POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber - Page 40

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree, but knowing my gun is loaded ready to go makes me feel better. To each there own. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 40 of 94 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
Like Tree699Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Re: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

I agree, but knowing my gun is loaded ready to go makes me feel better. To each there own.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What good is a defense gun that isn't ready to go?

I prefer a carry gun that is double action on the first shot and single action after that.

I considered the Sig P238, but I didn't like the lack of a hammer release lever. I didn't want to carry cocked and locked with one in the chamber. When fractions of a second in a stressful situation count, I also don't want to have to deal with turning off the safety.

I opted for the Sig P232. It is a little bigger, but still pretty small. I'm comfortable with the double/single action and lack of a safety.

-SF

Some time ago there was a video going around of a jewelry store robbery where the owner tried to rack a round under pressure and got shot a few times; never managed to get the round loaded- the owners is now on the floor bleeding the perp jumped the counter and proceeded to kick and beat on the dying owner. IMO that says it all, no matter what we may "think" we can do, when it comes down to our lives on the line, we may find out (albeit too late) that we were wrong. Pistols are made to be carried with a round in the chamber and doing otherwise may be at one's own peril in reality. It is for certain a personal decision but one which IMO has to be determined on how positive YOU are that You can always get the round loaded under all circumstances, and situations which IMO is not possible much less likely.
    Snub44 and gejoslin like this.

...the police, God love 'em, are the last ones I look to for the example I'll follow...having been one, known many, and trained a few, I know they're not the old man on the mountain where carry/shooting practices are concerned...look for an old grey haired man who's self taught and handled guns a lot for a lotta years...
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    I'm not the police. I don't have lawyers provided for me and a union backing me up in the event of any sort of firearm mishap.
    gejoslin likes this.

Glock 27 in DeSantis Nemesis - pocket carry weak side. M&P full sized .40 @ 5 o'clock - various different holsters.

Both chambered always. If they are not on me then they are in the safe. Period.

when I was deployed to Afghanistan I had a round in the chamber 110 % of the time only time any of my fire arms did not have a round chambered was when I was cleaning them. now since im home my bed side gun keeps a round in the chamber and my carry gun keeps a round in the chamber I usually use a iwb or pocket holster for my jacket I carry a pt 145 or a small revolver for now some times both depends what I fell the threat level is

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    I'm not the police. I don't have lawyers provided for me and a union backing me up in the event of any sort of firearm mishap.
    Look into your legal defense options now rather than waiting until after you have an incident.

As for me, I always have a round chambered.

One in the chamber.......always.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Chambered in a DA / SA hammer down

If it is a semi auto, I want to make sure the first round is already chambered. If things unfold fast my other hand may be busy, you never know. In a crisis in the heat of the moment you might short cycle it trying to chamber a round, it may misfeed, etc. I want to be certain the first shot is ready to go. That said, I don't feel real comfortable with a cocked and locked gun with a chambered round either. I know many do it, and each to his own. I like having the round already chambered, but the first shot is a long trigger pull. I feel this is just as fast if I need it, with a safety margin of having to pull the trigger a good distance before it goes off. I would never feel comfortable knowing I might have to try to chamber a round in a crisis.

I was a LEO from '77 to '09...of course, I carried a chambered round. When the stuff hits the fan, htere will not be ehough time to chamber a round...please, be prepared. Still do in both .40 cal or .45
    BigCityChief likes this.

No point in having it on you. Your life may depend on it and you might not have time to chamber a round!

Dave

chevydave, RI

Round chambered, regardless of which gun I'm carrying. It just takes too long under pressure for me to chamber a round to not do it in advance.

Always carry a round in the chamber. There is no time out in a gunfight.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    http://www.bullseyehandgunstraining.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BullseyeHandgunsTraining

A round in the chamber. DAO autoloader, SA/DA revolver, DAO revolver or even a SA autoloader (cocked and locked.) There's no time to rack the slide when the "$hit hits the fan."

Scott

GH
    It's kind of hard to add that extra round without having one chambered already. Maybe not too important with high-cap magazines but in places like NY which limit the mag to 7 rounds it becomes increasingly important. 8 is better than 7. I have 14 round magazines & always top it off to make it 14+1.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Links