POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to guns and especially conceal carry. I have now decided to arm myself and have 3 different defensive handguns. I go to ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 34 of 94 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
Like Tree698Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

One in the chamber

I am new to guns and especially conceal carry. I have now decided to arm myself and have 3 different defensive handguns. I go to the range often and have taken and applied fro my conceal carry permit. Being new to guns I don't feel comfortable having one in the chamber. I think the circumstances for when to have one in the chamber or not, for me, would change based on my threat level. At this time with my experience level I have noticed the more I get use to handguns my feelings change but I am not sure about carrying a chambered gun on a regular basis?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by parkcityguy View Post
    I am new to guns and especially conceal carry. I have now decided to arm myself and have 3 different defensive handguns. I go to the range often and have taken and applied fro my conceal carry permit.
    - Welcome to the forum.

Being new to guns I don't feel comfortable having one in the chamber.
    - I would get as much training as you can. Practice drawing a gun and learn proper trigger discipline. Draw 100 times or 1000 times until you learn not to put your finger on the trigger.

I think the circumstances for when to have one in the chamber or not, for me, would change based on my threat level. At this time with my experience level I have noticed the more I get use to handguns my feelings change but I am not sure about carrying a chambered gun on a regular basis?
    - The problem is that you don't know what your threat level is going to be. Things can happen very quickly and very badly, no matter where you are. One of the big problems with carrying unchambered isn't about the time it takes to chamber a round, it's the ability to chamber a round. You may be fending off multiple attackers with one arm, have an injured arm/hand or may be on your back with attacker on top of you, etc. That's not even considering technical problems you may have when trying to chamber a round under duress (short stroke, jams, etc).

At the end of the day, you should carry the way you feel comfortable, but you should be honest with yourself with the kind of situations you may find yourself in and your own physical abilities.
    Blkandrust likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Exactly correct Tokarblue. The most dangerous situations are those where a threat is not expected or imminent.

Surprise is the most effective strategy of most criminals.

If you are in situations or locations where you feel threatened you are going to be extra careful and observant so the liklihood of something
    happening is effectively reduced. The OODA Loop principles should be uppermost in your mind in those situations.

Most criminals can tell if someone is alert and ready. They will likely choose a weaker target.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I carry with a chambered round in my XD40, and admit to having an appreciation for the 1911-style grip safety. Otherwise, my 642 always has all 5 rounds in the cylinder with the long heavy DA trigger pull.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Always a round in the chamber then 13 stacked in the magazine of the .40 cal. Always one in the chamber and full magazine in the 9mm. 2-3 seconds is a short amount of time when your life is threatened enough to use deadly lethal force.
    Last edited by jphoenix; December 16th, 2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: reworded sentence

Had a false alarm the other day. Guy walked unit a store where we were shopping, stood at the entrance looking around with his hand in a shoulder bag. I went to red + in a nano second. I was right out of the safe distance threshold. If it would have gone south and I had to draw and rack, I would not be posting now. I did turn and loosen my weapon under my jacket. Wife finished checking out and we left the store. No news on a robbery the next day so it was all good.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I carry chambered, but when I get home, I clear it and store it in my lockbox where I can get to it easily.

I carry chambered. When I first started carrying my weapon, I felt uncomfortable with a chambered round but got over it. If the gun leaves the holster, you need to be ready and not fumbling around racking a round. I do use the safety with my Ruger SR9C ....DAO.

ALWAYS chambered. I would need two hands to chamber, unless I'm doing something fancy like racking the slide on my holster which I've heard of LEO training to do but never actually doing it. The point is, if I have my left hand on someone's face trying to keep them back, there will be no time/ability to rack the slide. I could be putting my left hand to much better use in a dangerious situation, racking the slide is a step I won't have time for plus if your trying to be sneaky or nondiscreet (don't want to alert the BG) racking the slide will totally give you away. It's already going to take time to pull from my IWB holster, no need to add more time by racking the slide.

Bersa 45 UC, chambered, de-cocked, with safety on. Draw, flick safety, first shot DA. Or, 642, fully loaded, always chambered, no safety.

Always one in the chamber, as long as the gun is well maintained, is holstered, and the trigger is covered then carrying this way is safe.

Round chambered

I carry with a round chambered with hammer down and safety on. Dose anybody else?

Which platform?
    GOD BLESS TEXAS!

I have an sa star pd 45, and found out in my manuel that its not a good idea. c/l is what i will be doing.

Chambered

My personal carry pistol is always loaded with a round in the chamber. I rigorously practice situational awareness to the best of my ability, and if I'm placed in a position where I draw my gun, it's to fire, not to posture.

Links