South Dakota State Parks

South Dakota State Parks

This is a discussion on South Dakota State Parks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going out to the Black Hills this weekend, and have had mixed info about having a firearm in Custer State Park. Handgunlaw.us states that it ...

Thread: South Dakota State Parks

South Dakota State Parks

Going out to the Black Hills this weekend, and have had mixed info about having a firearm in Custer State Park. Handgunlaw.us states that it is legal to have firearms in state parks, yet when I call the park, the lady on the other end of the line says "No firearms, Period." in quite a demeaning tone. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Since you called the park and got her response, I would suggest that you call the Chief of Security not the gate keeper. You will need to ask them for a copy in writing that states any restriction. It is my practice to carry concealed and leave if requested to shoud it be discovered that I and carrying.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

SD Codified Law
    TITLE 1 STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
    26. Administrative Procedure and Rules
    1-26-6.10. Restriction of licensee's right or privilege to carry or possess pistol prohibited. No state agency may adopt or promulgate any rule that restricts any right or privilege to carry or possess a pistol in contravention to authority being exercised in accordance with being licensed to carry a concealed pistol pursuant to chapter 23-7.

As I've heard, this law was specifically enacted to keep the parks from prohibiting concealed carry. If you have a permit (and all states' permits are recognized by SD) you have the law on your side.

Also note the firearms portion of the posted park regulations here (see end of page)
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

As was stated previously, SDCL 1-26-6.10 specifically addresses this issue, and was a direct response to SD Game Fish & Parks restricting concealed carry in state parks. Obviously the law has a wider impact that just state parks, but the law allows you carry legally without restriction from any state agency, including GF&P. As long as you're obeying all state and federal laws, you've got nothing to worry about.

Keep in mind that the rules about firearms in state parks are still valid for everything other than concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Since you called the park and got her response, I would suggest that you call the Chief of Security not the gate keeper. You will need to ask them for a copy in writing that states any restriction. It is my practice to carry concealed and leave if requested to shoud it be discovered that I and carrying.
    I did this, and the Chief of Security said there was no restriction as long as I followed the law. All went well. Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it!

Sponsored Links