POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chad Rogers Despite the perceived drama created by many, the odds of a CCWer getting into a Heat style shootout are about ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2454. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,206 89.89%
  • No round in chamber

248 10.11%
Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
Like Tree543Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Despite the perceived drama created by many, the odds of a CCWer getting into a Heat style shootout are about the same as being eaten by a striped purple shark. A CCWer does not have to place himself into dangerous situations as would a lawman. A CCWer can avoid places. A CCWer can leave places when the antennae are twitching.

As long as he trains to rack a round when he draws his heater, and as long as he understands the risks, then he shouldn't worry about what others do and what they think of him. They ain't him and they ain't walking in his shoes.

Back in the late '70s/early 80s I met a couple of cops who only carried 5 rounds in the cylinder. They kept the first round in the cylinder that would rotate into action empty of a bullet in case their gun were taken from them. They had their reason...
    No drama chad, just people knowing how to do it right. You are correct about avoidance, but that doesnt always work, especially when the fight is brought to you. There is a reason the modern handgun is made the way it is. Its safe to have one in the chamber. There are to many issues with drawing and racking the slide. I personally believe that not having one in the chamber is unsafe....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    No drama chad, just people knowing how to do it right. You are correct about avoidance, but that doesnt always work, especially when the fight is brought to you. There is a reason the modern handgun is made the way it is. Its safe to have one in the chamber. There are to many issues with drawing and racking the slide. I personally believe that not having one in the chamber is unsafe....
    I carry with one in the chamber. I don't look down on those who don't. Like those couple of cops I met in NYC. Working in the precincts they were, they were doing far more dangerous work than most people on most forums ever will. Yet they made the conscious decision not to carry with the revolver's equivalent of one in the chamber for the reason that they did. Their rational decision based upon their rational assessment of their street combat world. I respected their decision.
    baren likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I carry with one in the chamber. I don't look down on those who don't. Like those couple of cops I met in NYC. Working in the precincts they were, they were doing far more dangerous work than most people on most forums ever will. Yet they made the conscious decision not to carry with the revolver's equivalent of one in the chamber for the reason that they did. Their rational decision based upon their rational assessment of their street combat world. I respected their decision.
    I know lot of LEO's that wouldn't use them as a backup or partners in the real world.
    Harryball likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

See this video
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

For a day I carried without a round in a chamber to get used to the idea of cocked and locked. Once I saw that the safety did not disengage the entire day, I racked on in and ever looked back.

Even with my Shield, I still rock the chamber hot.

To me, it's much easier to train keeping the finger off the trigger until ready to fire and good gun safety rather than train a very fast draw and rack (or Israeli Draw).

That, and I've seen a video on liveleak where a jewelery store clerk was seen being shot to death while he tried to draw and rack his gun in the middle of an armed robbery. Images with that stick with a person, ya know?

Although I do carry with a round in the chamber, I respect people who prefer to not have one in the chamber. My idea is as long as they are carrying, almost anything else comes down to personal preference. I've seen people do a very fast Israeli draw - who am I to say they need to relearn their system and carry one in the chamber? If it works, it works.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I also know a lot of LEOs that wouldnt use them as backup or partners as well. I think the officers you speak of need to know how to use the tools they have...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Carry Condition

Whatever condition you choose to carry a weapon, it's important to practice. Take the cartridges out or use snap-caps and handle the pistol.

I prefer pistols with a hammer-release and thumb safety (so I don't carry a Glock or its derivatives). I carry in C3 once in a while, but C1 is my preferred method most of the time (when I'm in mental Condition Orange for sure). My favorite pistols are my H&K P30 and Beretta M9. I carry a concealed weapon, so my favorite pistols don't usually make the trip because they're too big and heavy. I then fall back on my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 Auto or my Smith and Wesson Airweight J frame .38 revolver.

I've shot bigger caliber guns, but I have come to believe the 9mm, .38 and even .380 are plenty powerful for self defense. I haven't needed to shoot the engine block of get away cars in a while.

I think carrying in C0 (even for police officers in normal conditions) is too dangerous, although statistics show unintentional discharges by LEO's are extremely rare, so training and practice make all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I carry a Glock, chambered.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Despite the perceived drama created by many, the odds of a CCWer getting into a Heat style shootout are about the same as being eaten by a striped purple shark. A CCWer does not have to place himself into dangerous situations as would a lawman. A CCWer can avoid places. A CCWer can leave places when the antennae are twitching.

As long as he trains to rack a round when he draws his heater, and as long as he understands the risks, then he shouldn't worry about what others do and what they think of him. They ain't him and they ain't walking in his shoes.

Back in the late '70s/early 80s I met a couple of cops who only carried 5 rounds in the cylinder. They kept the first round in the cylinder that would rotate into action empty of a bullet in case their gun were taken from them. They had their reason...
    I dont think time would be an issue. I shot IDPA and also took a couple classes with a guy that carried his Glock with an empty chamber, never realized he was doing it until I ROd when he was shooting and watched his draw closely. He is very fast and racking the slide has become part of his draw. We even checked his 1st shot times and he was par with the better shooters.

Id think the only issue could be IF you never got the chance to chamber a round. IF stats are correct, a lot of CCW incidents happen at contact distance, possibly while already grappling with an opponent (Zimmerman for instance), you may not have a free hand to chamber a round.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I carry a LC9 right front pocket in a superfly, safety off, round in chamber. PX4 SC in console of car (round in chamber) since I cannot draw from sitting position.

Carry Bodyguard 380, XDsc9, and soon to be added into the rotation a LC9... all chambered with a round. Safeties off on the 380 and the LC9.... All holstered with triggers covered... To each his own, be safe.

CJM
    Chambered all the time.

Chambered.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Chambered, cocked and locked, just the way JMB designed it to be carried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wouldn't even think about carrying without one in chamber. I carry LCP and Glock 19.

I agree wholeheartedly with those that have said that bad situations have a way of finding you. I've had 3 such incidents find me, but fortunately I was able to avoid further escalation each time without having to use a weapon to defend myself. And I usually go out of my way to avoid perceived bad areas and confrontations, yet these incidents found me.
    NRA Life Member

Links