Defensive Carry banner

How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

310K views 1K replies 741 participants last post by  JD 
#1 · (Edited)
As I have not been able to find a simple poll (recent or not) of members regarding your choice on keeping a round chambered or not. (please forgive me if I've missed anything from the last 365 days!) Please vote at the top of this post!

There are plenty of discussions, but I am just looking for a simple count.

After answering, please feel free to expound upon your choice by giving details such as your pistol's usual condition (0 ~ 4), its trigger type (DA/SA, etc.) & so on.

Thanks much!

#504 ·
ALWAYS chambered. I would need two hands to chamber, unless I'm doing something fancy like racking the slide on my holster which I've heard of LEO training to do but never actually doing it. The point is, if I have my left hand on someone's face trying to keep them back, there will be no time/ability to rack the slide. I could be putting my left hand to much better use in a dangerious situation, racking the slide is a step I won't have time for plus if your trying to be sneaky or nondiscreet (don't want to alert the BG) racking the slide will totally give you away. It's already going to take time to pull from my IWB holster, no need to add more time by racking the slide.

#516 ·
I carry with a round chambered with hammer down and safety on. Dose anybody else?
Not for a 1911... One in the chamber, safety on ready to pop... It is dangerous to try to put the hammer down on a 1911.. You are likely to get an AD.

#511 ·
When I first answered this question I answered No Round In Chamber, because at the time I wasn't 100% comfortable carrying with one chambered.

Since then I've taken my CCW course, and been to the range as much as I could get out. I now carry chambered, with thumb safety on for my Ruger SR40c. I specifically trained myself to disengage the safety as I draw to the point where it is second nature now, and I practice draw a few times a day at the house. Carry 9 rnd mag + 1 in chamber for .40 - the 15 rnd mag makes it hard to conceal properly for me and the 9 rnd mag actually fits my grip better. Looking for a magazine holster in passing now, though I don't normally go to particularly sketchy neighborhoods so I'm not actively searching for one to buy in any specific time frame.

#512 ·
I know this has been said thousands of times, why would anyone carry an unloaded gun for protection. To use it as a club?

#515 ·
As it has been responded thousands of times... It's a personal choice. A club is also a selfdefense option!

#513 ·
I used to carry a few old single action revolvers with an empty under the hammer just in case of falling or the hammer getting hit by something. After the use of transfer bars on SA I stopped doing that. Carry everything semi or revolver fully charged now.:smile:

#518 ·
I wonder how many people though give themselves the chance to do the right thing in this post and that being always practicing awareness with their weapon. I don't carry yet but do carry a knife and threw out the day I am aware of it's presence cause I use it all the time. I at times will go home even to get it if I forget it just cause I'm use to it. If you don't get use to your weapon being with you/on you then you're going to be in trouble by not giving yourself enough reaction time to get away from any such action that's taking place.

#521 ·
Thunder this is just a thought you might want to train some more, I have done so much time in combat and with weapons loaded in Condition 1 , human error can be avoided with quality and repetitive training. My weapons are always carried with a round in the chamber. Computers fail too, and a busted watch is right twice a day, with training you can over come your fear, anxiety and confusion which leads to human error.

#522 ·
Loaded or unloaded we treat our guns always like they are loaded. Why would we carry a gun with none in the chamber and treat it like it was loaded. Carrying unloaded seem like your going to have a choice. Did I put one in the chamber or not ? We treat all like they are loaded. That's the way I was trained by my CCW instructor. Has anyone been instructed different?
Loaded the only way to go is one in the chamber.

#530 ·
I must confess the longer I carry I trust myself to always have one in the pipe. When I first started carrying12 plus years ago
I did carry one in the pipe untill couple encounters with coy dogs in my back yard trying to caught my cat for lunch.In times of stress you have to keep everything simple,stupid because I found myself just aimming and pulling the trigger.After that I made sure there was always one in the chamber.Bye the way it was several more years before she was lost to nature.She was in her 20's and was as fat as a butter ball.

#534 ·
Condition Zero...

However, there have been occasions where I've carried condition 3, such as during mass at my church, a Christmas Party that my friend's parents hosted, and my uncle's house where there where many small children bumping into everyone.

To those that are thinking "an unloaded gun is about as useful as a brick," I will say this... carrying without a round in the chamber is still better than not carrying at all. With that said, 99.9% of the time, I'll keep one in the pipe.

#537 ·
However, there have been occasions where I've carried condition 3, such as during mass at my church, a Christmas Party that my friend's parents hosted, and my uncle's house where there where many small children bumping into everyone.

To those that are thinking "an unloaded gun is about as useful as a brick," I will say this... carrying without a round in the chamber is still better than not carrying at all. With that said, 99.9% of the time, I'll keep one in the pipe.
I'm curious what is the difference between these events and any other event with people around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.