POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To me, it is not the time it takes to chamber a round, but the once in a lifetime chance that the round I need ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 13 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
Like Tree693Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

To me, it is not the time it takes to chamber a round, but the once in a lifetime chance that the round I need to chamber extremely quick, doesn't.

2. Remove Ads

Whether it's my Springfield 1911 Micro-compact or my CZ 2075 RAMI, it's always cocked & locked with one in the chamber.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

A gun with an unchambered round is in essence an unloaded gun. An unloaded gun is a useless tool, until you can load it. I've always heard, action is faster than reaction, and presumably, the only time you would react with a gun is when your life is in imminent danger. People who intend to put your life in danger probably won't announce their intentions ahead of time, so it will be a surprise. You will have to first recognize the threat, decide to react to it, then carry out the motor skills needed to draw, present and fire your weapon. If you're exceptionally good, that's 2.5 seconds. Now add in another .5 seconds to chamber a round, (if you're exceptionally good) and you've got 3 seconds. Guess what? A person standing 25 feet away can empty a fully loaded Glock 17 into you in 3 seconds! And a person standing 25 feet away could close that distance and stab you 5 or 6 times in 3 seconds....

Point being, you're already behind schedule when you try to defend yourself from a surprise attack so why add any more time to your disadvantage?

one in the pipe

sent from my sending device

Always a round chambered.

I carry my firearm to fight for my life ......not to load at the worst most stressful most time sensitive moment of my life.Chamberd at all times when the firearm is on my person.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
    I know you are right... You ever met a dude named Murphy?
    I have met Mr.Murphy many times .......the only person that has made a firearm go off that is in my controll is me.

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    No, 2-3 seconds to chamber allows one to "think" about their situation. After the trigger is pulled you may of wished for a few second to re-consider. Military training is to treat any weapon as being loaded, but only Lock&Load when authorized or only when the situation requires it. Accidental discharges happens when a round is chambered or a mechanical safe fails. IMHO, AD happens more often then a armed citizen who didn't get the first round down range. The last Safety any gun owner has is his brains and solid consistent training.
    A month ago, an airman waiting in the Bagram PAX terminal had an AD. Shot another Airman in the leg next to him. In the old days, you had to clear your weapon when entering certian building like the DFAC, PX, etc. Now it is only if you drive through the ECP's to get on post. After that there is are no checks and balances in place. It is sad situation.
    Firearms do not manipulate themselves into firing.In my tour of Iraq all of the ND"s i experienced we at clearing barrels ,thankfully the clearing devices did the job and no one was hurt or killed My tour was in 03-04 the bases i worked out of did not require that individual weapons be cleared upon entry.The lesson is that when you start manipulating guns for no good reason or for stupid reasons you increase the odds that a ND will occur.I operated out of two bases and visited many more, ND's only happend after clearing devices were added.

1911 cocked and loaded always

I carry with an empty chamber. After I pull it out of my waist band I rack the slide. Then I rack it again to let my victim know I'm serious. I rack it a third time because it makes me feel tough. That's how it's done in the movies so it must be right. And the most important thing... my finger is on the trigger the whole time.

Now back to the real world...
    I started with am empty chamber while I got comfortable with the weapon. I asked around for opinions and weighed the pros and cons. I was told that modern guns only discharge when the trigger is pulled. Then I read about a guy in Goshen IN who's gun fell out of his pocket and shot his daughter in the head. I dropped my XDM (empty) from waist height a few times as a test. The indicator on the back of the slide said it was still cocked. After some more thought and a conversation with an instructor about trying to protect my daughter with one hand and drawing with the other (not chambered) I decided chambered was the way to go.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Always have a round chambered in my 9c and 45c, always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Always chambered but it's a Revolver so I don't know if that counts.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I don't carry with one in the chamber, but I do practice a lot, and feel completely confident with the way I carry.
    Chad Rogers and baren like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Despite the perceived drama created by many, the odds of a CCWer getting into a Heat style shootout are about the same as being eaten by a striped purple shark. A CCWer does not have to place himself into dangerous situations as would a lawman. A CCWer can avoid places. A CCWer can leave places when the antennae are twitching.

As long as he trains to rack a round when he draws his heater, and as long as he understands the risks, then he shouldn't worry about what others do and what they think of him. They ain't him and they ain't walking in his shoes.

Back in the late '70s/early 80s I met a couple of cops who only carried 5 rounds in the cylinder. They kept the first round in the cylinder that would rotate into action empty of a bullet in case their gun were taken from them. They had their reason...
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I carry revolvers, so I am always ready.
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

Links