POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always have one in the chamber. I dont see a reason not to....

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Like Tree698Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

I always have one in the chamber. I dont see a reason not to.

2. Remove Ads

I carry with a round loaded in my SR9C. If you don't, practice, practice, practice draw, chamber, fire and then do it some more.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow38 View Post
    does not make any sense to carry on an empty chamber, if you draw your gun, that means things went bad, by the time you chamber a round,its over,i would be surprised if you had time to even rack the slide part way...
    I would venture to guess that under the extreme stress of a possible shooting that most people wouldn't even think about the fact that they needed to chamber a round.

Most of the time I carry a 1911. It was designed to be carried "cocked and locked" in a good holster. Why carry any other way? And when I carry my S&W642, all 5 cylinders have rounds in them. It just doesn't make sense to me to carry any other way!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I bet you all carry your gun in your underwear to bed, I mean seconds count and all and most likely if you're ever going to need it quick, it will be in your own home - while you dream about bullseye shots from the hip.

That's why I open carry on a break away necklace, no clothes or stubborn holster to get in the way.

I carry chambered, DAO no safety just long trigger pull.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    1911 - one in the pipe and 8 in the magazine - always. I can't predict or control when or where I may need to defend my life. I CAN control how I respond.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I bet you all carry your gun in your underwear to bed, I mean seconds count and all and most likely if you're ever going to need it quick, it will be in your own home - while you dream about bullseye shots from the hip.

That's why I open carry on a break away necklace, no clothes or stubborn holster to get in the way.
    Where do you get your necklaces? Mine keep breaking when I'm jogging at the park.
    Gargoyle0512 likes this.

sgb
    Carrying with an empty chamber is generally due to lack of proper training
    OD* and CIBMike like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I do carry chambered, and the only real advantage to that is that I don't have to worry about racking the slide with one hand. I did time myself drawing and firing with a round in the chamber, and again without. Virtually no difference. I can rack the slide as my gun is coming up and it doesn't affect my time at all. I don't feel that it's worth any security factor to not chamber a round. If you feel confident that you can defend yourself without a round in the chamber, then by all means, go for it. I don't think it's a good idea, but that's all you'll hear from me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Carrying with an empty chamber is generally due to lack of proper training
    Generally perhaps, but sometimes it's just a matter of personal choice. Ain't America great?

As long as it is legal and safe, I really don't care if or how people choose to carry.
    mr.stuart likes this.

VIP Member
    Just watch this jewlery store employee in Agra India if he wishes he was carrying one in the pipe when these thugs burst in.
    Oh thats right, I believe he died.

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

Always con. ONE, & NO SAFETIES, & No baloney!!

What if you other hand is incapacitated, and therefore you are UNABLE to "rack your slide".

Bend over and kiss your but goodbye
    CIBMike likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Generally perhaps, but sometimes it's just a matter of personal choice. Ain't America great?

As long as it is legal and safe, I really don't care if or how people choose to carry.
    Didn't say I cared what other folks did. People make stupid decisions every day, fortunately the only one generally effected is just them.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

There are several videos that show people being killed while trying to chamber a round in their Semi Auto handgun,one IIRC is in a foreign Country the shopkeeper had killed the assailants brother in some kind of altercation.The shopkeeper is sitting in his shop BS-ing with a couple guys when the brother comes bursting into the shop and starts shooting,shop owner draws and tries to chamber a round but jams his gun,assailant keeps coming and shooting while shopkeeper tries to run to cover still trying to get his gun unjammed.Assailant finishes him off and then takes his gun and leaves.Go ahead and carry without one in the chamber but you may not have that extra .5 to 1 second to get a shot off and then again in a high stress situation fine motor skills may not be working and as you pull the slide your fingers may slip and you don't get a round chambered,or you jam your gun.
    As far as people that think they may have an ND with a round chambered,most guns that are a result of ND's are the unloaded or empty ones
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Always carry cocked and locked or don't carry at all. I recently posted this video and you can clearly see that the good guy would have had no chance if he had to rack the slide first. Also, what if the gun jams when you rack the slide and a round fails to chamber (it DOES happen)? Then you are hosed.

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Links