Safety of carry a Jframe, vs a 1911, vs a Glock, vs a Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Safety of carry a Jframe, vs a 1911, vs a Glock, vs a Ruger LCP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this topic comes up frequently but I have a question. I have been carrying a firearm for 2 years. I used to carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Safety of carry a Jframe, vs a 1911, vs a Glock, vs a Ruger LCP

I know this topic comes up frequently but I have a question.
    I have been carrying a firearm for 2 years. I used to carry maybe 4 days a week. I started with a Glock and carried it 75% without one in the chamber. I just never felt comfortable although I know that the only way it would go off is if your finger or some object pulled the trigger all the way back. Since then I have purchased a 1911 and a S&W Jframe. I now carry every day either the 1911 Condition 1 or the Jframe. Both of those I feel very comfortable carry and not have a ND.

Here are my question:
    Am I crazy for not being 100% comfortable carrying a Glock with one in the pipe while I am 100% comfy carry a Jframe or 1911?

If I bought Ruger LCP or another DAO pocket pistol, would they be similar to carrying a DAO revolver as far as the risk for ND?

Yeah, you're crazy alright.100% loco.

Sent from my phone
    Old School likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I just feel that with my Jframe, the trigger pull is long and heavy. You REALLY have to pull it for it to fire. With my 1911, you have to disengage the manual safety, push in the grip safety, and pull the trigger. These firearms imo are VERY safe. The Glock has a shorter and lighter trigger pull without a manual safety.

Carried in a good holster with proper retention and trigger coverage, the Glock is just as safe as either of your other two. Any gun that is carried without proper holster retention and trigger coverage has the potential to be unsafe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have carried all 3 types for years (more than 25 except Glock, Glock for 20 years) changing when and where and feel safe with all conditions. Basically if in a DAO system If I do not pull the trigger all they way back the gun will not go bang. In the 1911 case unless I grip it and release the safety (all are ambi in my case) and pull the trigger it won't go off. I feel safe in all conditions and continue to train and use in these conditions. My Glocks have 4lb triggers, my 1911 has a 3lb trigger and my DAO Revolver has a 2lb trigger in single action and a 8lb trigger in DAO. Exercise of the trigger finger is needed in all of these cases and lots of it going to the range on a regular basis (weekly).
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

You pose an argument that's about 180 degrees from the typical one, namely "is it safe to carry a 1911 in Condition 1." Refreshing!

NDs with Glocks happen most commonly when the finger finds its way to the trigger as the gun is unholstered or reholstered. If you can manage that basic step, you should be plenty safe.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Training and muscle memory are both your friends...develop them to be CLOSE friends and you'll be just fine.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't see much of a difference between the j-frame and glock. If you're more comfortable with the 1911 and j-frame, then stick with them. You shouldn't be trying to do anything groundbreaking.

As long as the trigger isn't pulled, or catches on something that forces the trigger back.
    And on a revolver, the trigger or the hammer.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I carried a G23 for well over ten years when I first started carrying a handgun for defense. I kinda remember having a semi uncomfortable feeling at first. However, It didn't take me long after some thugs tried to bust down my front door one evening. From that moment on I instantly become more trigger savvy with my Glocks. Although I attribute my racking the slide that actually may have scared the punks off before they could successfully kick the door in, but after that night I lost all discomfort with my loaded chamber worry. Fact is pretty simple for me. As one that's been there, done that, I can honestly say that had the first kick on the door been successful, I'd have had maybe a split second to rise from a seated position, draw my handgun and rack the slide, then try to get a sight picture..... IMO, way to long to be successful during most any altercation involving the use of deadly force.

My advice is pretty much along the lines of what's already been stated.. Get a good comfortable holster and belt setup and load that Glock up and know that as you stated yourself, only a trigger pull will cause it to fire. I would imagine most ND's involving Glocks and other "SAFE ACTION" type triggers happen when re-holstering, so use caution when holstering on a live round. Other than that, IMO you have one of the best combat handguns out there and it's just an inanimate object and cannot function without an operator.

+1 on the revolver DAO too... That's pretty much all I carry nowadays. A couple of lightweight revolvers fills the bill for my defensive needs. I like the "Keep it simple, stupid" philosophy.

Good luck!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    They are all safe in the context of proper handling and holstered carry. That said, I rate the potential mishaps with improper handling of less likely to more likely: j-frame, 1911, Glock. Just my personal opinion based on my knowledge of incidents over several years.
    Old School likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    They are all safe in the context of proper handling and holstered carry. That said, I rate the potential mishaps with improper handling of less likely to more likely: j-frame, 1911, Glock. Just my personal opinion based on my knowledge of incidents over several years.
    I agree with you 100%. Proper handling and holstering is key.

Where would you put say a Ruger LCP in regards to potential mishaps with improper handling?

I am a revolver person and I EDC a 642. However, on occasion I do carry my Glock 23. The very first thing I did when I got the Glock was put in the NY#1 trigger. Now I have the same long, hard pull I have on my S&W. I am out for practical SD shooting at short range (<25 ft) so I don't need the "Target trigger" feel.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    While I have never owned a Glock, I do carry a 1911 and on occasion a DA revolver. I also carry a Kahr which is DAO. All 3 are carried with one in the chamber. The key to carrying any gun is to make sure it is carried in a holster that properly fits it. As long as it is securely holstered with the trigger covered, it will not fire, contrary to what many anti's and sheeple think.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Your observation is definately worth some thought, Joepa.

I'm very comfortable while holstering a cond 1 1911 with my thumb under the hammer, or a revolver with my thumb behind the hammer. With any DAO, no external safety, striker-fired pistol, I probably take just a little extra care to insure there is no trigger obstruction (like my shirt) while reholstering. I don't ever give myself extra points on how fast I can resholster.

Once it's in the holster, I'm content that it's safe. Otherwise I wouldn't carry it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links