Defensive Carry banner

How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

310K views 1K replies 741 participants last post by  JD 
#1 · (Edited)
As I have not been able to find a simple poll (recent or not) of members regarding your choice on keeping a round chambered or not. (please forgive me if I've missed anything from the last 365 days!) Please vote at the top of this post!

There are plenty of discussions, but I am just looking for a simple count.

After answering, please feel free to expound upon your choice by giving details such as your pistol's usual condition (0 ~ 4), its trigger type (DA/SA, etc.) & so on.

Thanks much!

#443 ·
Colt new agent .45 appendix carry with clip draw. Locked and loaded. Do you know how many things you have to do to make a 1911 fire.

#444 ·
People who don't carry with a round in the chamber are just asking for something bad to happen. You can draw your weapon and say "excuse me mr. Bad guy let my chamber a round before you attack me". Come on people get real, if you think that it's unsafe to carry without a chambered round then you shouldn't carry at all.

#449 ·
I was trained to always have one chambered. If you're uncomfortable with a loaded firearm, please don't carry until you get more training.

Also if the assailant is close enough to take the gun from me, it's not leaving the holster until I have created distance.

- Todd
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#451 ·
I carry with one in the chamber. It is ready to go and means I can carry an additional round of ammunition.

My wife carries without one in the chamber. She feels more comfortable that way and I respect that. Much better than not carrying at all.

#454 ·
If you have already read through 462 other replies, then maybe mine will still matter..... Personally, it depends on where and how I am carrying. If the gun is physically attached to my being (holstered), then yes, chambered round all the way. If I am in an environment where I feel that I am not going to be put in an immediate response situation to save my own life, and my weapon is in a carry bag or the like, then no I don't. Let me give my regular example...I am on the tech/sound team at my church. When I am in the secluded sound booth, my weapon is usually in my backpack at my feet. After much thought, I highly doubt any BG is going to start his mayhem in the closed off tech booth at church, unless he is just singling me out specifically, which would be a whole other situation i guess. I may be in the minority, but I do both regularly, so i guess my vote cancels itself out??? :)

#458 ·
If you have already read through 462 other replies, then maybe mine will still matter..... Personally, it depends on where and how I am carrying. If the gun is physically attached to my being (holstered), then yes, chambered round all the way. If I am in an environment where I feel that I am not going to be put in an immediate response situation to save my own life, and my weapon is in a carry bag or the like, then no I don't.
- Be very careful if you keep chambering the same round. Bullet setback can be very dangerous to your gun and you.

#459 ·
I always carry with one in the chamber. I do this for a few reason.

1. I carry a Walther PPS in .40 cal and it only has a six round mag. That extra round just makes me feel better.

2. My carry weapon is DAO.

3. I carry in a quality holster. When I draw my weapon from the holster my finger rests right on the outside of the trigger guard and in the 1,000 plus times I've drawn it for training I've never fired premature.

4. I don't take carrying lightly. I don't believe a firearm is used as a deterrant. It is used as a method of LAST resort. I will not draw my pistol unless I think myself, my wife, or my child are in immediate life threatening danger and there is no other way to survive than to kill someone. This is real life and not a movie. I will not try and add "effect" by racking the slide in front of the bad guy hoping he'll think I'm serious. If I have to draw, the only things I want to focus on are aiming and squeezing the trigger.

#460 ·
I carry one chambered (holstered, of course). It's the only way, IMO. Otherwise, the gun might as well be unloaded.

Glock 19
Kahr P380

No external safeties required...just the one between my ears. ;)

#462 ·
Lets say a bad guy sees my print. He comes from behind and bulldozes me to the ground. He attempts to pull my weapon from the holster while we struggle and roll around.
I see a few outcomes here.
Possible, maybe. Plausible, yes. Likely, not really when you consider that is a very low chance of happening. I don't give a hoot how one carries but I don't see the logic in your arguement (as far as the likilihood of it happening.) Like everything in life you do a risk assessment. The risk of your scenario is extremely low compared to one where the BG does not see your gun and decides to take it. Of course it has happened but not frequently. The more plausiblelikely scenario is a BG coming around the corner 10 ft from you with his gun drawn and you might need to draw your gun and shoot quickly.

Just saying if that is your reason for carrying one in the chamber I would rethink the likilihood of different scenarios.

Fighter pilots carry loaded but not good to go until they reach the threat radius. This radius is variable and dynamic as is our movement thru our day.
That is just a ridiculus analogy.......I can't really comment any further on it LOL But if you want to be technical, they do have one "in the chamber" and have a safety. They do not have a crew chief hanging on the wing with an AIM 9 ready to put it on a rail.

#463 ·
Possible, maybe. Plausible, yes. Likely, not really when you consider that is a very low chance of happening. I don't give a hoot how one carries but I don't see the logic in your arguement (as far as the likilihood of it happening.) Like everything in life you do a risk assessment. The risk of your scenario is extremely low compared to one where the BG does not see your gun and decides to take it. Of course it has happened but not frequently. The more plausiblelikely scenario is a BG coming around the corner 10 ft from you with his gun drawn and you might need to draw your gun and shoot quickly.

Just saying if that is your reason for carrying one in the chamber I would rethink the likilihood of different scenarios.

That is just a ridiculus analogy.......I can't really comment any further on it LOL But if you want to be technical, they do have one "in the chamber" and have a safety. They do not have a crew chief hanging on the wing with an AIM 9 ready to put it on a rail.
Not wanting to hijack this thread but you are entirely incorrect if your comment was directed at my analogy of fighter A/c. They do NOT have safety's on missle platform hard points.
Any safety is built into the procedure to launch.
To arm ANY A/G or A/A missle, the pilot MUST 1) Un-Cage. This is a 2 step process. 2) Must arm the Warhead be it tac, nuke or H.E 3) Release code inputs.

Of course this is all done well before the A/c enters hostile airspace.

#465 ·
Better analogy? The M-79 grenade launcher round has to go a certain distance from the barrel before it will explode so you don't blow yourself up.
I think old style torpedoes and areal bombs had similar arming.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.