POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 I don't understand. Is your gun unreliable that it can't be carried in Condition 1 in church or around children? You ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
Like Tree694Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I don't understand. Is your gun unreliable that it can't be carried in Condition 1 in church or around children? You do know that most (all?) modern firearms have drop safeties? I've carried in church, malls, soccer fields (even referee'd a few games)...and everywhere legal and never had a gun discharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon06 View Post
    And why aren't you comfortable?
    I really don't know how I could be any more clear. 99.9% of the time, I have carried at condition zero. On those particular occasions (we're talking a handful out of thousands of occasions), I did not feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. In terms of reliability, I have fired nearly 2,000 rounds through my current carry weapon and have not had one malfunction.

In terms of dropping? I personally haven't performed drop tests with any of my firearms to determine whether or not they could discharge when dropped. Have you?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    I really don't know how I could be any more clear. 99.9% of the time, I have carried at condition zero. On those particular occasions (we're talking a handful out of thousands of occasions), I did not feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. In terms of reliability, I have fired nearly 2,000 rounds through my current carry weapon and have not had one malfunction.
    Its clear that you don't carry on those particular occasions. The question is why not?
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Since all of my handguns are DA/SA, I carry condition 2--always. I've never understood carrying a pistol with no round chambered--not a judgement call, just my viewpoint.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

I have no real choice about carrying a chambered round or not. My Taurus PT125 has a tip-up barrel & cannot be fired without the initial round in the chamber. I'm new to CC & it's making me nervous thinking about it, but I'm learning more about gun safety.

Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    In terms of dropping? I personally haven't performed drop tests with any of my firearms to determine whether or not they could discharge when dropped. Have you?
    The problem as I understand it is you MAY grab the trigger when reaching for a gun in midair on its way to the floor and cause a discharge. My instructor said to raise your hands and never reach for a gun that you've fumbled. Let it fall to the ground. As far as I know all modern guns are made so they can't discharge when hitting the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlInNY View Post
    The problem as I understand it is you MAY grab the trigger when reaching for a gun in midair on its way to the floor and cause a discharge. My instructor said to raise your hands and never reach for a gun that you've fumbled. Let it fall to the ground. As far as I know all modern guns are made so they can't discharge when hitting the floor.
    Yeah, from what I understand, it's pretty much impossible for a striker fired handgun such as a Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P to discharge by dropping it onto the ground, but you won't find me doing any drop tests any time soon.

LC9 with 8 rounds.
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Doesn't do much good without a round in the chamber. I guess you could hit someone with it.

It's good for scaring people too. Sometimes I carry an airsoft gun for "scaring" people - then I have my real gun if I need it, with no round in the chamber. So I can pull out my airsoft gun - which is scary. Then I can pull out my real gun - things start to get confusing here - was the first gun real? Why did it make a plasticy clacking noise when he dropped it on the ground? Then I chamber a round - super scary! The last thing you do is turn the gun sideways for the "kill shot" as seen in the movie "Date Night"....the whole process takes a few minutes, but it's very effective.

Or so I'm told.

Austin
    TSiWRX likes this.

Round in chamber but my USP has a de-cocker therefore it is very unlikely for it to go of by just knocking into something because I carry in double action and safety off or I just carry it in single action but with the safety on.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Nope.

The odds of me needing my gun in self defense are very slim.
    The odds of me needing my gun in self defense .5 seconds faster, even more slim.
    Human error has shown time and time again that no matter how careful you think you are, stuff happens and you realize you are only human and the gun is only something humans create.
    kinda leaning at this

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    kinda leaning at this
    The chance of you needing it and NOT needing it in .5 sec is even slimmer.

I carry ready to go

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk ... Possibly from the crapper

The last thing I want to fuss with while potentially defending myself, is saying hang on a second, while I'm chambering a round. Guns are designed to carry with a chambered round. No better time to screw up is when you are under pressure.
    Snub44 likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I dont' know that I can add any great points to solve this debate but I follow the rules of gun safety at all times and carry with a round in the chamber. That is what makes sense to me.

Glock 22 Condition 1 all the time!

Links