POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber - Page 15

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying without a round in the chamber is an invitation to your own funeral. Do you honestly think in a fluid, violent situation, that you ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
Like Tree699Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Carrying without a round in the chamber is an invitation to your own funeral. Do you honestly think in a fluid, violent situation, that you will have time to pull your weapon, rack the slide, aim, and fire, especially with clammy or sweaty palms?

Not much of a choice being it is a 38 special. If I carried a semi I probably wouldn't have a round in the chamber. Some guy living my neck of the
    woods was fiddling with his glock, in the holster, while sitting in the minivan with his daughters while his wife went into the store to get that
    nights dvd. He managed to fire off a round into his leg and bled to death 5 minutes from a hospital. If ya got a round chambered don't fiddle with the damned gun unless you are trying to get it out of the holster...then keep your stupid finger off the trigger unless you actually want to pull
    it...that was the lesson I learned from that event. The guy was screwing around with the seat belt and managed to pull the trigger. I can't
    imagine the sorrow his wife and daughters went through at such a senseless accident. My holster has a trigger belt and snap that must be
    unsnapped before the trigger can engage the firing pin. It can't be unsnapped by accident, has to be deliberate.
    baren likes this.

I remember when I first started carrying I would sometimes feel like I didn't need a round chambered. I soon got over that feeling. If you don't feel confidant enough to carry hot then you need more training. Plus it gives you an extra round to protect yourself.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

I carry with a round chambered and a full magazine. A while ago I was talking with some friends and found out a few of them also carried and the topic moved to magazine capacity. Was pretty surprised to find out that 2 of them routinely racked the slide before going out, but didn't add another to the magazine. For me, it's just a habit that carried over from a former occupation so I guess maybe I'm the odd one?? Either way, I go +1 and usually with a spare mag, but not always. Sometimes my pockets are already full of other things, like tootsie rolls and jawbreakers.

I'd be interested to find out how many of us keep the safety on? On one of mine, I leave it on fire because it's an irritating ambi thumb safety and it sticks. Who with a SA/DA pistol keeps the hammer back? I've found that LEOs don't like that, but it's as necessary to me as going +1.

GH
    I always carry with a round chambered +1 in the magazine giving me 15 rounds. My holster covers the trigger completely & the trigger has a fairly long, hard pull.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I always have a round chambered. Always.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Round in chamber. The bad guys arent going to wait for you to load your gun.
    CJM likes this.

Condition 1, hot pipe, full 7 rnd mag and decocked/safety on.

One in the chamber in both the pf9 and the pt738. Both are DAO and both are a pain to chamber a round due to their size, definitely wouldn't want that extra step if I had to use it. It gives me chills thinking about drawing, racking the slide, pulling the trigger and no bang from not getting one chambered. I dont carry a paperweight for a reason!

of course one in the chamber,it does'nt shoot without a chambered round

I agree with what others have said. If you aren't comfortable with a round in the chamber, you need more training.
    Hoganbeg and HillbilliesRule like this.

Round chambered. With a mic holster I can cycle and clear my Glock with the trigger fully covered the entire time. No reason not to, no possibility of n.d.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Definitely a round in the chamber. I have three semi autos, one in the car, two in the house. One upstairs, one downstairs. All have a full mags, Defensive Carry ammo and chambered rounds.
    The only weapon I have that does not have a chambered round is my AR and that depends on the situation. Usually it is in my gun bag so what's the point.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

6.4% of 650 some people? wow. not judging. you gotta do what you need to do to be safe. but wow.

i think if you don't feel comfortable with one chambered the better course of action would be to seek more training and get comfortable.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I would like to carry with one in the chamber but I do worry about the risk of ND while carrying and while administratively loading/unloading on a daily basis. An excellent well balanced article on the subject is here:

The Thinking Gunfighter: THE MYTHS OF THE ISRAELI METHOD OF CARRY, or why carrying chamber empty isn’t so bad.

That said, for those of you who do carry in C1 (one in the pipe) do you load/unload daily when you out your gun away or get it out? Or do you leave it chambered always? I think if I left it chambered always that might be enough to sway me.

Sponsored Links