Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered - Page 5

Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered

This is a discussion on Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sure is a good thing that this thread isn't a reading skills and comprehension PASS/FAIL test to determine the right to gun ownership. There ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered

It sure is a good thing that this thread isn't a reading skills and comprehension PASS/FAIL test to determine the right to gun ownership.

There would be a bucket of unarmed gun nuts roaming around.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Since some of you weren't willing to give the OP the "last word", I guess it's alright to respond to Chevy and 9MMare. I promise this will be my last entry on this topic.

Chevy you said, ..."with everyone giving a million reasons why we should all CC with one in the pipe." I realize that a "million" is a figurative number, but a "million" pro-chamber vs. one anti-chamber is pretty convincing argument for re-considering an anti-chamber paradigm.

I interpret your "ultra conservative about ND, especially with regards to others' safety" position to mean that you don't TRUST yourself, your trigger finger, your training, your habits, your weapon, your system, or those around your weapon, or any combination thereof.

"I will continue to utilize these practice methods and carry with an empty chamber. I realize I am sacrificing a small amount of response time." Imperfect practice does not make perfection. You say "sacrifice a small amount of time", I say your sacrifice is huge". Maybe the time you spend practicing chambering a round could better be spent on those technique(s) that would make you more confident in your ability to carry with one in the chamber.

9MMare - Not sure what you meant by "negative reinforcement does not open minds", but as far as I could surmise, everyone one has been quite positive and upbeat in their responses. Your willingness to change, i.e. an open mind, should be based upon your own ability to be open-minded, NOT on any comment you perceive to be negative. The reason why few people have offered techniques to carry without one in the chamber is because it is a flawed technique to begin with based on the "million" reasons already stated.

That's it...I'm out.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'm not here to prove my point or my methods, I'm here to discuss them. Right now I'm not interested in open carry, nor do I care to discuss it. I don't feel I owe anyone a response to questions since it wasn't welcome in the first place.

For those individuals who would like to discuss unchambered carrying we can do so offline. PM me and we can figure something out.

It's obvious we can't openly discuss it without people pushing their ways, regardless.

Thank you.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt

I personally keep the chamber in my pump' empty
    I keep mine with a dummy round in it, so I rack - eject - load.

To the OP here - power to you. What matters is handling your weapons the way you see fit. Ignore all the weird and strange people who keep trying to lecture you. They will not be at your side in the event you are in a serious situation.

Anybody who wants to carry unchambered should study the many videos on YouTube showing Israeli carry. Those guys rack and load and snap one off faster than I can clear leather. To that style of training is what the unchambered carrier has to commit: A relentless focus on muscle memory and snapping that slide automatically as part of the draw.

As those who have read anything I've posted here will attest, I'm real big on intimidation. I would much prefer my BG finds something else to do instead of bothering me. I really don't want to have to deal with the aftermath of a shooting. In this, there is a benefit for those who have to rack the slide before shooting: more intimidation.

[Of course I carry chambered, but I can understand and support those who do not.]
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    As those who have read anything I've posted here will attest, I'm real big on intimidation. I would much prefer my BG finds something else to do instead of bothering me. I really don't want to have to deal with the aftermath of a shooting. In this, there is a benefit for those who have to rack the slide before shooting: more intimidation.
    That is exactly what I was going to say. I realize there are times when it might be to your disadvantage to have the BG hear you rack the slide. For example, if a crazy person comes into a restaraunt and starts killing people at random. You may be behind him and want the element of surprise to put a bullet in the back of his head. I think that case is pretty remote, though.

So in a more likely scenario. You are at the ATM at 2:00 in the morning and suddenly you are approached by thugs with baseball bats. (I think somebody on here mentioned this scenario happened to them once) In this case, if you pull out your gun and rack the slide, there will be ZERO question that you have a gun and it is a real gun not an airsoft gun or something like that. Being that it is dark, some crooks may not realize it is a gun you just removed from your waistband. But the sound of chambering a round will leave no doubt. So in this case you may have saved yourself from having to shoot somebody who didn't think you really had a gun.

I think intimidation is great too, and i hope any situation you unfortunately run into you have that much time to rack and intimidate its just my opinion but most acts of violence are fast upclose and overwhelming. Im not here to down your point of view and maybe i can give u things to consider to improve your survivability not to argue tactics. Most gunfights happen in the space of a phone booth and are shockingly fast and your off arm can create needed inches of space for you to deliver efffective fire kind of the same way a cross draw can get you dead "i belive why the fbi stopped" having draw arm pinned to your body by your attacker. So what do you train for these close in encounters

No one wants to talk any more?

Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    Sure, I'll talk.
    I offered some advice earlier on without any judgement on chambered vs empty. However, since you want to talk, my position is that it is foolish to carry a gun that is not ready to fire. I'm a cop. I would never consider strapping on my gun and going to work with an empty chamber because if I need it I need it NOW - just like you. I don't have time to rack the slide - one handed, two handed, whatever - forget the "Israeli Method" BS because you're always going to be slower than the guy with a round in the chamber. It doesn't matter how you've trained, if you've practiced, what you've seen on youtube (all staged, remember?), a loaded gun is always faster than an unloaded gun. Simple. So, IMO, if you're going to carry, carry hot or leave it home.

As far as this "intimidation" from the sound of racking the slide that's been talked about in the last few posts, it's BS. You don't play around with a gun. What if the round hangs up? What if you accidently hit the mag release? Hell, what if you drop it because you're nervous and shook up because you're being approached by thugs with ball bats at 0200? Get serious about carrying a gun. If you need it you'll really need it. It's not a game. You will not set the rules. Things will not go according to your plan. Carry your gun loaded and be prepared to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    Don't ya think that further conversation on this thread is like giving CPR to a sun bloated cow carcass?
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Wc ifeel the same way as you, the op said he wanted to talk tactics and methods and i just offered a scenario where they would be at a serious disadvantage but they wouldnt respond

My wife quite frequently carries a revolver hammer down on an empty chamber. However, in her case the first Double-Action pull fires a round! She also at times carries a 1911 pattern Cocked and Locked, it varies on what level of safety she wants that day!

There are two legitimate sides to this discussion!
    Last edited by jmiked; May 30th, 2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Fumble Fingers
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    shockwave out of curiosity what purpose does the dummy round hold if your just gonna rack it out of the way anyway? Could you explain your reasoning behind this?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    My wife quite frequently carries a revolver hammer down on an empty chamber. However, in her case the first Double-Action pull fires a round! She also at times carries a 1911 pattern Cocked and Locked, it varies on what level of safety she wants that day!

There are two legitimate sides to this discussion!
    I feel like Michael Corleone in the Godfather III, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in".

Why in the world would your wife carry a revolver with the hammer down on an EMPTY chamber, yet be willing to carry a 1911 in Condition 1?? That doesn't make any logical or tactical sense at all. And could you please explain "levels of safety". Defining this as a "legitimate" side of the discussion is "illigitimate", IMO.

Please (please), sign yourself and your wife up for some basic firearm training.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Anybody who wants to carry unchambered should study the many videos on YouTube showing Israeli carry. Those guys rack and load and snap one off faster than I can clear leather. To that style of training is what the unchambered carrier has to commit: A relentless focus on muscle memory and snapping that slide automatically as part of the draw.
    - In the interest of giving people constructive ideas and scenarios for carrying unchambered, are there videos of the same guys chambering a round while they are on the ground with an attacker on top of them? When about with one hand on while they are on their back? These are very real and possible scenarios that you may find yourself in. I've also never seen one with a pocket pistol like the LCP (drawing and racking from a pocket)?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Don't ya think that further conversation on this thread is like giving CPR to a sun bloated cow carcass?
    ROFLMAO ! And yes it is . We gone bye bye.

P.S. Always one in the chamber !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links