POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber - Page 4

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd say the 'chambered' have it......

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Like Tree698Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

I'd say the 'chambered' have it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bump, cocked and locked allways.
    If you realy think that in a high stress situation you are going to be effective racking the slide, you go for it but just cause its smooth in your living room i wouldnt hang my hat in that. I myself would rather be worrying about getting off the x or delivering effective fire with the one bullet in my weapon that isnt subject to any type of feeding issue

RKM
    A great example. Right now, I havet 3 stitches just below my thumb in my wrist from and accident at work last night. I'd never be able to successfully chamber a round. I'm just now regaining about 75% of my grip strength.

cmb
    Chambered of course... LE and Military do it every day, what's the difference.

Ready to shoot in an instant...always.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Without a round in the chamber it is only a paperweight!!!
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Nope.

The odds of me needing my gun in self defense are very slim.
    The odds of me needing my gun in self defense .5 seconds faster, even more slim.
    Human error has shown time and time again that no matter how careful you think you are, stuff happens and you realize you are only human and the gun is only something humans create.
    I agree.I have read so many posts on this subject the answers are predictable.Most carry chambered.Many will say we are dumb because we do not,they will say the gun is useless with empty chamber,you will not have time,etc.I do not live in a war zone,not in the military in hostile territory. I believe to each their own.You have to make your own choice.Also these posts usually end in arguments and name calling.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I agree.I have read so many posts on this subject the answers are predictable.Most carry chambered.Many will say we are dumb because we do not,they will say the gun is useless with empty chamber,you will not have time,etc.I do not live in a war zone,not in the military in hostile territory. I believe to each their own.You have to make your own choice.Also these posts usually end in arguments and name calling.
    Do any subjective posts on forums not have argument and discussion...?
    MleeC likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

DC Founder
    In my opinion, not carrying with a round chambered is just a small notch above not carrying at all. If you are not confident enough in your weapon and/or your safety habits to carry chambered you may want to consider more experience with your gun or some safety/handling training. You may want to read scenarios number 1 and 2 on this website as well about the possible outcome of carrying chambered vs not chambered....
    tcon67 likes this.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    ... these posts usually end in arguments and name calling.
    They better not or there will be some deletions and/or infractions being sent out.

Carrying chambered or not was never a question for me. An external safety was something I wanted when I first started carrying but as I got more comfortable with carry, firearms in general and received more training even that didn't matter so much. I have carried a Glock for the last couple of months now and it's always chambered and topped off.

If people don't want to carry chambered that's fine by me.. it's not my neck. Who am I to say what people are trained and ready for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    In my opinion, not carrying with a round chambered is just a small notch above not carrying at all. If you are not confident enough in your weapon and/or your safety habits to carry chambered you may want to consider more experience with your gun or some safety/handling training. You may want to read scenarios number 1 and 2 on this website as well about the possible outcome of carrying chambered vs not chambered....
    It's not so much safety habits or confidence in the weapon for me Bumper. For me, it's that all important decision to shoot. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, there are no do-overs. You have to live with the decision that you made when you pulled the trigger. That extra split second that it takes to chamber a round is one more breath to identify the target and to decide if this is a situation where I want to use deadly force. I'm not a cop and I'm no longer in the military. I have no problem whatsoever avoiding trouble or backing away from a situation. Given a choice between fight and flight, my first instinct is flight. I'll run like hell. It's only when pushed into a corner with no other place to go and in fear of my life, that I'll fight and that's what the gun is for. In that situation, a round will already be chambered and my finger will be on the trigger. Some people may think that's stupid or naïve, but that's my decision. I've seen the scenarios of jewelry stores and liquor stores being robbed but I'm not going to find myself in one of those situations. I don't go walking through dark neighborhoods with my girlfriend at four in the morning either. I live on a cul-de-sac that hasn't seen any crime in the last thirty five years. There aren't any drug dealers in my neighborhood. The neighbors know each other and there's always somebody out working in the yard or walking their dog. There's one way in and out and you can't come through without somebody seeing you. If you make it past the neighbors, you still have the dogs to deal with. I've seen too many scenarios where friends, neighbors, and family members were mistaken for intruders and shot by someone with a round in the chamber. I'll take the extra time to chamber a round and live with the decision if I'm too slow. I would rather do that than live with the guilt if I pulled the trigger too quick and was wrong.

A hell of a lot of civilian self defense shootings happen in your face at very close distance, if not contact distance. It's the nature of the assault. The criminals are upon you before they even make their move to catch you off guard. Because of that, there is also going to be a proportional amount of "startle effect" as well. Often times, the defender is making a split second mad grab for his gun with a very real thought of "I'm already dead" near panic level thoughts running through their mind in a microsecond as they frantically go for their gun.

This kind of stuff really happens. Not many people expect to ever be in a gunfight. Even those who carry guns every day. They think they are prepared, but their subconscious is always telling them, "It won't happen to you." When it does happen, and a person is actually in a deadly encounter, it's a mad grab for the gun, at very close range, and they are usually pulling the trigger as fast as physically possible. During this microcosm of time, their mind is racing at mind numbing speed. The startle effect can be tremendous. And all this has a cumulative effect, and which is why two people can stand facing each other not 3 feet apart and both parties empty their guns yet neither person is hit by a single round. This has been heavily documented in not only civilian gunfights, but also with police officers who are well trained. I believe it was NYPD who did an extensive study of this regarding gunfights in the early 1980's.

Now with all these physical and emotional dynamics playing out at close contact with life and death hanging in the balance, at lightening speed, it is very likely you may not have both hands available to chamber a round, if you have the conscious wherewithal to even do so, because your free hand may be otherwise occupied attempting to fend off the attack. Either trying to push the assailant's gun out of your face as you attempt to draw, or to block against an incoming knife attack which is already in motion.

These kind of attacks are fast, furious, ferocious, along with an unprecedented level of raw fear you've likely never experienced before. Most people have never experienced the level of fear where you honestly believe you are already killed, you have just yet to experience the final impact you know is coming, like a freight train headed right at you.

Now man has a certain natural inner machismo where they believe as they read this, it's not going to happen this way. And they are not going to be so afraid that they crap their pants... Well, trust me, it happens. And with more frequency than you may imagine.

Face it, and be honest. What do you do for a living? Are you exposed to violence on a somewhat regular basis? Do you hang out in dangerous places and witness people getting killed in real life. Have you ever been that frightened before? Or are you a white collar guy who works in an office, or some trade far removed from violence. You never drive in dangerous parts of town, especially after dark, let alone walk around those areas outside the protection of your car. And most times you are safely home in your house all nice and cozy with the wife and kiddies by 9 pm.

You have to ask yourself, if suddenly, and without warning, when for the first time in your life, you are actually thrust in a true adrenaline charged, full body alarm mode, and with the real thought of "I'm going to die, Right Now!", do you think you're really going to have the forethought of actually being able to chamber a round in your weapon when you have less than one second to live. What if, during your frantic draw to get your gun out, that you "fouled your draw" by getting your shirt caught between the palm of your hand and the grip of your gun and wasted a good 3/4 of a second as your mind is trying to process that information. And again, what if your free hand is busy fending off knife slashes and stabs or is otherwise engaged in some other frantic activity.

The bottom line is this, carry your gun with a round in the chamber and live to go home to your family. I know of no professional self-defense shooting instructors anywhere who recommends carrying your gun without a round in the chamber. Not even the police carry guns without rounds in the chamber. At least in this country.

The only reason as I see it, not to carry with a round in the chamber is a fear that you are not competent with your weapon. Or, you don't trust the safety of your weapons mechanics. If either of those are the case... You Are Not Ready To Be Carrying A Gun In Public. As far as I'm concerned. But that last part is just my opinion. The rest of my post has been documented time and time again with studies and interviews with gunfight survivors.

The only stories we don't get are from the ones who didn't survive the encounter. Food for thought? You decide.
    MleeC and aceakarick like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with Bark'n,when I was an LEO there were some calls that as soon as you exited your vehicle you were unholstered and either had your weapon hidden behind your thigh or were at the ready position,that was back when we carried 357 magnums,In all reality by the time you recognize a threat and as a civilian feel that you need to draw to stop the threat without thinking you may be charged with brandishing or assault the perp may be in striking distance and drawing and firing from retention IOW drawing rotating gun up while forearm is against your side and shooting at point blank range will not give you the time or distance to rack the slide,It's also possible that before you can chamber a round you may be overpowered and be disarmed.These are all valid points,most ND's that happen with firearms being carried are usually due to either no holster or a cheap Uncle Mikes one size fits all type holster,Most of first time carriers have experienced Fobus and Uncle mikes holsters and over time learned that a good quality holster is worth the money just for the security and protection it offers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

All of my guns are DAO and all have a round chambered. I carried without a round chambered for about a week when I first got my permit over a decade ago. When I realized that the trigger wouldn't go off itself, I made the decision to always have a round chambered. I then practiced drawing my firearm hundreds of times to instill proper trigger discipline in myself.

IMO, the biggest reason to carry chambered isn't for speed. You may not have a free hand or the ability to rack the slide. You may be fighting off an attacker or have someone on top of you. It's also possible that one of you sustain and injury to your hand or arm during the attack. All of those situations make racking the slide very difficult, if not impossible. Not to mention the possibility of a poor rack causing jams, etc.

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Links