Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered

This is a discussion on Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried with an empty chamber my first two time carrying. I then realized that my gun has a 10lb trigger pull, and NOTHING is ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered

I carried with an empty chamber my first two time carrying. I then realized that my gun has a 10lb trigger pull, and NOTHING is going to put 10lbs of pressure on my trigger without me knowing it. That particular gun doesn't have a safety either, which I really like. I despise manual safeties. I've actually had one flip off while carrying. Not something I enjoyed on a gun that only had a 2lb trigger pull. Give me a good hard trigger pull and I'm comfortable as can be.

2. Remove Ads

I was looking forward to reading this thread being that I also do NOT carry one in the chamber (although I've considered it). Unfortunately, despite the original poster's request, it appears people can't avoid turning this thread into a debate about it. I just want to voice my support, if you don't want to carry one in the chamber, then don't!

I feel nauseous for some reason...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thunder71, it appears that this thread has run its course. Even when you set the ground rules it is after all the great interweb and you get what ever comes along anyway. As I stated earlier, you have to consider quite a bit to be covered and if you practice you will be as prepared as you can be. Don't get slack, DO remember safety foremost and always keep an open mind on tactics and training.

I've had to do just this with a few students that could not resolve their issues with a chambered round but that's their choice. I do my best to provide the logic in a different way of carry but when it's all said and done, I'd rather see a well trained individual that works at training and has chosen to carry empty chamber than one who carries chambered and never or rarely expends the effort to practice.

Shooting is not an exact science, otherwise there would be one gun manufacturer, one model, and one kind of ammunition. The trick is to work within your boundaries and strive for the best you can.

You may want to ask a mod to lock this and save yourself the irritation.

Best of luck and keep practicing.

I just started carrying... and am very very new at firearms. Currently I don't keep one chambered. However, maybe when I have more experience, I'll change that.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Guys, seriously - go post in another thread on the subject, there are hundreds. Would be great if a mod could delete all irrelevant responses so we could have just ONE thread about carrying practices without one in the chamber. I don't want to debate, I want to LEARN and SHARE knowledge about carrying the way I (and others) choose to carry.

Try as you will, you are not going to convince everyone chambered is the only way - so I'll respectfully ask one last time, stop.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, validation perhaps for your method of carry. I don't carry with a round in the chamber. That's me, my decision, and I can live (or die) with it. There are several reasons that I do this. When I drop the magazine, I know the weapon is unloaded. Yep, I still rack the slide and check it, but I would be surprised if it ejected a round. I place a lot of faith in the hairs on the back of my neck. When those hairs stand up, I rack the slide. If somebody gets the jump one me, they've just got the jump on me. It hardly matters whether there is a round in the chamber or not. If they take me by surprise, they may shoot me with my own gun....if there is a round in the chamber. If not, while they are trying to figure out what went wrong, I just might be able to get it back...and I know how to make it work. That's my convoluted thinking.

Carry the way that makes you feel comfortable and safe.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    My apologies to the OP, Thunder71, as it seems that I may have added to the hijacking of this thread. I thought at first that it was pertinent to the discussion when I explained my progression in preparedness going from carrying unchambered to carrying chambered.

It seems my mistake was in misunderstanding part of the OP's original comment:

...If you carry with one chambered this thread isn't for you unless you have some helpful input on the topic at hand.

Thanks!
    I thought that my input on this subject might be helpful, but that seems unlikely if the OP's follow-up comments are any indication.

Mea culpa
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Bad guys get a vote.

What does that mean? It means that you do not know the time or the place were you could be attacked. You are on the BGs timeline; he's not on yours. Thus, by not having your defensive firearm ready immediately you are going to lose. Give yourself every advantage you can by not putting yourself at an unnecessary, artificial DISadvantage.

Force on force training is ideal to determine what works for you in a static environment....versus what will really happen to you when real stress is added.
    Old School likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Heres my take on it. I started carrying a single action .22 revolver with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Therefore I had to cock the hammer to get my weapon to fire for each shot. After a while I began thinking that isn't fast enough. I began carrying a DA revolver on an empty chamber hammer down. but I had 5 shots loaded in so all I had to do was pull the trigger. On older revolvers where the firing pin is mounted I still carry them this way. My rifles and shotguns will not ever have a round chambered because I do not have a holster to put them in that is safe. I feel that the danger of one of them flying out of my gun rack in a crash and receiving impact in such a way as to set them off is more likely than me being attacked, and not being able to use my sidearm to hold off danger long enough to rack a round into my long gun. My sidearm is chambered, but only because I know my trigger is protected and only if I am carrying a more modern handgun. If it is a gun with an externally mounted firing pin, gun is not chambered but has a full cylinder or mag. Op if you feel my post is too off topic, please let me know and I can mod it to fit the thread needs.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Thunder 71 - Since you decided not to answer/address some of our questions, I'm going to assume that by now you are probably too upset, frustrated and or down right PO'd. You have to admit though that the majority of the (pro-chambered) responses, have been very civil, logical and appropriate. However, one thing that you failed to admit or mention was WHY...why have you decided to carry with an empty chamber?

Since you were the OP on this topic, I think you should have the last word.

p.s. I apologize if I offended you or steered this thread in a direction you did not want it to go. Let me just say that I, for one, had the best intentions at heart, and that is for your safety and survivability if, God forbid, the S were to ever HTF for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Thunder 71 - Since you decided not to answer/address some of our questions, I'm going to assume that by now you are probably too upset, frustrated and or down right PO'd. You have to admit though that the majority of the (pro-chambered) responses, have been very civil, logical and appropriate. However, one thing that you failed to admit or mention was WHY...why have you decided to carry with an empty chamber?

p.s. I apologize if I offended you or steered this thread in a direction you did not want it to go. Let me just say that I, for one, had the best intentions at heart, and that is for your safety and survivability if, God forbid, the S were to ever HTF for you.
    Good response. Obviously, this is one of those questions akin to whether to carry open or concealed. Everybody who carries has an opinion one way or another and usually thinks their decision is the best for their individual circumstances. That's probably as it should be. Whatever your choice, practice and stay safe.

It's amazing that the OP stated in the first post about the purpose of this thread. Yet, it has gone down this same old path - with everyone giving a million reasons why we should all CC with one in the pipe.

The OP purpose for the thread was to "have a little discussion about how we practice and prepare in the event we need to draw our (unchambered) weapon."

Anyway - my practice method is to draw, rack and fire - using two hands. Additionally, I spend a good bit of time practicing racking with one hand. I will continue to utilize these practice methods and carry with an empty chamber. I realize I am sacrificing a small amount of response time, but I am ultra-concerned about ND, especially with regards to others' safety.

LOL, I think this reply is one of the very few that actually address the OP's original question.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

The OP came here *specifically* requesting a discussion on practice techniques for carrying a gun without one in the pipe. He also specifically asked people NOT to start a discussion on the merits of carrying that way. I see no reason for him to address such questions. This isnt just directed at you MCG....many here are doing this.

It may be civil, but few people have offered any techniques. If you dont have any and comment anyway, you are expressly doing what he politely requested you dont do. Negative reinforcement does not open minds.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Seems we were posting at the same time Chevy.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

If I am in a suspicious area, I will rack a round in the chamber. Once it's safe I will drop the magazine and extract the round.
    I don't think I understand how this would work.

Imagine you're out late for a walk, maybe you have your girl with you. A concerning activity occurs, perhaps a small group of young thugs with gang signs is approaching, or maybe 2 or 3 aggressive dogs.

You rack a round.

The dogs turn out to be rambunctious and friendly, the young thugs resolve to be a local church group returning home from soup kitchen duties.

Now you're standing there with a gun in your hand!

The church group is horrified and madly dialing 911. The dogs don't care, but the child and his father chasing them is also making a frantic 911 call.

Maybe no one saw. In any case, you now have a round in the chamber, what are you going to do?

Drop the magazine and eject the round on a dark street.? With people watching? With animals that like to fetch? What direction is a safe direction in an urban environment while you're doing all this manipulation of the weapon?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links