Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered - Page 3

Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered

This is a discussion on Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 When was the last time someone shot themselves in a restaurant or in their vehicle without one in the chamber? When ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

When was the last time someone shot themselves in a restaurant or in their vehicle without one in the chamber?
    When was the last time someone shot themselves in a restaurant or in their vehicle without their finger on the trigger?

Some of us don't and won't have AD and ND's because we respect our weapons and we are thorough in our chamber checks and practice safe handling through repetition.
    MotorCityGun and JOHNSMITH like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Guys, seriously - go post in another thread on the subject, there are hundreds. Would be great if a mod could delete all irrelevant responses so we could have just ONE thread about carrying practices without one in the chamber. I don't want to debate, I want to LEARN and SHARE knowledge about carrying the way I (and others) choose to carry.

Try as you will, you are not going to convince everyone chambered is the only way - so I'll respectfully ask one last time, stop.
    mr.stuart likes this.

I think you are being a little sensitive about the responses. There have been people responding about not haveing one in the pipe and why they changed or didn't. I think the Late Boy Scout has too many motions that could have bad results. The draw should be smooth and you should not be doing all that movement. Try to read NO SECOND PLACE WINNER or watch some fast draw exibitions. Standing erect I can fire from the hip as soon as I clear the holster in one easy motion. No body movement. Are you trying to tell us that you are safer by carrying without one in the chamber? We all take risks and live by our decisions. I personally would not take my training from someone on a You Tube vidio. Good Luck
    Semper Fi
    PS Welcome aboard

Guys, seriously - go post in another thread on the subject, there are hundreds. Would be great if a mod could delete all irrelevant responses so we could have just ONE thread about carrying practices without one in the chamber. I don't want to debate, I want to LEARN and SHARE knowledge about carrying the way I (and others) choose to carry.

Try as you will, you are not going to convince everyone chambered is the only way - so I'll respectfully ask one last time, stop.

When was the last time someone shot themselves in a restaurant or in their vehicle without their finger on the trigger?

I would never tell someone how to carry their drill, chainsaw, or any other tool. I could care less if you keep a spare tire in your trunk, a fire extinguisher in your home, or have any kind of insurance...we are all responsible for ourselves and our families.
    Keep in mind, however, that in the event that you have to make a live saving decision in one or two seconds, you may need three or four...if you have your 'muscle memory' fine tuned, that it...
    Respectfully submitted, of course...
    MotorCityGun and bigdog44 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Stay tuned for unchambered.org I guess, its the only way I will be able to communicate with like minded individuals on this topic apparently.

Thanks to those who have contributed.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt

Thanks for the suggestions, some good things to consider there. I've done most of my shooting/practice so far in the winter months without gloves, so far so good - but it is MUCH nicer shooting in fair weather!

Again folks, it's not about why we carry chambered or unchambered - it's how we practice unchambered, please don't take this thread down any other path, there's enough of that garbage on all the forums already and I sincerely believe there is a big place for this discussion to be had in a positive light.

For those who carry chambered you might want to follow along since your first round may not fire - you could pick up some tips on getting one in the pipe quicker ;)

Thanks.
    I bought some cheap Chech (I think) 9mm ammo that misfires all the time, at least 5 per 50. I intentionally practiced with it so that I would learn to clear and move on, fast. I never knew when I'd have the misfire. It was good practice.

Lesson learned about getting what you paid for...and then turning that around into another learning experience.

(Altho I have carried with a round in the chamber from day one...I was told that was how the firearm was supposed to be carried, had no pre-conceived notions, so it didnt bother me.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

You can't be surprised by these replies on a forum where 99% carry chambered, many that seem to have started out like you but have realized it's just not as efficient when seconds count. This has actually been a nice calm discussion with many good points.
    MotorCityGun and bigdog44 like this.
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Thunder - I'm not trying to change you or your mind, but I would like you to try and answer the (philisophical) questions I posted earlier.

Again, to echo others on this thread, this has been a (mostly) very civil and polite response to your original post. That alone should indicate that they're worth listening to and learning from. With all due respect, quite frankly, you're the one who appears to be closed-minded.

Thunder - I'm not trying to change you or your mind, but I would like you to try and answer the (philisophical) questions I posted earlier.

Again, to echo others on this thread, this has been a (mostly) very civil and polite response to your original post. That alone should indicate that they're worth listening to and learning from. With all due respect, quite frankly, you're the one who appears to be closed-minded.

Three of your chamber/unchamber scenarios are filled with illogic:

1. "If I hear a bump in the night, I will unlock my gun from the safe and rack a round in the chamber, I won't wait for something to happen. Once it's safe I will drop the magazine and extract the round."
    a) If you hear a bump in the night, just how much time do you feel/think you will need to get armed and ready in order fetch/unlock safe/chamber a round, especially in a sleep "drunk" state of mind? (Keeping your gun locked up is a whole 'nuther, but related, thread subject for another time)
    b)"...I won't wait for something to happen" Yet you're willing to allow the BG to wait for you to get armed and ready?
    c) "Once it's safe..." So, the "coast is clear" in your estimation, and now you're going to disarm your weapon? Just how safe will that be given you're likely to be either pumped with adrenaline, or still in a sleep drunk state, or both? And how sure are you that the BG won't come back after he sees you disarm yourself?

2. "If I am in a suspicious area, I will rack a round in the chamber. Once it's safe I will drop the magazine and extract the round."
    a) "If I am in a suspicious area..." Do you think the BG(s) only commit crimes in "suspicious" areas?
    b) "Once it's safe I will drop the magazine and extract the round." I'm sure there are statistics someone else can provide related to the (number) of ND's occuring while loading/unloading a weapon.

3. "If I die because of that extra fraction of a second, I was meant to go I guess." I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after I read this. I'm sure you don't have a death wish, but if I was a skeptical person, I'd say you actually did.

Oh btw, your thread title, "Preparedness Discussion Thread for Those Who Carry Unchambered" whether you realize it or not this, to a certain degree, is an oxymoron.
    Last edited by MotorCityGun; May 28th, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

While we all try to keep an open mind about different practices, some practices are just flat out misguided. No offense intended. Carrying with an empty chamber is one of them.

That is why you'll get very few responses. Many of us carried with empty chambers when we were new. But we learned and now most of us carry with one in the chamber - no problem.

The reason why you're getting resistance is because you're asking for tips on how to carry in a fundamentally flawed way.

Although this is an extreme analogy, what you're asking is a bit like a surgeon asking other surgeons how to perform open heart surgery without following standard sterilization procedures. The patient may very well be just fine, but why risk serious infection? Modern medical science and what we know of science clearly indicates the steps we take today to ensure a clean OR and personnel to be well worth the effort.

I implore you to reconsider what you are doing. I know you believe that carrying with an empty chamber is simply a different, but equal way of doing things, but I think many of us greatly disagree with that mindset. Sorry. I'm not going to budge on this one. If you are uncomfortable carrying with one in the chamber, that is a training issue. Follow the rules, use decent holsters, use a quality pistol/revolver, and use your head. You will be fine.

No one here is saying this to spite you; we're saying this because we don't want you to end up getting killed because of a circumstance that absolutely did not need to happen and that was completely within your control.

Stay tuned for unchambered.org I guess, its the only way I will be able to communicate with like minded individuals on this topic apparently.

Thanks to those who have contributed.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt
    Let us know when you start this forum. It would be interesting to find out, over time of course, how many who carry "unchambered" evolved into "chambered" CC, AND vice versa. Also, would be interesting to find out how many subscribers you get.

"Although this is an extreme analogy, what you're asking is a bit like a surgeon asking other surgeons how to perform open heart surgery without following standard sterilization procedures. The patient may very well be just fine, but why risk serious infection?"

Sorry Paul, but I like my analogy better

"Would you accept a vehicle with a horn or other warning device (turn signal, etc) that had a half-to-one second delay?"
    JOHNSMITH likes this.

I'm not trying to convert anyone by even remotely saying 'my way is better', I would appreciate the same courtesy in return but it's unfortunate that it can't happen.

I'll let this thread die because it's doing exactly what I didn't want.

Just wanted a civil place for those of us who carry without one chambered to have a little discussion about how we practice and prepare in the event we need to draw our weapon.
    I'd like to think the good people who carry without one in the hole have thought about the consequences and made a decision based on their individual thought processes, I have and I'm comfortable with my decision.

I can appreciate everyone trying to give me scenarios where my ways are not the most ideal, however like I said - it's all been posted before and I've read it over and over again. The time spent thoughtfully typing your responses is appreciated nonetheless.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    - If you owned a pump shot gun for HD, would/do you keep the chamber empty, hoping that the sound from the racking slide is a deterrent?
    I personally keep the chamber in my pump' empty for a couple reasons- 1st: it is somewhat difficult to hit the lever to open the chamber (safety has to be off, and the switch is on the outside, front of the trigger guard). VERY easy to AD/ND. 2nd, yes, because that is a VERY intimidating sound in the dark. (That is, if you have the brass to make it past my pitt-bull)

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Also curious, if you were to carry a revolver would you carry on an empty cylinder?
    I am currently carrying my Windicator. I keep it on an empty cylinder. Possibly not the best practice, I admit. And, also, I have thought about putting number six in. I know that there is pretty much no way to make that gun fire with the hammer down, but.... Still makes me kinda 'itchy' thinking about it.

You guys either don't get it or can't read, it's not about me - it's about people who choose to carry unchambered. Thanks for all the advice, information and continued sarcasm on why YOU carry with one in the hole.

This thread is already pointless as anyone who may have had any interest in this topic won't get past the first page thinking it's yet another debate thread - which is what I did NOT want, I made that very clear, or so I thought.
    I made it past the first page!! I read everything up until the point that I posted. I can somewhat agree with not carrying one in the pipe of an auto (especially something like a Glock with no external safety). But, I do carry one in the pipe, personal choice, with my Taurus- I feel very safe with it loaded. It's DA/SA- and has almost as much weight on that first trigger pull as my Windicator's DA.

And, I carry both ways; 'none in' in my Windicator, and 'one' in with my Taurus. I don't want to be part of an argument; I'm just posting my opinions/practices.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links