POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber - Page 33

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Still not believing this thread is still active.......

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 33 of 94 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
Like Tree699Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Still not believing this thread is still active....

Smile Round Chambered CONVERT

Thank you everyone for such insightful and well thought out responses to this question!

I've always followed the thought that it is safer to go unchambered, the thinking being that if I have to brandish from concealment, the exrta half second wouldn't matter (If I would need to be that fast I'd likely be dead)...so why take the risk of a ND?

But based on this thread though, and especially hearing from those who have had to draw, I'm converting to the 'one in the pipe' team!

The only drawback in switching over would be that I may accidentally eject a live round in a tense situation, but having one less round is far better than expecting a bang and getting a click. Plus I could now carry a full mag +1, so I'm really no worse off anyway.

Also, I'm quitting cold turkey and going chambered whenever I carry, so there shouldn't be any training issues.

Thanks all! Who knows, you may have saved a life!

I carry an LCP, and occasionally my Glock 23...both chambered from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by 12gun View Post
    Thank you everyone for such insightful and well thought out responses to this question!

I've always followed the thought that it is safer to go unchambered, the thinking being that if I have to brandish from concealment, the exrta half second wouldn't matter (If I would need to be that fast I'd likely be dead)...so why take the risk of a ND?

But based on this thread though, and especially hearing from those who have had to draw, I'm converting to the 'one in the pipe' team!

The only drawback in switching over would be that I may accidentally eject a live round in a tense situation, but having one less round is far better than expecting a bang and getting a click. Plus I could now carry a full mag +1, so I'm really no worse off anyway.

Also, I'm quitting cold turkey and going chambered whenever I carry, so there shouldn't be any training issues.

You'll shoot yer eye out!
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gun View Post

Glad we can help.

By the way, welcome to the forum and great first post.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My revolver chambers are always full.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Always chambered

GH

12gun

Welcome to the site & to the world of fully prepared.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I also keep both eyes open & my hands untied.
    aus71383 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lawyer Goudy: ...You sprang from cover with revolver in hand?
    Rooster Cogburn: I did.
    Lawyer Goudy: Loaded and cocked?
    Rooster Cogburn: Well, if it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot.

If It Ain't Loaded And Cocked, It Don't Shoot Sound Clip and Quote - Hark
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

I never carry with one in the chamber but I have chambered a round while i was out.

round chambered , my p250sc is DAO

Just changed my mind

Glad I read this sticky.

My wife and I both got our CPL's recently and I have struggled with this question - the utmost in safety versus the extra half-second or so to chamber a round in a bad situation. We carry to protect ourselves so we want every advantage.

Before reading this sticky I kept the mag full but an empty chamber, ostensibly to be "safer". In my mind though, I was leaning toward a chambered round already but wanted to hear some wisdom from others. This is what I came up with.

I carry a Ruger LC9 semi-auto, my wife carries a Ruger LCR revolver. Semi-auto's are different now, with the double action trigger set, making that part just like a revolver. My wife's revolver is hammerless (concealed hammer anyway) and not nearly as prone to AD from dropping it as with classic hammered revolvers.

Essentially, with a full cylinder, my wife already carries with "one in the chamber" requiring only a trigger pull to fire. In my way of thinking, a round in the chamber in my LC9 is no different, as it requires a full DA trigger pull. With proper trigger finger training I see no difference in safety between the two weapons.

Reading this sticky was affirmation enough for me. I just pulled the slide and will always carry this way from now on. That extra half-second (or more if I happened to get fumble fingers) may just be the difference between me living through a worst case scenario or ending up the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider51 View Post
    Glad I read this sticky.

My wife's revolver is hammerless (concealed hammer anyway) and not nearly as prone to AD from dropping it as with classic hammered revolvers.
    Most modern firearms have a drop safeties, glocks and other semis have a metal (sliver) drum that when you pull the trigger, the trigger hits the drum, pushing it up, only then when the firing pin is struck, will it pop out where the round is.
    On my ruger revolver, the hammer is machined so it never touches the firing pin. When the trigger is pulled, a plate is pushed up, the hammer smacks the plate and the plate smacks the firing pin. No trigger pull no plate.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

Chambered, always.

Most definitely have a round chambered. While racking a round may take only a split second it is still an additional step to take, remember, and allow for.

Sponsored Links