POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first answered this question I answered No Round In Chamber, because at the time I wasn't 100% comfortable carrying with one chambered. Since ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 35 of 94 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
Like Tree698Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

When I first answered this question I answered No Round In Chamber, because at the time I wasn't 100% comfortable carrying with one chambered.

Since then I've taken my CCW course, and been to the range as much as I could get out. I now carry chambered, with thumb safety on for my Ruger SR40c. I specifically trained myself to disengage the safety as I draw to the point where it is second nature now, and I practice draw a few times a day at the house. Carry 9 rnd mag + 1 in chamber for .40 - the 15 rnd mag makes it hard to conceal properly for me and the 9 rnd mag actually fits my grip better. Looking for a magazine holster in passing now, though I don't normally go to particularly sketchy neighborhoods so I'm not actively searching for one to buy in any specific time frame.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I know this has been said thousands of times, why would anyone carry an unloaded gun for protection. To use it as a club?
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I used to carry a few old single action revolvers with an empty under the hammer just in case of falling or the hammer getting hit by something. After the use of transfer bars on SA I stopped doing that. Carry everything semi or revolver fully charged now.

Chambered

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I know this has been said thousands of times, why would anyone carry an unloaded gun for protection. To use it as a club?
    As it has been responded thousands of times... It's a personal choice. A club is also a selfdefense option!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
    I carry with a round chambered with hammer down and safety on. Dose anybody else?
    Not for a 1911... One in the chamber, safety on ready to pop... It is dangerous to try to put the hammer down on a 1911.. You are likely to get an AD.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I carry with a round chambered, I have a trigger safety and a manual safety. My holster covers the trigger until the gun is fully drawn.

I wonder how many people though give themselves the chance to do the right thing in this post and that being always practicing awareness with their weapon. I don't carry yet but do carry a knife and threw out the day I am aware of it's presence cause I use it all the time. I at times will go home even to get it if I forget it just cause I'm use to it. If you don't get use to your weapon being with you/on you then you're going to be in trouble by not giving yourself enough reaction time to get away from any such action that's taking place.

I answered no round, since I mostly carry my Glock 23. My .357 Mag is a different story.

I always carry my G23 with a round in the pipe.

Thunder this is just a thought you might want to train some more, I have done so much time in combat and with weapons loaded in Condition 1 , human error can be avoided with quality and repetitive training. My weapons are always carried with a round in the chamber. Computers fail too, and a busted watch is right twice a day, with training you can over come your fear, anxiety and confusion which leads to human error.

Loaded or unloaded we treat our guns always like they are loaded. Why would we carry a gun with none in the chamber and treat it like it was loaded. Carrying unloaded seem like your going to have a choice. Did I put one in the chamber or not ? We treat all like they are loaded. That's the way I was trained by my CCW instructor. Has anyone been instructed different?
    Loaded the only way to go is one in the chamber.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Um No. I practice racking with left hand as I get on target. Pretty fast after all these years. No write or wrong here. I just do it the same EVERY time.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFan4010 View Post
    Um No. I practice racking with left hand as I get on target. Pretty fast after all these years. No right or wrong here. I just do it the same EVERY time.
    Most of the time I don't carry with one in the chamber either, as I posted quite a while ago. Some people don't realize exactly how quickly you can chamber a round if they don't practice it much, if at all. Don't have to worry about ND/AD at all (as long as we treat them like they are loaded every time), if a bg (or even a child) somehow gets your gun it will not fire without racking the slide, no bullet setback. There's a lot more benefits too but I don't have time to list them atm. As long as you practice, it makes no difference how you carry, anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't practiced it enough.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Glock 26 (factory 10 round mags), Trijicon HD Night Sights (orange front), CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe (horsehide), round chambered.

Links