt... Most wear one on a daily basis... an Instructor or Web belt would suffice at times when needed...

And it is CONCEALED without the hassle of concealing with clothes, etc...

It is as Simple as a Fanny-pack without the 'stigma' (no flaming here please - I wear one too) of a Fanny pack...

IOW - a Manny Pack of sorts...???
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Certainly not a drop leg type, but if your goal is to wear outside clothing without it being a fanny pack, how about this type of a belt carrying case:

http://www.desantisholster.com/r72.html

There are several different sizes, this happens to be the largest one. I have one for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Paddle type of mounting to belt, very comfortable, and no concealed clothing to hassle with. Some folks even fasten a set of ultra light earphones to the outside so it really does look like an i-pod or portable CD player case.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    Certainly not a drop leg type, but if your goal is to wear outside clothing without it being a fanny pack, how about this type of a belt carrying case:

http://www.desantisholster.com/r72.html
    Thanks Dave - that is Kind Of the idea...

I personally thing that the drop leg systems is a bit more functional and easier to use, as you do not have the need to remove your belt and it puts the 'holster' at a more natural deployment height, IMO...

Plus, the design i have in mind is a bit less FannyPackish in its appearance...

More Backpackerish, more 'tactical' (no flames here please) if you will...

More of a Manny Pack, perhaps?
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

IMO, "concealed" implies a level of deception or misdirection and is significantly different from "covered." But certainly an area that invites good experimental thinking like this.
    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have a Belt pouch that looks like a small Bible cover and have found it to be very functional when carrying even a full size hg...
    It has the pull tab for the zipper for easy access and is actually fairly inconspicuous in that I have never noticed anyone giving it a second glance...
    I cant remember the man. right now but I'll post if it comes to mind...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Also, as a side note, my GLOCKs fit perfectly in the lower side pocket of my Carhartt pants, I have given thought to sewing a velcro retention strap and using those when in the woods and wearing a full ruck....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    States have their own definitions of concealed vs. open carry. I've read (I don't recall where) that open carry can be considered "all or part of the weapon or holster is visible."
    Would you see a Wilderness SafePacker as falling afoul of that?

(I won't use a fanny pack; I do use a safepacker from time to time).

G.

Edited to add: folks were posting while I was reading ;) The picture posted, and the other system described, both look pretty similar to the safepacker. The point about concealing that you're carrying, vice merely covering up the weapon from ordinary view, is well taken. It'd be so much easier if open carry was legal in Florida...
    Last edited by GarySlinger; July 28th, 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Links